Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » SignCraft - Antonelli article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SignCraft - Antonelli article
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always I looked forward to the latest issue of SignCraft arriving on my doorstep. I wasn't disappointed for there was plenty of great eye candy to be seen.

I also enjoyed reading the articles. Dan Antonelli's article titled 'Is the customer always right?' was right on.

Dan expressed his views on our need to do proper design instead of merely sending work out the door 'that the customer wanted.' In these tough economic times the temptation is to simply give the customer what they ask for (or insist on) - grab the money and run. In Dan's article he points out that doing that harms both the customer and ourselves. Do it on a regular basis and you develop a reputation for doing that type of work.

You will be known tomorrow for the work you produce today.

What Dan didn't point out is the harm we do to our creative spirits if we regularly send work out the door we are not happy with. It's BAD for us. We can quickly turn our chosen profession into a mere job in a hurry for there is little satisfaction in doing something we KNOW simply isn't right.

I've lost more than a few jobs this past year because the customer wanted me to craft a purse from a pig's ear... and while I like pork I need more than that to work from. While I miss the income I might have made I firmly believe my decision will serve me better over the long haul.

Thanks for the great article Dan!

Sticking to the high road in yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently dissapointed by a local ad agency that I have a working relationship with. I asked the question how many ideas or concepts they present to their clients when a logo is asked for.
His response was we show them a PDF with a dozen or so styles of logos and let them choose the direction. it was simpler to do what they asked for without giving serious input to their actual needs. Apparently the market for local high end brand developement is soft or it is laziness.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to work a lot with sign salesmen and ad agency account execs. I've observed over the years that the ones who know how to put themselves in the position of a consultant and advisor to the customer make a hell of a lot more money in the long run than the "order takers" who don't care what they sell as long as the comission is on the books by the end of the month.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brent, I know what you are saying, these "order takers" should be selling Kirby vacuums. These people who refuse to stick their neck out and actually represent their customer, can actually take you down with them.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirby used to be a good vacuum........

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.......an interesting thought. I don't get Signcraft, but before I read this post tonight, I wrote this note to myself........
How I approach my work

If a client comes to me with a specific piece to create…and I think it’s a good plan, I will follow their plan, along with any impute I may have.

If a client comes to me with no plan……….then they have commissioned me to make a good plan, to create something unknown…. and with that I bring years of experience, and a lot of unknowns, and I make something new for me, and for them… I just follow my art. And that’s my work.

and I have an good old Kirby g4

[ January 22, 2010, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Vance Galliher ]

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again anyways.

I love Dan's articles. They are one of my favorite sections in SignCraft. Taking my shop where Dan has gone is my ultimate goal. His articles show me what can be done and push me to strive to do better.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another nod to Antonelli. He has taken his work and his business further and in a shorter period of time than just about anyone I know.

Dan is always thinking and always improving. Not many have the artistic ability along with the business savvy that he has. Antonelli actually practices what he preaches...and the results are obvious.

Just drop the check in the mail, Dan.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A well written article but I can only agree with it to a certain extent.
In Dan's business he is hired to create an image... and he does it well.
If I'm hired to produce I don't question everything... of coarse if it's really bad (in my eyes) I'll offer suggestions, but if insisted upon I'll become an order taker and get my ego jollys when I get home.

I don't really care for the new Kodak logo but I don't I don't offer alterations if asked to produce it.

What if a client brings me a Dan design that I don't agree with?(theoretically)
Should I offer alterations or refuse the job after the client has paid someone else to have an image created?

For the most part I agree with the premise but I don't think it always applies in the real world.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the comments above. Out of all the articles I've written, this has generated the most emails to me with other sign professionals who share my viewpoint.

For those who don't get SignCraft, here's a link to my site which has the article in PDF for you to download (along with 40 or so others). http://www.graphicd-signs.com/html/articles.htm

Mark, producing something, as in say, what a printer would do is somewhat different. To a printer, its ink on paper - regardless of the design. If you are merely playing this role, than you are a 'producer' and not a creator. And those are really two different businesses. I'm not familiar with how you present yourself and your business to your clientele, but much of that factors into what their expectations are of you as a professional.

I think, as Dan S mentioned, you always need to be mindful of protecting your own brand. And part of protecting your brand, and your brand's reputation goes along with the quality of work you put on the street and are known for. On a much larger scale, this is why Apple doesn't put into the marketplace crap products. Because it tarnishes their brand.

Someone said 'good enough rarely is.' I may be obsessive about things, but I'll be damned if something's going to leave my office that I'd be embarrassed about anyone knowing I was responsible for. I'm serious when I tell them NO ONE will care as much about their image as I WILL. Why? Because I created. Obsessive? Yes? Should I move on with my life and forget about it? Maybe... [Smile]

Working under a signpainter when I was 15 - I learned this very critical lesson - and that was - to make sure everything that left the shop was good enough to be in SignCraft. It didn't mean everything was super creative - but it meant to make sure it adhered to fundamental design principals.

