Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » man I miss letterheads meets!!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: man I miss letterheads meets!!!!!!!
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the first I attended, Mike Jackson's in Moore Oklahoma. I remember Marlin Moss's meet in CA. What I miss is the genuine sharing. I remember a meet a fellow was attending, not his first, he did not sign paint for a living, if I remember right he was a banker, someone will correct me. He was there because he stumbled onto a meeting somewhere, and stayed for the whole weekend. He attended every meeting he could, he Enjoyed our craft. I used to take my kids to the meetings, Billy eventually worked for Bill Stender in S.F. Mike Clines striped my daughters car! Judy brought along a friend to a meet in CA. where she did her own project.
What I am getting at is price. Check out the price of the Fred's Sign meeting in Oklahoma, $80.00!!!!! I am here in Australia, and cannot afford to attend. There was a meet not 3 miles from me, it would have cost over $400 for myself, and my wife to attend!!! Take a look at the meeting in N.Z. $280 each, $200 for staff, $20 for a piece of glass, $35 for another piece, $65 for an extra shirt??? Not sure if it is this one, but the gilding class was an extra cost????
I sure miss the sharing everyone did with me. If it weren't for Letterheads, and all the meets I attended up and down CA, I could never have done all the things I did in my shop.
Thanks Rick (rixax) Sacks, Mike Jackson, Mike Clines, Crazzy Jack, Frank Mason, Marlin Moss, Judy, Kent Smith, Rick Glawson, Franciso, and of course the Shortreads, for putting this site together, and all the others I have learned from that escape this old and tired mind.
The sign trade has done well by me, I turned 66 and am still working, and using the Accu Bend machine part time for a shop in Sydney. But I still miss all you people back in the USA.....

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,

I think today's meets are much more structured (courses for various disciplines) . It costs the one hosting it a fair amount, that's why the charge. Supplying the glass, gold, paint, wood, metal, and anything else to paint on. Folks need chairs to sit on, outhouse? Maybe some food, coffee, it all adds up. Some of the materials may be donated which helps but it basically boils down to it just costs time and money to host a meet.

I suppose if we go back to simpler times with no structure or courses, everyone bring their own chairs & easel, materials and such it wouldn't cost anything except gas, food and lodging (unless you brought a tent or slept in your van/truck). Just pull up a car and start striping and someone will ask a few questions and you can share. Some of those types of gatherings are the most memorable and educational.

Put it out there Bill and they will come [Wink]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bill, I miss you too! I think we charged $30 and it included salmon dinner. We covered all the expenses other than the month of work missed answering the phone and planning for the meets. Perhaps there are several folks planning the meet and each wanting compensation for that month? I prefer the no frills meets. We bring our kits, instruments, and enthusiasm. Host provides some space, snacks, and suppliers donate some panels and paints. I'm sorry that the folks there have not discovered the treasure they're missing by you not participating. Letterhead meets should not become business ventures.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...The PONTIAC WALLDOG meet this summer was totally underwritten by the town and community. Even the towns restaurants served FREE meals to walldog attendees. Given how well the Pontiac gathering went, I'd say the more the locals are involved, the better (and more fun and less expensive) meets will be.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one who both hosted a small Letterhead meet and one who now hosts a couple of workshops each year I can understand your feelings but I can also see the other side of the coin. When we did our Letterhead picnic about 5 years ago we charged $20 per person to cover some of the costs. Amazingly we got a couple of complaints too about how expensive it was. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I promised Janis that while I still wanted to host sign folk gatherings I would no longer do it at considerable cost to us and our business.

I admire those who host a meet with little or no cost, but when they say they covered their costs I shake my head for time is money and countless hours are spent planning, organizing, setting up and hosting an event. Asking sponsors for help and support also takes time and costs them money.

All this being said we decided to go the workshop route instead. The groups are much smaller, the learning much more focused and the time is much more organized. Our hope is that while the cost is certainly much higher for each attendee, the value of the gathering is worth much more to our guests. So far our attendees agree.

