Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Remember when?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remember when?
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just browsing Dan Anontelli's website admiring his retro Logo designs, among others and I got to reminincing about my early days in design and lettering and screen printing. How many on here remember the Clip Art books you could subscribe to, they were big newspaper size glossy black and white publications that carried various subject matter. Laying down letreset, boy that stuff was expensive.. if you think fonts are expensive, then letreset was gold. I used to spend a lot of my youth in a dark room, making positives using a huge 2 room process camera... I'd have the radio on listening to my favourite just released tunes of the time. Dire Straights Sultans of swing, the Steve Miller Band, and so on. Making Pounce patterns using some copy I layed out on Ilustration Board, making sure the size would fit on that small 8"x8" shelf that slid in the projector. Then projecting that onto the wall and then tracing it out using a soft pencil.... Feeling a little meloncholy here today. Just some nice memories.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember going through those books. What a pain. I suppose they've switched to CD's. I would hope so.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a photo-typositor. Our fonts were on filmstrips and we exposed one letter at a time on a strip of developer wetted photo paper. Once that was fixed and dried it went to the copy board of our 14' long camera. Ours was so old the it was literally made of finger joined mahogany framework which had burn marks on it from the original carbon arc exposure lights. We shot our film positives, stuck them on the overhead projector, traced them out and hand cut the amberlith.

I miss the old days. . . .occasionally.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still remember the smell of the wax that was used for cut and paste work at my first design jobs. That is ancient history now.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never could get the mammoth to hold still long enough to finish the painting on the cave wall.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, were you born in a log cabin sign shop too?

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, we had to grow our own logs to build the cabin.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"clipper" was one of those magazines

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have about 30 or 40 of those giant books- my wife hates the fact that I won't throw them away, they are a bugger to store- I got them from an art director of a newspaper- they were all from the early to late 80's and have some really good lettering samples, back before everything was computer generated.

I still have all my Rapidograph pens and markers- I used to hand draw everything in pen-n-ink on frosted acetate, including lettering, reproduced from a type style book.

by the way, I ran across my antique Opaque projector- which needs a bulb replacement- boy, that thing has some miles on it...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. . .Rubber Cement, anyone?

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the old adjustable ruling pens you dipped in ink? We exposed silk screens with the old carbon arc lamps until the suppliers couldn't get the carbon rods anymore in the early 90's.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Neil, I remember it well. I could've funded a retirement program on what we spent on Letraset.

Our projector was so old that instead of a bulb, you built a fire inside it.

Remember how they used to distort, in both directions? And you had to keep moving it around and re-aligning everything.

And worst of all, remember (I hope) when you laid out a billboard in Letraset, and blew it up on the projector, and it wasn't big enough? So you had to blow it up twice??? Suck-O.

I sometimes used to think those old 'snappers' who used to just draw a couple lines and start lettering, had the right idea. Not really.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anybone else here learn photography using the old 4 x 5 press cameras? Those thing took great photos. We had to learn to load the sheet film in the dark and read the braille notches on the edge of the film to make sure the emulsion was on the right side of the holder.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I can say how lucky I was to have learned to hand letter and memorize all the basic fonts. No looking up this font or that. And to have the ability to extend, condense, slant and whatever.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I started, they had not invented paint, yet, so we used bison blood and carbon from the fire. They did not have plywood yet, so we had to paint on hand hewn logs with brushes made from beaver fur and cat tails. We had to use a candle and a mirror to blow up various letters from the Sears and Roebuck catalogue and faintly see them on the log cabing wall, but the pay was certainly better. Dragging a sign to the location behind my horse was always problematic and I could never seem to get all the splinters out of my hands.

Then came along Letterset! Wow! I had pages and pages of Cooper Block leftover with all the popular letters missing. I always wanted to get a sign that had alot of Js and Qs in it, but never seemd to score. Remember those little hash registration marks beneath the letters that were never exactly right? I forever cursed the separation between Ls and As as in Lawrence, Ks, where I went to art school in an old Jayhawk cave.

Then one day, I noticed in Signs of the Times a company in Arizona that did computer cut vinyl letters. It was probably 1978. I had a big project where I needed hundreds of wood types all the same size in white helvetica. They were ourageously overpriced, but were definitely a time saver and a quality notch above doing them all by hand. The client, unfortunately was hit by a tornado and I got to do a redo of the entire project. Big bucks back then.

Well, I miss the good old days, but think about it. With no internet to connect with you all and share ideas, it was just kinda boring. Many thanks to Barb and Steve for cooking up this great forum!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bill riedel:
Now I can say how lucky I was to have learned to hand letter and memorize all the basic fonts. No looking up this font or that. And to have the ability to extend, condense, slant and whatever.
Bill

Amen to that Bill!!!!

