Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What's the consensus on file storage this year?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the consensus on file storage this year?
Sherye Bergmann
Resident

Member # 3067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sherye Bergmann   Email Sherye Bergmann       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that at least once a year the file storage question comes up and I haven't seen it in a while so I'm curious as to whether or not there are any new latest, greatest methods of job file storage to keep your system running top notch! Still burning everything to CD's, external hard drives or just backing up to Carbonite or Mirra? Or is there something better out there?

--------------------
Sherye
SignSource
Wilmington, NC

Posts: 82 | From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carbonite works for me!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using a combination of things: External drives, DVD backup every so often, Mac Time Machine backup which is a regular mirror backup, Mozy online storage backup-

I'm sick of losing files- After losing almost 1500 photos when my Laptop hard drive crashed (hadn't had the opportunity to move any off of my laptop) and then later finding out that my Mozy account had backed them up automatically and I was able to retrieve them ALL- I enthusiastically endorse Mozy- and now have unlimited storage space for less than $5/month...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
buffalo tera-station... a NAS on steroids

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the online back systems are an answer.

But in my opinion.. They are good only as a last resort. I would not use one.

It takes many days to upload a backup.

It will take days to down load a backup of any reasonable size. There is nothing better than a good old onsite system.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt, I'm looking at external hard drives, a good move?

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis- you are correct, it did take a while to upload at first- but it now does it automatically, and you never even know it's doing it- was it worth the time and trouble? ABSOLUTELY!!!

I use Mozy, not as a last resort, but as an extra precaution and next step in how I already backup stuff- hard drives are gonna fail (every style, size, brand, etc- the question is WHEN), people are gonna forget to manually backup stuff, or burn DVDs- even as great as TimeMachine is, one can even forget to hookup the external harddrive every once in awhile (Ok- that was me, but I didn't lose anything) only keeping backup stuff onsite can be risky as well (fires, floods, theft, etc.)

It is well worth $4.95/month to have an additional secure backup that is easy to retrieve in an emergency- for me anyway...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to work as a tech support geek and our supervisors were always barking at us to save our files to the network, not to the hard drives on our computers.

Being rebellious, I would save to the network, but I also kept copies on my own drive. More than once this strategy saved me a lot of headache.

When the data network would go down, I would still be able to talk a customer through a problem because I had the right files on my local machine. And, more importantly, when there was a failure of the file system, which lost a bunch of data, my files were safe. After that happened, I also started backing them up on a portable drive.

I have several portable drives which hold my backups. Stuff that I really don't want to lose will get backed up to CD or DVD.

I think Mozy would be useful, but I wouldn't trust it as my only backup. I would also be wary of giving sensitive files to a place like that.

We tend to trust businesses to be ethical, but so many have proven that they aren't to be trusted. If Mozy could find a way to harvest demographic profiles from the data they store, there isn't a doubt in my mind that they would eventually do it, and sell it. Call me paranoid.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a NAS drive... NAS is Network Attached Storage... and I love it.

It's basically an external drive that connects to your system via a network cable... that way all your computers on the network can access it. You can also set up FTP on it so you can access your files from anywhere else in the world as well... that is very handy for me as I work from several different locations regularly.

Mine is a D-Link and only holds one drive... I bought it from TigerDirect for $35... here's a newer updated version of it that will hold 2 SATA hard drives (it'll do RAID setups too).

NAS Hard Drive Enclosure

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told the best backup system is one without moving parts that only high end computer type stores sell. No moving parts = less failure. Are any of these systems mentioned here like that?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been curious....what is the shelf life of a CD, when files are stored on them? Do they go bad?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a RAID 1 NAS box onsite and an off-site file sync for things like financials, quotes, job database etc in case of fire/flood/theft.

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Being rebellious, I would save to the network, but I also kept copies on my own drive. More than once this strategy saved me a lot of headache.
No,, that is just plain smart..

There is no better backup than one we have in our drawer. Onlines are nice. The online network should be the ultimate last resort only.

why?
I just observed a client getting his stuff back down and it only took 4 days... One hour getting his machine back up and 4 days to get his data..

Its all too easy to have an automated backup system right on your machine. You can setup autobackup using software such as genie backup to an external drive with just a few mouse clicks.

From there you make your online backups. That is
because your local backup software will compress your files reducing the upload or down load times.. Also you can encrypt your files and password them so no one can look into them.

Then all you have to do is occasionally check your back up folder to make sure a back is being made on a regular schedule.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis I wondered about the on line backup we get adds for it all the time didn't sound like to good of an idea to me now I know [Smile]

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 days doesn't sound too bad to me. My husband's laptop recently was sick with virus. He had just signed up for carbonite and was in the process of the first day or 2 of initial backup. Took a week to get the computer back from the hospital, and another week to get all the software loaded back on. Luckily, technician had backed up data files before reinstalling OS. Now he has carbonite so maybe next time it won't take so long to get the machine back.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and I am using carbonite at the shop.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still using in PC Raid along with 2 Hotswap drives and 2 externals for the shop..

In the house I now run hotswap drives in my PC which replaced all my DvD and Blue rays as my PC is hooked up to the plasma. Now all my movies are saved to Hard drives..
Its so nice to just pop in a drive and have a selection of over 100 movies to chose from.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it could take 4 days to get ALL of your data back but if you need one or 5 files, it takes about 2 minutes. I agree that a combo is the best approach.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

I got my 1500+ photos back in less than 3 hours from Mozy, and then I also made a DVD backup of the restore- it was MUCH better than losing them forever (physical damage to the harddrive). It did take a couple of days to upload when I backed up EVERYTHING from 4 different computers and an external harddrive- it would probably take the same amount of time to restore it, but Mozy will allow you to pick and chose files to restore as well.

again- just another part of my backup process.

Bill- curious about the hotswap drives- how long did it take to get the movies over to hard drive?

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got an Iomega 500gb portable hard drive.
Excellent value at 80 euros over here.
Initial backup using time machine about four hours. Backups after that not even noticeable.
Great peace of mind

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis - what do you think of this arrangement:

I have 3 internal hard drives - 1st drive is the 15K rpm SAS boot drive, which I keep only loaded programs on, the 2nd drive is a customer drive, and the 3rd drive is another customer drive.

I separate my customers onto the two drives... and use a software program called MEMEO Backup Premium and have that customized to backup selected folders to two external hard drives; Internal drive 1 to external drive 1, and internal drive 2 to external drive 2.

As soon as I "save" a file, MEMEO Backup Premium detects the save and automatically sends a backup copy to the corresponding/selected external drive.

I never have to fiddle with anything, or remember to make a copy, etc. MEMEO does it automatically.

Like Doug, I also have a Buffalo Terrastation, which I want to hook up as another secondary backup to my two externals.

I do think Michael is onto something with Mozy service because it's *offsite* and like he says, if you have a fire, flood, mechanical failure, etc... you at least have some recourse - - which I guess is what you're saying about a "last resort".... which I would agree, because it would be much simpler to restore copies from a local external than over the internet. But still, offsite is a great safety valve.

Michael - how do you like Mozy? Do they keep each backup file stored indefinitely? Seems like I was checking into Carbonite once and they had some disclaimer that files that weren't used/updated in a certain period of time were deleted. I could be wrong.... how does that service work?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!