Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Slappin' paint - without the drips

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slappin' paint - without the drips
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawud recently showed a great window splash video and got me thinking.

First of all... why do house / interior painters always wear white overalls... seems silly when a "blank canvas" of white would only be beneficial if white was the only colour they paint. Otherwise... any other colour is going to show quite dominantly.

That aside - have your clothes "improved" (for those that actually sling paint) over time. These days I seem to be able to paint in clothes without marking them - apart from the habit of wiping my fingers on them.

I have clothes that are quite old (albeit tighter) and every colour tells a story.

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what color do house painters usually work with?

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all part of the professional 'allure'.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha. Gregg, I painted houses for a while and if I had a quarter for every time I heard, "did you get any on the wall?" I could retire. [Smile]

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this post made me think of Pat King's "white" overalls (never got a chance to meet him [Frown] )
 -

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy Tshirts and long sleeve Tshirts that get splattered all the time. I do an athletic wear company's windows that sells me the seconds for a buck each, so I usually have a healthy supply of new tshirts. In the cooler weather, I wear sweatshirts that do get splattered, but usually some teenager comes up to me at some point and wants to buy the one I have on to look cool. I carry a spare or two in the truck. I did have an extra heavy white one from the Gap that was splattered with all colors fluorescent, that I wore for years, but some 25 year old woman offered me $50 for it. Duh. Sold it.

My ladder gets covered with drips. My jeans too, but amazingly, I manage to keep most of the color off the concrete in front of windows. I have been known to mix up some gray from time to time to touch up a few spots on the concrete. The guys who clean my windows for me ahead of my efforts know to look for any drips and to drop some stripper on them, so the rain washs them away. In 21 years of doing this, I have never had a complaint about drips, however years ago when I was starting out, I did drop 6 ounces of black poster on some fresh epoxy pebble walkway in front of one window. That freaked me out! I poured about a half gallon of mineral spirits on the area and paper towelled up most of it, then used a garden hose. The owner was not there when it happened and his widow sold the place in a few months after he crashed and burned in a race car. It was a high end Saab store. Whew!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I studdied in college to be an industrial arts teacher.....at that time, it was the norm for male teachers to wear jackets and ties (boy have times changed). We were expected to do the same (maintain a professional look)in all our classes: graphics, metals, wood, auto etc.

I don't think I ever spoiled a piece of clothing in the 9 years I spent teaching in the graphics, metals or wood shops.

Likewise, in the past 31+ years, my clothing has no stories to tell......I however, lol, have more than a few.....got a minute????? [Wink]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lots of stories and lots of paint on the clothes. Since I started doing a lot more digital prints, my appearance has changed a lot. It used to be strictly tshirts with paint splattered all over them and shorts that came below the knee with sneakers or sandals. Casual stuff.
Since I've been doing higher end wraps/digital stuff I still dress casual, but wear khakis/jeans with polos/ Only the occasional paint spot on the clothes now. Although, I keep a full set of paint clothes ready to go in the truck in case a splash job pops off spur of the moment!!

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep special clothes just for painting because I am a slob.
Rachael and I were shopping last week and lo & behold they were selling "designer" jeans which were splattered with printed-on paint.
She said "Look Mom I can dress like you!"
I remember a man posting here that any time he needed to be dressed up for an occasion he just painted his shoes black to cover the sign paint on them.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear the "painters paints", until they get so bad I toss 'em. I do use dropcloths, customers seem to appreciate that and some have said so, and sometimes even those orange cones when foot traffis may be an issue, although some people are busy watching me up on a ladder that they trip right over a cone. Doing alot of window work and at a pretty brisk pace it's better than having to spend time cleaning something up, although I do work pretty clean most of the time,.....if you paint "enough" spills happen!
T-shirts last awhile, and I do buy sweatshirts from thrift stores at a couple of bucks a piece, also cake pans (for roller pans), and those butter knifes that are made for a butter dish are just some of the little gems to be found and recycled. We all have our stories of spills etc. and would like to think that it may never happen again (knock on wood), but never say never!

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Browning
Visitor
Member # 9116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Browning   Email John Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do window splashes and always use drop clothes and put a piece of masking tape on window sills. Just yesterday I was trying to carry too many things at once and dropped half gallon of flat latex in the paved parking lot.
What a mess and very embarrassing. I only had half a roll of paper towels and two 5 gallon buckets of soapy water with me. I got most of it up, then had to guard the spot in case someone walked in it and tracked it into their cars. This really put a dent in my day. I hope a pressure washer will work to remove the remaining residue. Any ideas?

--------------------
John Browning
JBG John Browning Graphics
439 East St
Hebron CT

Posts: 75 | From: Hebron Ct | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my Tshirts get covered, I neatly stack a dozen of them in the back of my truck, inside a plastic snap container. Voila! Instant paint rags. That one only took me about ten years to get.

Removing latex on asphalt or concrete? On concrete, use stripper, first, then the pressure washer. On asphalt, just pressure wash and then try using some black poster on a rag with mineral spitits to fill the lower cavities.

