Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Who's going to the Saskekalahewata Meet in Oklahoma?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's going to the Saskekalahewata Meet in Oklahoma?
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody?

How far from the OKC Airport is the meet?
What is the most poplualar/closest motel to the meet?
What is the weather like in March?
Anything else I should know?
Helpful Details?

(Yes I tried calling the Self's, but just got their answering machine...I need answers to help with my plans...I will call them again on Monday)
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather could be anywhere from zero to 90 degrees - I've been there at both.

Many stay at Red Roof Inn or LaQuinta - both on I-40 and Meridian, which is not near to Fred's but convenient. I don't know of any place that is within walking distance.

I've only flown there once and someone picked me up at the airport, so I wasn't concerned with how far away it was.

Fred's is near downtown OKC and close to the junction of I-35 and I-40 so getting in and out is really easy.

I drive from central Texas - about five hours.

Fred's is very casual with lots of different folks attending. Come prepared to participate in the various projects and conversations. There is no formal agenda or demonstrations as such. If you want to know something or see something explained, just ask.

Fred and Marilyn serve coffee and donuts for breakfast, a lunch and dinner...along with snacks and drinks all day. There is never a reason to leave unless you want to.

Some folks just stay all night but things usually break up around midnight (or earlier for us older folks).

It's the closest thing to an old time Letterhead gathering that you will find. And everyone falls in love with Fred and Marilyn, of course.

[ January 30, 2010, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dates???

Total agreement w/Ray on his assessment of the Self's, finer people would be hard to find...and yes, IT'S the premier event of the year, all catagories...

(We have stayed and will this time, at the Red Roof off I-40, 3 miles from Fred's)

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dates are March 12,13,14.

Right now, I'm not sure that I will be able to be there this year...but I sure am going to try.

Maybe the Sign Fairy will send some work my way.

I never got my pin striping lesson from Frank last year (not his fault, but mine) so I really need to be there.

[ January 30, 2010, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't make it this year.

I'm the best man in a wedding on March 13. Of course, when I asked the groom: "If I'm the best man, why's she marrying you?", I got "the stare". I see that a lot. Must be something wrong with everyone's eyes...

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Lindenberger
Visitor
Member # 10772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Lindenberger   Email Jack Lindenberger       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't make it, Way to many things going on! miss seeing you al!

--------------------
Jack Lindenberger
1927 Theatre Dr.
Evansville, Indiana

Posts: 9 | From: Evansville, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonna miss you too Jack. I'm going, Ron's not.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I plan to be there. Only an hour away for me.

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Susan

Yep...the weather up there has kept the shop closed since Wednesday...
but I just spoke to Fred...as I am helping to line up a couple of projects for those interested in glass...

Reg, a glass carvin buddy from Maryland...with a desire to do a lot in the color area is coming...so I am putting together that plus some abalone inlay combined with several other effects applied to glass... flat, mirror, glass plates, and jars...with indian design....and not one of them is going to have the word "whiskey" or "cigar" on them...:)unless of course you want to put them on there. The approach will be more artistic than making a functional piece like a sign... I have purchased some cool glass containers and plates...(will cost a couple of bucks each extra) cuz I like some diversity!
But when was the last time you saw an indian design with gold and abalone inlay... [Smile] ...and I am bringing up some metal flake that JM turned me onto...to incorporate as well....should be fun.

and of course...you probably have not played with a pabblaster...Bob Pickard will be there with his toys...

Here is a taste of what you can do...I have been recreating cigar labels...but I want the embossed look of the coins and one of the projects during my gatherings has been to concentrate on these type of highly detailed reproductions...so here is a sample piece I did... and it only measures 2" in diameter...
 -

so now you know what you'll be missing!... [Smile]

Robert

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1023 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Sounds like some very interesting projects.

Robert always has some unique stuff that he's working on.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert is my friend and very innovative for what he is into and his concrete signage is second to none. Robert, bout time for another trip up this way, wouldn't ya think?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Robert....that is sooo incredible, and soooo teeny tiny. I'll have to bring my magnifier googles. It sounds like many neat things will be shared. I hope the severe weather is easing up for the Selfs and the airport will be open by March (ha ha).

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Y'all

Raymond...it keeps me out of trouble... [Smile]

Joey...Man ...that work on the living room was awesome...ya da man!...You have been busy!...and yes...I just lost a huge project out your way...and thought that would be an ongoing excuse to come out and visit..but the Chinese won over again...until of course things start falling apart...but yes...a trip up would be great...or I just need to get you down here! We shall see!..and I too appreciate your friendship...You have much to share!

Susan...I am not going to throw out comparisons...as any meet is a good meet..but I can guarantee ya things you have not seen before... [Smile] ...in glass that is!

The coin can be carved ...but the next step is to use acid to bring the polish back up...so that when the coin is gilded, it will look real in reference to the rest of the piece...Now that is the challenge... [Smile] ...without shooting clear in there...

You get to Fred's and we will get you wherever you need to go...I always stay there at the shop through the meet so I could let ya borrow my truck...(road test first)...LOL

Robert

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1023 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Thanks for the offer of your wheels Robert...
I have just booked a flight, rental car and motel. I will arrive a day or two early and stay a day later to do some sight seeing. See you'all there...eh!.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Howdy Susan

Well..very cool...just let me know how we can help out...

and I am preparing several examples of works from the Haida, Tlingit, and Kwakiuti tribes (Northwest Indian Tribes), that I ma modifying for the various shape glass I am bringing...That should be fun...

I also just got a hold of some new stuff I have never tried and I am excited to try it out...this weird oxidized leaf from Japan, a unique array of new micas and flake...some new size to try...and what ever else I can pack in my truck...right next to the kitchen sink!

OH...and you know the ISGG piece we did at Noel's...I used a chameleon pearl in the marbling and I think it turned out cool...:)I will have to try to bring it.

so there ya go... [Smile]

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Susan, if you like Western art, the Cowboy Hall of Fame is filled with great works.

The Federal Building Memorial is outstanding, but be prepared for an emotional experience. It drains the energy out of you, so I would suggest that you go there late in the day and then directly to your hotel. You don't want to say a lot after going through the museum...but it is once in a lifetime experience.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

This year I'm going to make an extra special effort to get there because Joe Crumley has offered to buy me the biggest steak in Bricktown. That's something that I surely don't want to miss.

Wonder if he would include Mark Yearwood in the deal?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Robert, all that new stuff sounds pretty terrific.
Ray, I love Western art so will be sure to visit the Cowboy hall of fame.

If any of you have requests for any Canadian stuff that I can bring with me, just ask....maybe some ...Nanaimo Bar?

Thanks for all the input.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

How about some of that Canadian money?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Ray Skaines
Visitor
Member # 3702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Skaines   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Skaines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look forward to seeing everyone. Raymond, I hope you and Mike can make it.

R

--------------------
Ray Skaines
League City, Tx
www.srsigns.com

Posts: 130 | From: League City, Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Ha Ha, Raymond...I'll see if I can find some quick drying. non smudging ink for my desktop printer and bring some coloured money.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Canada does have some funny looking paper money, but what I really like are those round coins...the big ones.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!