Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Faithful friends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Faithful friends
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Few things delight me as much as a handful of new brushes. Each year I buy plenty. Some are long and thin while others full and bushy. Each brush is different with its own personality and each has a special task in our shop, able to do with ease things that a different brush would make a chore. I have my favorites of course.

Over time each brush develops character, able to tell at a glance of the projects it was used on. Bits of paint speak of the colors it spread. Bent hairs spell out it is now merely a primer brush used to scrub primer onto rough work. Angled brushes tell of difficult corners and hard to reach places, impossible to reach any other way. A few of the brushes still look new or almost so, rookies in our painting game, waiting for many painting adventures still in store.

After each use brushes are carefully washed, straightened and shaped then racked for drying - ready for the next time its needed. They hang out together between projets in a large piece of white beaded foam.

In another place in our shop is the graveyard for brushes now sadly out of commission. We call it the place of shame, for most of the brushes displayed here were inadvertently left out while still full of paint. Caught in time we can often rescue them, but as often as not the brushes die a horrible death, suffocated with a heavy coat of paint. Thankfully they don't suffer long.

Brushes are our faithful friends, ready to make the world a more colorful place in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a brush?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A stick with some fur glued on one end.

I saw one in a museum once.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dan!

Those brushes and quills that dried with paint on them make into good chisels!

[I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rapid remover and some soak time and then a easy combing will get them ruined brushes back..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Brushes...there's the Lettering Quills, Striping Brushes, Pointies, these are the Oil based ones, of course... fitches, hard and soft haired, and, with the work on movies,tv, all the myriad water based ones, including 2" 3" 4" cutters... oh yes, my collection of Red Sable Showcard Brushes, going back to 1963... and it's the Same Story with ALL of Them...when i need one, they all(in their particular groupings, they DO know thier place in the scheme of things....) well, they all holler "Me Me Me...." and i have to have a little talk with them...brushes have feeling too... and then choose the one that will do the job...today.

It's my extended family...have to be gentle.

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well Dan I agree but must add, most all brushes which are hardened by paint can be brought back to life if you truly know how to and if it's worth it to you. My proven system makes this happen for quills, fitches, flats and liners or scroll brushes. I've spoken about this here many times in the past and the only problem most persons see is the cost to a bigger ultrasonic cleaner. Although Curtis is somewhat on the right track there are other tools used to actually make this happen and from my standpoint, its worthwhile.

Understanding brushes in Grants Pass [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good, John- I agree entirely!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Joey, I'd love to know how to restore brushes. I inherited some great flats the have a dried 'mystery' material in them. I'm not sure how to remove it. Is the process the same for brushes w. dried oil or h20 paint in them?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!