I used Letraset a few times, found the whole process to be very time consuming [Bash]
I did use the Letraset book as a source of letterstyles though.
I worked as a journeyman in a couple of commercial shops in the seventies. You HAD to be able to do a direct layout on your own and also be able to layout from a scale sketch. Patterns on a wall were almost never used.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always fun to hear you old guys talk about the good ol' days. [Smile]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
early days at lamar advertising when I had to come up with billboard designs i would blow up the company logos on the copier and then hand draw them the size i needed using triangles and t squares for the straight line fonts and hand drawing curved fonts laster. I had nothing but lectraset markers and they came out with a cool attachment that would slow air over the tip of the marker to simulate airbrushing LOL

i also remember when they got me a kroy lettering machine with about 5 discs for the different fonts
 -

I also remember letraset. I would actually place them on overhead onto a wall and make layouts I would take to customers in the early days. Needless to say the layout just about all looked the same,....man I cant imagine going thru that again.

and the thought of spending 1 week hand lettering and airbrushing a van or truck body was the norm

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go along wilth Bill and George!

Once you mastered the basic alphabets, Letraset and Speedball Handbook were all you needed as a guide for any style that was needed.

Paper patterns on walls? Only for intricate logos. They were used for vehicles or where there would be multiples of a sign to save layout time.

I still think those were the Good Old Days...probably because sign painters were respected as artists and craftsmen.

Just my 2¢

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Memories are made of this!

I still have my old stripprinter and around 100 font film strips, Ramsey, film line cutters for rubylith positives and negatives. Speedball pen nibs and book from the 50's.

I also have my opaque projector for enlarging work, elipsograph's large and small, pantograph, letraset & prestype letter pages, old 110v carbon arc lamp with several boxes of carbons which I still use today for exposing my screens.

I have many other old tools of the trade, I could open a museum. I learned the old time craft of hand lettering and striping and was able to design and execute all my own work form truck lettering, designing as well as art work for multiple color screen process, logo and font creation.
[Thanks] for the memories!

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Len, I've got a couple of boxes of carbon rods (still in use-mind the fumes though- Thanks, Dave!), and like Bruce, I have about eight or nine Kroy font discs & a defunct machine that needs to go to a museum...(and two opaque projectors that might come in handy one day again...)

and like Bill, I still have one of those pencils in the kit that can automatically condense, extend and italicise letters as required- great inventions, they were!

(edited a typo)

[ February 01, 2010, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man how much of the amberlyth I used to cut by hand, with one of those swivel Knives.. I used to have a beautiful Knife.. it had a marble like handle and it was so smooth in my hand.... What I hated using was the water soluble stuff.. I believe that was the Amber? The ruby was the one that you used for emulsion? If you got the water solule stuff to wet it disintergrated...but it was great when you nailed it..then if it was to dry, it would peel back from the screen.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

You mean the green film that adhered to the screen? I worked with an old guy who was good at getting it to stick. He used to paint paper grocery store signs as well. He would use printers ink thinned with gasoline and smoke cigarettes at the same time!

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who used to set type on one of those old linotype machines. This was at the newspaper where I used to go through those old clip art books. Many many years of sitting at that weird keyboard with the molten pot of lead cranking out type. They said how bad that was for the typesetters because the pot kept the lead in a liquid state 24/7. Well he's 82 now and can still kick my arse on the golf course and I end up in championship flite almost every year.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An elderly senior couple were invited to an old friends home for dinner one evening.

She was impressed by the way her lady friend preceded every request to her husband with endearing terms such as: Honey, My Love, Darling, Sweetheart, Pumpkin, etc.

The couple had been married almost 70 years and, clearly, they were still very much in love.

While the husband was in the living room, her lady friend leaned over to her host to say, 'I think it's wonderful that, after all these years , you still call your husband all those loving pet names'.

The elderly lady hung her head. 'I have to tell you the truth,' she said, 'his name slipped my mind about 10 years ago, and I'm scared to death to ask the cranky old a$$hole what his name is.'

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I remember having the greatest joy, when getting into computers, at the fact that you could generate a perfect oval/ellipse shape, of any proportions, with no flat spots, and just print it out & project it up on what you wanted.

I think for me that was one of the most momentous occasions- about 9 years before we got a plotter...

(circles & rectangles were easy enough at any size, but a good oval took some work to get right!)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Making paint cups from a note card. Opaque projectors. Hand cuting amber and rubylith. Using 3 pins to make an oval. Ah those were the dazs. Are we old? I think we are just creating stories for all those young guys.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I grew up around those linotypes, at the keyboard was my Mom, her and her Dad owned operation, at one time, very large, but scaled down on advent of hot type or was it cold type, don't remember, but remember reporting to news office on a daily basis to make the "lead pigs" that fed machine...I also learned to set type/copy, in fact, all facets of business...

Tom: I didn't think anyone knew how to make a cup out of flat piece of paper or lite cardboard (not a common trick), used to floor others when I'd do it and they'd spend rest of time seeing when it'd leak, which it never did after I mastered technique, lol....

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I wonder how many folks know how to 'snap' a chalk line ? ha ha !! Still do it every day

Brian.
www.brianthebrushuk.com

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!