I believe there is room for all kinds of meets and workshops.

-grampa dan

[ October 22, 2009, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bill,
Good to hear from you. I often wonder how you are doing. Have you thought about hosting a meet yourself ? Even a small one with a half dozen or so people would be fun !

Build it and they will come.....

Jim

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about all the meets in San Jose, that Betty,
Kay and the volunteers put together.
Miss ya Wild Bill.

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bill...don't know if you'll remember me or not, but I also attended the meet the banker fellow showed up! I remember you and your effect on others, contagious comes to mind, I'll never forget you...like Jim said, coupled w/your personality, a small, impromptu meeting sounds like just what the doctor ordered...sure wish you'd come stateside again, we'll call Jim, Mikey, Marlin, Jack, Real Ralph, Bradley and others, voila, instant happening!!!

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, long time since we've heard from you, yeah them ole meets were pretty cool. Last one with you was at Ron Percells Mini meet. Remember Rich Stebbing tearing up that pizza hahahahaaha. This was right before you was going to Australia.
I had a picture of you from one of the first meets you had in a storage place north of San Jose, it's where I think I met Crazy Jack and the Moon, were a couple I remember. Must have been in the early 80's. Well amigo, it was good hear from you, who knows maybe one day I would like to take a flight down under and meet with you and a few of the other Auzzies, hear it's pretty sweet over there...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill, I don't know where we would start and what would evolve, but I am CERTAIN that I could learn a thing or two from you and the blessing you have had sharing time with many of the greats of this industry. I am but an hour and a bit away from you - out west in the Hills district, so always feel free to call... we could have our very own two man "mini meet"

Cheers - Gregg

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great to hear from you Bill.

Wish we had gotten a chance to hook up when Barb and I spent a Month in Australia. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't see myself back in Hervey Bay with Gail and Devo. If I had it all to do over, I'd live my life Downunder.

Letterheads have changed since those early days. We went to our first meet after reading about Mike's Meet in Moore. Who would have believed how that trip would change our lives?

Meets wern't very structured back then. Computer's were still in the future, so all of us still lived in a World of paint and brushes. Our trade magazines were all full of outstanding examples of wonderful design and new processes like sandblasting. Gold work was still just part of the job and not something, most of us today only see at Letterhead Meets.

We also shared a passion that few seem to have these days. Making money and retirement wern't important to me. I just wanted to meet Mike Jackson, Kent Smith, Ken Millar, Keith Kneith and all my other heros from ST Magazine. We were young. Hungry for knowledge and recognition.

Early Letterheads returned home from live meets wound up like tops. I'd call other sign painters in the area and try to share my discovery with them. In my mind, this Letterhead thing was something everyone would be interested in. Thirty years have passed and I still don't understand why everyone in our trade just "don't get" this Letterhead thing.

I still love a good old basic Letterhead meet. Due to health, it's difficult to get to live meets these days. Sometimes one of you will visit and we'll host a meet here at our home. We always invite everyone in Letterville and sorta hope thousands don't show up. [Smile] It's still a pile of fun, but somethings have changed.

It's a real challenge to get some of you to pick up a brush. We've all got older and forget what it was like to work beside our heros. If you want to get that passion back, share with that newbie that looks lost.

There has always been "invite only" meets, but not to the degree I see today. Behind the scenes I hear terms like "cream of the crop" This bothers me. My Letterheds includes all who want to learn and share what they know, not just those we happen to like that day. I know some feel different, but I'm old and entitled to my beliefs.

Cost was and is still a big deal in our World. Getting to a Letterhead meet usually involves selling something or running up the charge card. The real truth is that most of us here live week to week. I'm one of you. It's not something I am proud of, but that's the way it is.

