Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Gilded 1896 Hearse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gilded 1896 Hearse
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got an e-mail from my good buddy Terry Colley, across the pond in England. He works on stuff you just don't see over here - from his e-mail: "did a pinstripe line on a Rolls Royce9 Freehand with a mack brush (Joey would a bin proud of me!) on Monday and spent the rest of the week gilding a hearse from 1896"

Here's a photo of the hearse:

-

Fantastic, as always, Terry...........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny,
Speaking of hearsessss. I just put my 1952
Mercedes Benz 170v Hearse up for sale on Kijiji.

It is a project that I probably would not be
able to get around to working on for a long while.

I moved into the city and am about ready to
re-open the business, so it must go.

Not anywhere close to as beautiful as the one
you posted, but in the right hands it could clean
up nice.

It would have been nice to drive it down to South Carolina in April.
monk

-

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Sonny, I think that is the most ornate hearse I have ever seen. Terry.. outstanding job.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it, well done Terry, nice job mate,

Brian.

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful Hearse Terry and nicely done, love the gold yet happy to see from the distance, here horsey!!

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny/Terry, is that frosted ivy on the glass? pretty slick coach!

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me of a story of a fellow signman who worked in Chicago a couple years in the 70s as a journeyman sign painter. He painted a showcard to be put on display at a viewing of a body in a mortuary. Unfortunately, they gave him some erroneous information and he had to go back and change it. Unfortunately, just as he began, the director came in and said someone was coming in to view the body and could he duck down behind the casket and bier. He had his maul stick in his hand and brush with his little pallet. He ducked down as the person came in to pay their last respects an hour before the regular viewing, but the viewer hung around a long time. My friend stayed down, out of sight, but naturally, he had eaten some onion ring at lunch and after a couple minutes, felt a terrible flatulence coming on. He could not contain himslef and let rip a big hotel special fart.... Well...the guy screamed! My friend stood up and the viewer thought he was seeing a ghost with a maul stick. My friend thought it was uncontrolably funny and tried in all his might to NOT LAUGH. The director came in and all three let out huge laughs. He touched up the sign and skedaddled outta there fast!

Moral is to not eat onion rings before having to go touchup a showcard at a mortuary.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful-looking hearse!
(did the spokes get gilded stripes on them later?)

( I once striped a 1922 Silver Ghost roller about 20 years ago- it was onto its third owner- there was a name plaque on the dashboard with the former owners' details, and I think either the first or second owner was a parson in Shropshire, UK- perhaps it had been a gift from a wealthy dying parishioner...)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a beautiful hearse. I love to see pics of old carriages of all sorts.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is incredible.
Terry does some amazing work.

Monk,
I tried to find your ad but nothing came up. Just wondering what you are asking for your hearse?

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikkes....quite amazing and Terry does some terrific work. Sonny....you'll have to get him to show off this massive gate he and Allan Brindle re-gilded in the Manchester area.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an amazing historical piece Sonny - and the gilding looks great!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Colley
Visitor
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Colley   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first of two I have to do this one is Welsh, built in Cardigan in 1896 and is still in use does 2-3 funerals a week pulled by two fresian horses. The next one I have to do is Irish from about the same period
Darcy, The glass is sandblasted and is a later addition. Ian, The stripes were already on the wheels but in my opinion and the owners are a bit heavy, maybee a job for for later, Doug I will find a picture of the gates to post. Back to this weeks job A pub sign Rose n Crown

--------------------
Terry Colley
The VintageSign Co
42 barrack hill Romiley Stockport
Cheshire, England sk6 3az
tel 0161 494 5089
terry@bullandbrush.fsnet.co.uk

Posts: 210 | From: England | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!