We were doing a web site just this week, and for various reasons, I was a little out of the loop more than normal with my lead designer and project manager on it. When I went through it, I was not happy at all about what I was seeing. For 95% of the people who may have seen it, including the client, it was fine. For me, so much of it was NOT good enough, and instead, I redid much of it myself, and probably put another 12 hours of design work into it - to get it be from GOOD ENOUGH to GREAT. Was it worth it for me to invest another $1500 of billable time into a six grand web site? You bet. Because I don't get the six grand site, without making sure my best work is out on the street.

Least that's how I see it my own little 'real world' here. I think so much depends on where you're going with your business and how you choose to get there.

What I have here IS a business FIRST, and a passion a very close SECOND. It's when you have no passion, and instead the bottom line drives your business decisions, that make it hard to for that business to reach it's full potential.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said I got nothing against the premise.

Obviously when someone comes to you they are looking for creative input... that's why they come to you, that's the business you're in.

I'm a sign guy... I don't have to agree with every design.
If design is what is asked for I give it all I got.
If a client needs their business card graphic on their truck and aren't open to suggestion I give it all I got.
If I'm handed design regulation book, un-homemade logo or a blueprint I don't question it because obviously money has been spent to get it to me to produce.

I don't think because I can switch from concerned designer to producer to make the client happy makes me less professional or drags down the business... I could be wrong but whatever.

I can't remember a slow time in the past 20 years I've worked at this shop so we must be presenting ourselves ok... yeah, I know I need a haircut.

This week I designed a wayfinding/donor recognition system for a new hospital facility (which I will eventually have to produce), slapped some red vinyl on coroplast and printed some but ugly t-shirts. (among many other things)
Everybody's happy and I get my creative balance when I get home because whether or not I have to be creative for a client... it's still work.

I did enjoy the article, as I usually do.

--------------------

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, you sound like a hard worker and an asset to your employer. Consider for a moment, if you were the owner instead, what might you choose to do differently in order to not have to go home to get that creative balance?

The tough thing about being successful (ie. you've been busy for 20 years) is that it breeds complacency. Why are so many small businesses resistant to a logo change? Well, they've been 'successful' for so many years with their 'crappy' logo - why do they need to change it?

There are plenty of small businesses - whether they're sign shops or otherwise, who let that complacency kill their business. The bottom line, in my view, is while it's great to busy today, what are you planning for tomorrow, assuming of course you've charted an actual destination for your business and where you want to take it.

Without a plan, you're sort of like a ship without a rudder. Sure, you'll float, but you may or may not ever arrive at a destination.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so many good points here ...

..... however (always somebody with a "however" stirring up trouble), to Mark's point about just giving the customer what he wants, there are many businesses that are crazy successful (I'm talking so successful that the only thing holding them back from making more money is that they are just happy making the oodles of cash they are currently making) and they don't give a flip about fancy signs or logos. Heck, I know a couple of them who have made their own signs out of a piece of scrap metal and spraypaint and they can still buy most of us a hundred times over.

Then to Dan's point -- there are some businesses where it would absolutely BEHOOVE the owner to get a better sign. And yet with these people, you can never convince them that Algerian isn't the best font ever made and dark red vinyl on a blue background just won't work.

Anyway, both points are good, both points apply, and sometimes they are both enough to drive a signmaker crazy.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

-

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parts of this summary bring up a quandry I'm in at the moment with one job:

A local club has an honour board almost full up with names.

I've been asked to update the last five years Presidents' names. It's originally in a microgramma/eurostyle gold speckled vinyl.

They won't all fit- so three years' worth will go on a new board just made. It will need a heading.

Should I do as they ask, and duplicate the ugly all caps condensed Caslon/Times look, complete with grammatical errors (misplaced apostrophe), or make something nice. I sort-of have to replicate what they have (two rows, all caps- each letter about 1" wide & 2" tall) ...but I'll fix the grammatical blip.

Given a choice, I'd rather do an entirely new heading, but they don't really care, except for some uniformity between the boards.

Good article, Dan A- thanks!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian, I feel that pain, and maybe there is some advice available here.

I have three or four local clubs who bring me honors boards every year to add names. All are high-dollar clubs - but these boards were donated and made in some member's basement workshop, and are uniformly junky and amateurish.

As they fill up, they need new boards - but here's the dilemna: If they purchase a well-designed, professionally built board, they risk having an unflattering comparison made to the old one, and potentially insulting the member (or their descendants) who made it (and these are serious matters in these clubs).

On the other hand, if they replicate the junk they have, they just get more junk. Since it is inevitably cheaper to replicate junk, and doing so doesn't "show up" anyone, that's the route most often followed.

The results are painfull to see. I've been to high-end yacht/golf clubs where they've spent big money on the facility - top-grade woodworking, tile, granite bar-tops, first class everything - and up there in "pride of place" are honors boards that look like a middle school shop project made by the kids who ride the short bus. It's embarrassing, they all no it, but nobody dares mention it for fear of insulting the donor.