Everything costs money. There is a cost associated with hosting a meet. Hosts need to be aware that cost is a big factor and perhaps cut some of the extras to reduce costs. Real Letterheads need to revaluate your spending. If you are driving a fancy truck and watching a big screen TV, yet lack the money to attend a meet, I say sell the #*#*%# TV! How many are that passionate about Letterheads? [Smile]

Consider this just another rant from an old Letterhead who just might be on too many meds. The bottom line is that I worry about this wonderful thing called Letterheads. Will future generations have access to, or even have a desire to keep it going? I shutter to think of the day when some big computer Corporation hosts...Letterheads. A Trip To The Past.

[ October 22, 2009, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill, hey my first was in '84 in Livermore at your shop there in the Storage Yard. Crazy Jack, Sanky, Betty, and others were memorable. I remember going to a winery at the end you brought the door evrybody had signed,...what fun.
I have been to several "live" meets therafter and really got inspired! The enthusiasm back then was a real rush,...and have made many friends.
I actually hosted a local meet('92?) to get everyone in my locale in on it, and it was FREE! I ahd a sign supplier pick-up the tab for donuts, etc. Everone pretty much got a prizez as well, about 35 of us in all. i also established some great friendships through that experience and had help from a couple of "heads" with prep and cleanup.
We all miss seeing you at the meets Bill, come back soon! Gotta go now,...where's the pizza?

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,

My first meet was also at Mike Jackson's in Moore. It had an impact on me that I still feel today.

We flew up in a Piper Cherokee and landed at an airport a block to the north and then found out the airport, whick looked like an airplane junkyard, was out of operation. A mechanic shouted at us: "Didn't you see the "X"? The runway is closed!" We taxied out to the end of the strip and saw two 2x4s laying across each other in the grass. We then took off and flew over to Will Rogers and the McIltrots from SignCraft picked us up. On the way home at the end of the meet, we made a low pass over Mike's shop.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, all these people I know responding, I am humbled, thank you. I want to respond to each. I am sitting here on Sunday with Annie, web page open and composing in word. Played golf at The Club yesterday, best game ever by the way. I am enjoying time in Australia by the way, became a citizen on the 20th day of the 7th month 2007. 20.07.2007, I think I may get the Southern Cross tattooed inside my forearm!! You think? I digress.

Brian, what constitutes structured, a separate room? How Structured does a meet have to be? Shop meets are never like the National in the US. At MJ’s meet at Moore he had things starting on at intervals and continuing thru the weekend. It was a smallish shop, but things were still “structured”. Remember the glue chipped sign someone picked up on the way to Moore, stripped, re-gilded and painted by any and all thru the weekend, better than any formal class. This is how a sign shop works, unplanned, and spontaneous! How about the van that rolled up, a sculptor wanting his van lettered, I don’t think he knew what he drove into!

Rick you are the man. God Lord was the salmon good or what?! You have the location from every paint slingers dreams. Well mate, these meets are no bigger than your own and suppliers do contribute. Nuff said. Gary Rhodes provided space, in his parking lot for me and my El Camino. However Butch Anton and his brother took pity on me and let me sleep on the couch in their motel room. My snoring kept them awake all night, and they kept me awake throwing pillows at me to stop. Please Butch, forgive me for that. I couldn’t figure what was so bad, everyone laughed at a tape someone made of a terrific snorer in one of the groups from far away.

W.R. participating in a walldog meet would suit me just fine. There was one over the Blue Mountains here in NSW, but you had to pay to participate, food, lodging, supplies were provided by the merchants getting the work done! Go figure.

Dan, I can surely understand your flabbergastedness, new word, actually Aussies are good at this, and I am learning this craft. I can also understand your solution, because 20 is too damned cheep! I remember and have a photo of one I believe was put on by Marlin Moss at the local fairgrounds, we decorated 55 gal trash drums for the park, what a gas, one day, bar-b-que, good friends, what could be better?

Jim my man, you still flyin??? I took Annie for a little “joy ride” is what they call it her. Chatting with the pilot he let me doing all the flying, a 172, $125.00, one touch and go, one landing! But it was great to get back in the air. The meets here are not much bigger than a dozen or so.

