Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » remedies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: remedies
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any suggestions to remedy a nasty head cold? this one's got me by the throat, literally...don't want to end up in hospital...please

i'm hydrating, eating fruit chicken soup, bed rest and tons of ny-quill, so far, nothing but tons of nose, well, you know, can't hardly breathe good...

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful Frank.... you don't want to let that go into pneumonia if you say you cannot breathe good.

If you're saying you can't breathe out the nose, have you tried getting a washcloth as steaming hot as you can stand and then holding it over your face? Do that several times, and it will relieve some pressure.

Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
onions- cut & placed around you in the room (then throw them away, daily)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, Ask your Pharmacist. (no not the street Phramacist) Im thinking something like Sudafed, but sitting here at home I cant think which one. ALso you may want to check if whatever you choose would have conflicts with any medications your already taking. The pharmacist would be able to tell you that too.

Ask someone from the Northeast, colds is a regular part of life here.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mega doses of vitamin c,....I get the halls vitamin c candy packaged just like the cough drops and eat them like m&m's

seems that ya gotta be careful not to take so much that it gives ya indigestion and it doesn't prevent or cure anything,..all I know is it makes me feel alot better,...

[ February 12, 2010, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian's reply in regards to Onions for what its worth to you and I personally agree as the following is kept in a folder of my foods archive. BTW these are not my stories

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was a Doctor that visited the many
farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu. Many of the farmers and their family
had contracted it and many died. The doctor came upon a farmer, and to his surprise,
everyone was healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different, the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home,
(probably only two rooms back then). The doctor was skeptical, and asked if he could have
one of the onions to examine under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he found the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore,
keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from a woman in AZ.: She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.. (And no, she is not in the onion business)

Ok, so here's what you do: buy some onions, place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, put one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. If this helps you and your love ones from getting sick, all the better. Whatever, what do you have to lose? Just a few bucks on onions.
Now, there is a P. S. to this - I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions: Thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmers' story... but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia and needless to say, I was very ill. I came across an article that said to cut both ends off and onion, put one end on a fork, and then put the forked end into an empty jar - placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs. Sure enough, it happened just like that. The onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EAT CLAMS

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: depending on how long you've had it, I'd see a doc. Other than that, hot tea, plenty of sleep, & sweating it out, literally. Wrap yourself in a blanket, take nyquil & wake up covered in sweat, then take a hot shower.

Interesting post Joey. I wonder if part of why it works is because the smell of the onions or garlic keeps people (& their germs) away. [Smile]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any good ideas for remedies, but I do hope you get feeling better soon.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Onions story sounds like you have nothing to loose and I would like to hear if it helped.

On the Mexicano side of it we used home grown they also sell in the markets "Mint leaves" boil them and make a tea out of it, sometimes even a shot of tequila JD, or what ever you like in it helps breaks out the sweat. works for me...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple thought, when onions are cut open they turn black when left in a room, the black is bacteria which the onions absorb, most sickness is from bacteria.

simple fact: a fart smells worse then an onion when left unattended

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, go to a doctor. They're nice people. Really!

Don't risk letting it turn into pneumonia.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nose spray (like Afrin) it only works for about 4 days but it opens you up.
Or saline nose drops.
Your throat is probably sore from all that congestion and post nasal drip.
Also, try gargling with salt water as hot as you can stand it, it is very soothing and healing.
Don't swallow it though!
Hope you feel better soon, Frank.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank, if you can find a fresh Euclyptus tree around there , cut some tender leaft and wash them frist the put them on pot and boilt till the water get a little lite yellow then put two spoon of honey and drink two to three a day and it will clean out all in you head.
I hope this helps.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 3 months ago I had a friend drop off the same 1919 story of onions that Joey reports, word for word.

Nettie Pot - a pot with a pointed spout, use Sea Salt and water and slowly pour through one nostril and let exit through the other nostril. Feels weird, but helps break up mucous and flush out bacteria.

Wool sock around the neck with something like Vick's Vaporub. I haven't personally done it, but my husband has. Says it itches but the heat the wool generates, helps. This is used more for a sore throat or chest congestion. But you know how a cold can head south pretty quick. Hope you're feeling better soon!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the Nettie Pot for the win on clearing out the nasal congestion.

