Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » static cling questions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: static cling questions...
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 5 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...not regarding fabric softener.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever worked with static cling window sign material, the clear stuff. Can you tell me:
1: Does it go outside or inside the glass? (Or does it matter?)
2: Can I paint on it?
3: Can I put vinyl on it?
4: Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for any help.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ordered mine thru stouse and it can be on out side or inside. mine was for local mall so they wanted it reverse printed. you can place vinyl on it, paint i do not know

i am assuming the material you can order is the same way. stouse said they were screening them or digitally printing

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmy chatham
Resident

Member # 525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy chatham   Email jimmy chatham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can paint it with
screen print ink.

--------------------
Jimmy Chatham
Chatham Signs
468 stark st
Commerce, Ga 30529

Posts: 1766 | From: Commerce, GA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,
To answer your questions:
1. It can be used for both, but will depend on what you are doing. (It will not stay on the outside of a car window going down the freeway.)

2.I have never tried painting it, but have thermal printed on it very well.

3.Yes....see #4

4. If you are applying the static cling to the inside of a window, to be read from the outside, reverse cut your vinyl and apply it to one side of your static cling...that way the complete surface of the static cling will be sticking to the window. If you are applying it from the outside, to be read from the outside, put your vinyl on it as if it were any other substrate.
Again this leaves the side that will touch the window smooth and it will stick better than if the vinyl is applied to the back of it.

It can also be contour cut beautifully.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck.
Sue

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catalina Coatings and Plastics in Vegas, can tell you all about this. They sell it by the roll and in limited quantities. I have heard they make one with a paint receptive coating, but have never used it. They also carry one clear vinyl with various degrees of adhesive that is also viable.

I used to use this to do signs for various window projects. You paint and install it on the outside to get the best adhesion. Unless you block it out with latex first, lettering enamel takes days and days to set up from some reaction with the chemical, I saw. Never tried mixing in hardener? Silk screen inks with Zylene seemed to set up very nicely, but who loves working arond Zylene? Whew!

Call those guys and ask them what they know. If you can't get help, email me and I can call a recluse window painter I know well who has done lots of these on static cling years ago for a major chain and he can shed some light, maybe.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once applied one with painted side against glass,...when removed most of the paint stuck to glass.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how applying it to the outside of the glass is a good idea. Wind, rain, or mischievous behavior will remove them quickly. Clean glass is essential for the static cling material to stick well. How clean is outdoor glass?

We did a job where we reverse cut the vinyl and cut the static sling material so each letter and number was pre-spaced so the store owner could line up the letters by butting each panel up tight to the previous one.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I was asking about interior or exterior is because if exterior was the only option, then I for sure could not use the stuff, considering the location.

Thanks for all the help.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For exterior promotional signs I would recomend white removable vinyl. Most advertise clean removal within a couple of years. I've found exterior acrylic paints work fine avoid oil based

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 80 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For exterior promotional signs I would recomend white removable vinyl. Most advertise clean removal within a couple of years. I've found exterior acrylic paints work fine avoid oil based

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 80 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!