Any advice? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Complacency is probably the reason I exhaust so much energy trying to keep my passion somewhat separated from my work.
It's what I have to do in my head to keep the destination from ruining the journey.

While I may not have the same passion towards a job that I don't quite agree with (yes, there are limits), I will still do it to the best of my ability (grab the money and run).
If in some peoples eyes that makes me less profesional so be it.

--------------------

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian and Cam,

I had the same problem with a roadside sign for the local vet that has all the vets' names on individual boards underneath the main sign. When all the boards were full, what to do when two more vets moved?

Sinc I had built the sign originally, I pulled off all the name "plaques" and replaced it with a sheet of dibond. Then I had all the names digitally printed on separated sheets of laminated vinyl.

When a vet leaves, I rip off the old name. Yes it will leave a blank, but if that bothers them they can pay for newly printed names and scoot everybody up one. What about a new vet? add one more name to the blank spaces strategically designed into the panel. And if they take on too many vets and the panel fills up? Change the size of the space for the name, change the font proportions or the font itself and clean it all off and start over again. It's all controltac, so removing the vinyl should be simple.

There's no easy, economically feasible answer in these cases, but it does go back to Dan's original idea of trying to make it look as nice as possible to put your business in a good light and to Mark's idea of making it as painless and inexpensive as possible so you aren't just pulling out hair and going broke on the time and effort.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unfortunately, in the historic economical times we are witnessing, some people must put pride aside and be in the business of making money instead of satisfying their own person design peeves.

Others (Apple) with larger bankrolls backing them can afford to nuture a "brand" and make a stand that may benefit them down the line.

when the babies need new shoes, the customer can have exactly what they want rather than what I think they need.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, it's interesting that there's such a turnover of vets- here they tend to join a practice & stay forever!

My dilemma with the honour boards is minor really- I just wanted to add it as an example of being obliged to follow suit, when someone led first with with yuk-of-spades.

It looks like the original was either done by a quicky sticky shop or one of the oldest sign shops around with one of the first plotters, and only eight fonts (helvetica, clarendon, microgramma, times...). Otherwise, you seldom see microgramma these days- and it's an improperly extended version, so that the letter O is like a landscape shoebox lid- ugh!

Cam, you're right- we really shouldn't go making the original donor look cheap...

An alternative I had to deal with six months ago was an honour board that started with hand lettered gilding, (in a niceish psuedo optima), degenerated into lettered gold bronze paint that tarnished repidly into brown, (looking like a matchstick was used to drag the paint on), then that was updated with vinyl in a times bold, and some years later updated with vinyl in arial and varying seriffed fonts- and successive lines became more crooked- I don't know why I didn't photograph it for the academic visual torture.

All I could do was to imitate font of the line above, and try to slowly straighten out the crookedness and unsquash the 'condensedness'. There's still a lot of scope on that board- but the gold degenerating into bronze was slightly worse than the varying vinyls.

Looking at it, I'd say someone just phoned up a sticky shop and said I need these names in gold:...when can I pick them up- and probably the cleaner or janitor at the club applied them. Three years later someone went to a different sticky shop for some more names etc- easy scenario.

(And they know it's awful, but no, they don't want to pay to have it 'fixed'.)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Ian,

Luckily, the vet wanted it fixed-!!! they were out of space for names, and the bright, new, painted & lettered panels were making the older ones look really bad-!!! Plus they are adding vets and dropping vets all the time. This sign was built in 1997 and it's just about time to replace the main sign itself ... It was done on soffet (soffit?) board, and so far it looks pretty good, if you don't count the black lichen growing on it.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article Dan. I made a client read it yesterday. He was not pleased but at least then he understood why last week I said no I can't do your display that way. And it was far more professional than the words in my head which were a lot less elequent and frankly a little vulgar.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Deri-

Yeh I may make it required reading for anyone who is going to work with us. [Smile]

Dan

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

David C. Petri
Visitor
Member # 6645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David C. Petri   Email David C. Petri       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article,Dan! I could visualize everything you were saying in my own circumstances. We also need to understand and heed to Mark's comments that an even balance needs to be maintained to prevent severe burn outs that could wind up being irreversible. I went through one recently and now I realize I need to separate my profession a bit from my passions every once in a while. Maybe that's what vacations are really for.
Super magazine. I love it.

--------------------
David C. Petri
Flying Peach Custom Paint
Green Bay, WI 54302
cell 920-246-7821

Posts: 79 | From: Green Bay, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, do you ever sleep? Your work is amazing.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Thanks Barb..

Yes, I sleep. With a lot of Futura XB Z's... [Smile]

I try and avoid burnouts by spending the rest of my time with my family, and my other passion, which is cycling (racing). It's amazing what 100 miles a week on the road does for your mind, or 35 miles an hour packed inches apart from 40 other guys.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really cool stuff Dan, You really love the retro designs, they are among my favourite..

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil, if you're into the retro style, you might like this guys style too. He's the guy who did the New York Knicks logo.
http://michaeldoret.com/doret/artwork/index.html

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!