Jack, what can I say, I cherish the time we had together in my shop, Dave Lucas and the Kids Clothing sign!!!! Did I tell you he went from me to a neon shop, then a corporate sign company, then to Disney in Florida? As far as I know, he is still with the imaginerium in LA. Miss you as well.

Frank, I wouldn’t like anything better. The only thing that would bring me back to the US is a chance to meet up with people who smell of turps!!! You think he is still at it in his garage? You are flattering, I did cherish every moment of my LHd’s meets. Judy had one in the mountains when we were doing vehicle graphics. How about the one we, I didn’t do much for this one, had done some cans and drums for a charity auction, Children’s Hospital I believe.

Cisco, I believe I was spruiking some of my shop equipment that weekend. I think Judy Grossman brought in a project as well. Ah yes, my wine tasting meet. Crazy was there, and it was ’83, I turned 40. Had a beer fridge too. Funny thing about Bob “Moon” Mullins. I had a customer come in with a Corvette, wanted some lettering done on that edge of the hood you can see from inside. Somehow we got onto the subject of the Navy, I was in from 61-64, turns out he knew a bloke called Moon, I think he saw his name on my “door”, so I took him to see him, what a ride, I got to drive the Vette! You make your way on over mate!

Greg, I just might take you up on the offer. You can keep me working when you need LED channels letters, call Signlite, tell-em Bill sent you. I looked at your web site, everyone should. And this is it http://www.sydneysignworks.com.au/galleryssw.html. Until we meet g’day.

Steve, it would have been great to see you again. I think we met at the Percell’s Micro Meet. You have done the most amazing service for Us as a community, three cheers for the Shortreeds... everything you have written, and no truer words. I did my first gold leaf window upon my return from Oklahoma. And my first vertical screened window after the demo by the old timer in the green suit, forgive me but I have forgotten his name, he used to do banks. As I understand it, someone stole his car with all his stuff sometime later. I agree, the TV is easy to come by, the education at a letterheads meet is “priceless”.

Rich, that was a great time in my storage space. The intent was to get some who had never been, to become regulars, and introduce them into this amazing movement. The fact you hosted one later is a plus, keep it up mate. And order double pizza!!!

David, hangar talk eh? My practical examiner, upon me landing from too close in, and at mid filed, from 500 feet, in a 150D model, 40 degree flaps, “I didn’t think you would make that”! Fortunately, he was a crop dust pilot. I had learned some aerobatics before this in an Eagle. He had to pink slip me tho. Had to go back and do a proper approach to the field. My instructor almost fainted when I got back and held up that pink slip. You learn to fly After the license is granted, yes? Those McIltrot boys are something, aren’t they.

This may in the end, be too bloody long for anyone to bother reading. Keep your brushes wet, and you wheels down, unless you’re in a float plane! Cheers to everyone. Bill.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, these meets have triggered many relationships that go far deeper than our craft. Mentioning some of the folks brings me to wonder about some of those that are lost. You mentioned Moon. I've not located him in many years. One time we jumped in Barton's 172 in San Jose and flew over to Hayward to pick up Moon and his kit, then back to Kay and Betty's meet. Where is Barton? Lots of who you know were at Gary's gathering a couple months ago. We talked about you. I have a carveing of yours on my woodshed, and I daily appreciate it. Yesterday I was going through some old photos and found the for sale sign in the field along the coast near Manchester that you circled as you flew by after that long awaited return to Livermore. Anyway, it seems like it might be your turn to show the kids there how we do it here. We'd all like to be there to help.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill, we miss you too. As I have always said, when two or more Letterheads get together, it is a meet. Rick is right, you could start a small gathering and teach them how to do it. Even in 1995 when we hosted the Denver meet, the fee for 3 days was $95 which included 8 meals etc. The LH University was an extra. We still get our fix with the Colorado group once a year and pick a few to go to that are like the old meets. The thrills for me have changed, for example taking my gandson to Gary's. We have thousands of Letterhead friends from around the world and would love to have a reunion meet somewhere to catchup with them all.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, we're all getting old, but one of the best things in my life was the letterheads. I now have friends from all over the world. I have people that share the same tought patterns, the same problems, and the same loves, I have. I met my best friend, my wife, at a letterhead met. This thing is better than the best, LETTERHEADS. Don't lose the spirit.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good sentiment ... shared by all! We're fortunate people.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,
Unfortunately, I haven't flown in a while. The friends' planes that I could fly inexpensively have been sold and I haven't wanted to spend the $125 an hour to rent one. However, I have made a new commitment to get the Varieze in the air.
It's great to hear from you and that all is going well. And look what you have created with one simple post on this forum ! Awesome ! Keep in touch.....
Jim