If you can't locate one, you can also use an Ayr Nasal rinse kit which you can get at the pharmacy. It's a plastic squeeze bottle that comes with pre-measured packets of salt/sodium bicarbonate which you mix with water, seal against a nostril and let the fun fly.

I've also used sport bottles and my Camelback for the same use when in a pinch. [Smile]

Or any other way you can get water up one nostril and drain out the other will work.

Flush, blow out the loosened "material", repeat as needed.

The nice thing is, the salt in the solution causes the body to draw more moisture into those affected tissues, which brings a little extra relief or at least keeps them from getting all dried out and irritated, and the saline solution is perfectly safe and won't damage any tissue. If you mix it with a little too much salt you could feel a bit of a burn if you're not used to it but you can flush it.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A diffuser from "Samara Botane" keeps me open.
With many flavors of oils.

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An allergy can present like a head cold. And you can develop an allergy to something you were never allergic to before. Thet happened to me when I became allergic to cats all of a sudden and had to send our 2 cats away - I was clear agqain in less than a month.
If it is cold:
Sounds like the onions would be better as prevention. Try ZINC to shorten symptoms.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a real bad head cold in college and went to the college nurse- they couldn't really prescribe heavy medication, but one of the best things that they gave for the throat was a small plastic container of salt- and the instructions on how to mix it with hot water and gargle! They claimed it was better than any prescription. I still use that remedy today!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks all, i'm leaving my machine open for those here to enter w/o password as i've passed the point, i'm headed for hospital, leaving shortly, totally can't breathe and chest is clogged up, i fear the worse, should've acted sooner and i really know better, again, thanks...

those here will provide updates as they come...

frank

--------------------
Frank Magoo,

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get well soon- VERY soon!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew, dodged a bullet....as this a rural setting, we have an all volunteer fire dept. which has a RN on staff who works in the city...today was her day on station, thankfully...when the ambulance arrived, she was on board and took over immediately, rendering to me w/all her expertise...first thing she determined is I didn't need to go to hospital...she first started an IV, followed by some sort of medicine via injection and, you'll love this, a jar w/a chopped up onion thru a vaporizer...within minutes my airway unclogged and I started breathing as usual again...so now I'm back at the house, bundled up, have my oxygen bottle, little mask and a onion jar vaporizer in room, stinkn' it up; feeling much better than before...got to admit, this last few hours were scary to say the least...

One thing I learned today is that rural folks are very versatile and don't have a high opinion of city folks, main reason this nurse tried everything she knew to keep out of the city hospital; I thank her immensely...so it's back to kleenex, fruit, water, now onions and lots of rest...should be back to par in a day or two...

Sorry to scare anyone, but I'm going to be fine, just tired out and wanting to sleep...later my friends, trust your country nurse.... [Smile]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zinc

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, relieved to hear you're on the mend.
You had me worried.
Have you tried Rapid Prep?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy that is something to remember.. Onions... never heard that one before, glad you're doing better.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Onions story is a hoot though. Maybe they turn black being exposed to the air and other natural causes.
I know they are not the be all and end all for information but here is Snopes take on the onion myth: http://www.snopes.com/medical/swineflu/onion.asp

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

David, might be, but I'm enjoying the smell of freshly percolating onions and I am feeling better, whether it's the onions or the natural process, I don't know, just that it's working for me, maybe it's the medicine I was injected with, got a snopes on that? j/k

I feel much better today, breathing good and generally comfortable, I'm also doing the vapor rub around neck and researching zinc, not alot out there on it's application though, got any info along those lines for me? Dave?

Anyway, thanks all, another remedy you have inadvertily all shown me, is compassion, thank you all for caring, that in it's self is a very good healer...

--------------------
Frank Magoo,

Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Rick: lol, if I was going to paint me, maybe, but I'm not really a fan of the product, it doesn't work for me, must be a hidden secret and I'm not sure if rubbing it on or drinking it would be all that smart...besides, it's expensive and makes one do the side step...I'll op for the vapor rub...lol

--------------------
Frank Magoo,

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!