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought this would happen but there are more pinstriping meets going on these days then Letterhead meets.

oh well, things change

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaaahhhhh!!!!...Sweet Willy...I MISS YOU, Man!!!!! Your random thought processes are at it again. Yup. I agree with the fact that the rush after one of those meets was so intense. At the meets, it was so intense, I could hardly paint. I just went from location to location watching the "gods of letters" do their thang and try to take in as much as I could. So many incredible artists, so little time. Sooooo much FUN! No computers to get in the way...just paint, panels, BEER, friends, and lots of stories. Wow! I get a rush, just thinking about it. Bill...you get your butt over here with Annie and you could camp out at my house and I'm sure just about 60 other homes of people that would love to see you again!!!!! I still have a "waste basket" that you painted a funny lobster on...sitting in my studio bathroom.

I remember thinking...I'll never get a computer. I'm an artist with a brush. Look at us now. Everything is in a constant state of change. Ain't no free lunches and there's no real going back. but Gary's meet felt so good a few months ago and it was nice to see some old (and I mean old...as we all have gotten) faces with love and admiration. My only hope is that there are a few young sign wannabees that are still out there holding the truth...that signs are art and anyone can do a sign...but a designer is the only one that can do a sign that speaks. WOOF!

Where else could a self taught sign gal go and meet the real sign gods that apprenticed under other sign gods, and be taken under their wing and become life-long friends, even across the ocean or the continent? Truly ...EGOS have been left at the doors of many wonderful places and friendships have blossomed. I feel so fortunate that somewhere I met Len Barton and he took me to my first Letterheads meet in San Jose. Thanks Bill for coming to the surface and Kent for teaching me gold at that first meet and Ricsax for that incredible salmon and Rich Stebbing for messin' with my truck and Betty and Kay for their special meets and on and on...into the sunset.

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah.....Judy Judy Judy. I think that lobster was from Shermans Lagoon comic strip, one o-my favorites. I even brought the big one I did over here with me! Still have my kit. Paint here is too expensive to buy really, just to muck around with. Can't buy half pints.

Computer!, the last 16 months I have been using Autodesk Inventor, drafting and designing in solids. Although I am now running a router table and Accubend machine making channel letters.

The following is my next "random thought"! You think some of these up and comers would be interested in the slightest??? Find out where this evolution of the sign trade came from?

Australia is much like the UK, apprenticeships abound, every trade you can imagine, yep, even sign"writing" given at TAFE trade school in conjunction with working in the field. How about a meeting, a couple of mentor "tradesmen" and nothing but apprentices, one day, 30 bucks to cover materials. Brushwork glass & panel, airbrushing on same, lecture on letterform construction kinda like I did at Product Sign. A simple project they can walk away with. Simple lunch provided. Just a full on day. Whatcha think? Any suggestions? Maybe we can get the apprentices to start their OWN keepers of the craft going!!! Maybe a quarterly gathering covering a new facet each time? Let me know what you think.

Good to hear from you JG. Cheers, Bill

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,

Lisa Ferrier
Visitor
Member # 6989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa Ferrier   Author's Homepage   Email Lisa Ferrier       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, I just came across your post after doing a search for "Australia". My boyfriend lives in the Netherlands and wants me to go with him Aus, rent a RV and live day to day. I am a semi burn out from South Florida ready for a change. I've run my lil' sign company solo for 15 years. Done well, but sick of the cut-throat attitude here. I was lucky enough to enter the sign trade at a time when Gerbersaurus Rex had just come into existence, so there were still real signpainters around to show me the craft and I was also an early adopter of technology. I used to go to meets in Florida. One in Plant City, one in Pensacola,and a couple New Port Richie. The Skeeter meets were special to me. I have kept to myself too many years. [Confused]

My BF has family in Melbourne. We have visas good for three months. Waddya all think?

--------------------
Lisa Ferrier
Bluewater Graphics
signlady.com
Deerfield Beach, FL
954-426-3395

Posts: 1 | From: Deerfield Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa, it sounds like a plan for an international meet - wish I could join you.

I just got around to reading this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents. We hosted a meet for $25/person three years ago and had some good sponsors but it still took a toll financially and time-wise, as Dan pointed out. We had a lot of talent in attendance and I think the "virgins" left with the same sense of enthusiasm and inspiration that we all experienced at our first meets.

Although Letterheads is evolving along with the industry itself, I think there will always be a group of people who see the fun, fellowship, and knowledge to be gained from a Letterhead meet and will keep the spirit alive for future generations. Being around Sunset Regall, Sam Staffan and Steve Luck in Pontiac this summer is a perfect example. The passion is alive, thriving, and in good hands.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will add my 2c worth!

Ever since my first Meet back in 1989 where I also was introduced to this site and chat, I have never stoped learning and teaching the "Craft"

Been to almost evry Ozzie Meet since then. Two in New Zealand, Fred's Meet in OK, Mural Meet in Canada and panel bash at Steves in Toronto. Every minute is burned into my memory!

I have hosted a meet here to restore an old theatre curtain and several "panel jams" when we have had visiting letterheads from overseas. RT, Steve and Barb etc.

Throu Letterville I remain in daily contact with many friends overseas. Thru Chat and Skype it costs me nothing!

Life is good ... be in it! Keep the craft alive.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Bill, when you and Annie next visit, we'll throw a small meet in your honor if we have more than a few hours notice. You can letter upside down and we'll have a stash of fresh turkey feathers and enjoy your tales from the far country, and it won't cost you anything!

[ November 08, 2009, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Rick said...same here.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Lisa, My Annie and I wish we could do six months around the country. RV rentals range from 40 to 60 per day Australian $. Short story, Annie and I were in Mudgee, New South Wales, inland from Sydney a few hours drive. I wanted to stay in one of the corner "Pubs" there. Now I have to explain "Pubs". If you recall the old Hotels in the Old West movies, they had a bar downstairs, well, this is the "Pub" in Australia, except they are still operating. Some have toilet and shower In room, others are shared with the other guests. Some are a little dodgey, some are rather nice, quaint. As my storey goes, there were no roms anywhere, none of the pubs, B&B's, nothing. The on our way out of town we passed the Woolpackers Hotel, Annie went in and asked for a room, yep, $40.00, "any with ensuites"? Yep, but they are $50.00! So, if you are willing, pub stay can be a real gas. But then a car is gonna cost about the same. B&B"s along the way can run $110.00 and up, but some are just the best places to stay. Either way, you would enjoy the trip. We were in Tasmania, a pub in Ross, The Arms of Waterloo, a penal colony in town way back when. The specialty of the day was Moracan lamb shanks. I had one of the best steaks ever in Stanley Tasmania. No diners in Australia, not like in the States. I could go on and on. Cheers, Bill

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,

Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Rick, Kent, I would be there in a heartbeat if I could. Ricks Salmon steaks on the barbie. No one has lived till they have had you rustle up some of these on the "Q". Annies favorite moments were with you and Megan in the bush of CA. It's where she would come back to. I will gas up the Cessna 150 and hope for fog again!

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bill, got one up on you [Razz]

Sue and I have 14000 shares in a chain of 5 star resorts. Get a FREE week or two anywhere in the world up to 5000+ places and two weeks car hire!!!!!!! Cost us $50 a week administration.

Just did the New Zealand meet then two weeks touring southern Alps and lakes. All it cost us was food and fuel! Figured it was worth over $5000 worth of accomodation and car hire.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's all relative to what you want, as well as how 'spare' your spare cash might be, if at all!

When the Letterheads-Oz meet was in Cairns, about 2000km north of here, the registration was a couple of hundred $, but we used the occasion to take the whole family for 10 days holiday up in that part of the world, and go out on the Barrier Reef etc. Total cost for the holiday- lots- Letterheads was the smallest expense, but it was the motivation for going there. Value of the holiday- priceless- it was about 7 years ago but it is still remembered fondly.

This year's meet in Tassie- cost: $1200 accommodation for 10 days, $800 van hire, $4200 airfare, and goodness knows what else. Letterheads rego was about $250ish. The other 7 days spent there were as a tourist with the family. Great time! The family had an experience in another part of Australia that we might not have visited otherwise. Could we afford or justify the cost- probably not, life is a financial battle, but was it worth it all in hindsight- YES!

Am I made of money- not on your life- but I'd spend the time again repeating the experience for the sake of the family- it was terrific.

We hosted a meet here in 2007, and it was at the time the cheapest Aussie meet for many years, considering all food, AND all accommodation were included. The fee was $250 per person for three days of fun. We had a great time. The workload organising it all was huge. The roll-up was great- the biggest attendance for several years.

The bill for the food was a big part of it all. Promoting it in advance of the occasion cost me a lot- well we mailed out about 1000 invitations to just about every sign shop we could think of, plus internet promotions, plus a stack of other types of marketing.

Breaking even was a big effort- we didn't make it- but that's not a bother- hosting it was an experience I was happy to afford.

Could we have done it 'on the cheap' - that's hard to say. We were the cheapest meet for many years abyway. Perhaps yes we could have done it for less, but then I doubt we'd have got the attendance numbers we did.

We 'hired' a big historical building, and did everything there, as catering & accommodation & showers/toilets etc were all there. Food was the largest cost, but it was good!

When you have a few sponsors donating assorted materials, and when you have a fair few giveaways over the three days, the sponsors do expect some kind of professional turnout I think, or at least a decent thanks for their gifts.

Anyhow thanks for your thoughts, Bill. I often wonder if we could start small again & how it would go. I still feel the biggest question is how to motivate those who've never been, to come.

One attitude I faced constantly when trying to enthuse others who have not felt that camararderie was "why should I pay something to go & spend three days doing what I can do at home for free, and besides, I want the weekend off, withoiut having to work", and the other attitude I found was "In our shop, I'm the only one who knows what a brush is, and I haven't used it for five years. The rest of the blokes who work here can't do a thing without a mouse and a keyboard, and to them it's a job, not a passion or a life. You'd never get them to turn up".

It still seems to be a mainly one-man or small-shop attendance thing, sadly.

I wish I knew the answers, but all I can say is that I'm trying to help enthuse others via the stories I do in the aussie Visual Impact magazine. Hopefully that might at least keep the movement known about more publicly, and maybe gain one or two curious newcomers to next year's great meet at Wagga Wagga.

(Thanks for the good thread!)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Well Jon, I wasn't trying to one-up anyone. Just trying to give a small picture of what would be in store for her. Cheers, Bill

[ November 09, 2009, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Bill Davidson ]

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, I never try to one-up" anybody. What I said was in jest [Smile]

In fact I have shared our fortune due an inheritace invested with family and friends, Sue and I can't use the available credits, but I can book free accommidation anywhere, anytime, for anyone. Already gave Vicki,
my daughter, a full week at Coffs Harbour and shared a two bedroom unit for a week ($600 a night!) in Fiji plus last year we spent a week, luxury resort, Puket Thailand.

Stewey, ditto your post! I have got to the stage in life where I can "officially" retire next year. I WONT! Love what I do and love doing it.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

[ November 10, 2009, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Bill Davidson ]

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!