The secret to having no drips or spills is definitely experience. You just have to out-think it. If it is too thin, it runs. If it is too thick, it is hard to run long straight lines. You just have to get to know the stuff. Verticle lines are usually best done from the bottom, up, but watch that first inch or so. Horizontal lines...try pulling six inches across and then restroke the whole line. I can usually do a 40" horizontal one inch line, if that tells you how thin the paint has to be. Another trick is to avoid the foamies which drip incessantly. I use the Nocturnas or #20 quills.

Another trick I learned is to coreplas the heck out of the back of my truck bed. Clear tape the edges and keep coating it out with white latex, everytime I am done with a white roller, to keep the back looking fresh. Just having it look neat does seem to encourage more neatness, I have found. You just have to learn form your booboos.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't see how it's possible to do any serious painting without some drips or spills somewhere along the line. I quit buying white t-shirts a long time ago and went to the light grey (sweatshirt-type color). In contrast to the white, which a dirty hand print, or some smudge off a board or whatever can make you look sloppy; they don't show such stuff. Maybe you could say they just look dirty all the time.

Most all of my 'normal' everyday clothes have a spot of paint (or several) on them somewhere. My wife is always after me about " don't you have any pants without paint on them?"....that type of thing. I just tell her that's my advertising, and go on. Just part of the whole, I guess.

I even have a special outfit I wear on occasion. One nice pair of Wranglers and a not-too-old pair of New Balance sneakers. Just putting the finishing touches on a large MDO sign; got down off the ladder and bumped it. The pint can of bright red hit me in the beltline, down the left leg of my pants and covered my left shoe. Every now and then, I wear them, just for special occasion.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can stand my jeans in the corner at night with all the paint on them.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tried the white ... but for me what a laugh and waste ..if only I got paint on them I'd be fine
I could be working on truck, scraping metals, playing with dog, and a bunch of other stuff that just plain gets me dirty to fast for white

thirft store jeans, shirts when to painted or dirt that's to tough to remove well next

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey dale..........back when splashes were about 90% of my business....they wanted to see how fast I could work.

They (the company reps) lined up a bunch of gas stations about a mile apart. Big splash across the front windows and a splash on the side window.

I did 10 stations in a lil over 8 hours...but I was one tired puppy!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Russell Smith
Visitor
Member # 4367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Russell Smith   Email Kevin Russell Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day White overalls were always part of a painters "uniform" because the old fashioned
Kalsomine & Majora paints were removed by boiling
in a "copper" ( a wood fired washing system )

Boiling other colours naturally buggered the colour

See Ya

--------------------
Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith Signs
"Belrose" 1441 Cassilis Road Mudgee
NSW Australia
kssigns@hwy.com.au

Posts: 1 | From: Mudgee NSW Australia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen bright red let. enamel jump from out of nowhere and land on me. It must be some sort of phobia, but I don't even have to be working with that color and it will somehow get on me.

All love ones in my life have tried in vain to cure me of the habit of getting paint on me. But it ain't happenin'.

Eventually they have come to realize the futility of it all and just kind of let me be. But I have the ability to become "one" with paint.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also found that I do not just attract paint like a magnet.
Yesterday I somehow got carpet adhesive on the hiney of my best jeans.
[Frown]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Try 84 Wendys in 11 days and add in 3000 miles of driving! I love banging out stuff fast, as long as I know what I got to do and have the spelling correct in my head. Cheeseburger does have three 'e's in there. "Factory Warranty Remaining".... remaining, not remaing times 30 windshields. "#1 Customer satisfaction Leader"....of yeah, there is an 's' in the middle of satisfaction, I noticed a year later when it was on television in their ad.

As I have said all along, I need spell check in my brush!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Wanda B. Goode
Visitor
Member # 2794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wanda B. Goode   Email Wanda B. Goode       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well over the past 20 years I have worn denim overalls/shortalls while painting and many times was told how cool they look. LOL Nearly everything I own has paint on it. My Dad was a platerer and always wore white pants and shirt. Well plaster was almost always white but I've used nearly every color of the rainbow. "The Designer Look" is what I call it. T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, doesn't matter they all get splashed sooner or later!

--------------------
Wanda B. Goode
Artist
P.O. Box 210636,
Bedford, TX, USA

Posts: 12 | From: Bedford, TX | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Wendy's gig sounds sweet, Preston.
When I did those ones in the video. I left out
the $ sign on the first two. OOPS! Good thing I was still in the neighborhood when I realized it.
As for spills and splashes. I've got to say the best one I ever had was when I didn't put the lid on my AURORA FLOURESCENT PINK tight enough and it spilled in the back of my truck while I was driving then proceeded to drip out of my tailgate all the way from the jobsite to where I was having lunch. When I got back to the Car dealership I had this huge line of Flouro Pink stretching about 100 feet or more until it went into the street.
Did I have a fun day of clean up that day? Haha!

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Did a Hyundai store today, but it was 250 miles away. Gracie complained, voicirferously when I got back at 8:45 pm and left at 5 AM. My buddy Suzie came over and let her out, but I did manage to get 80 W/S done and a walk up winder done. I dripped red all over the side of a 740BMW cause I was moving too fast, so my 'experience' is a myth! Interesting how Fluoro red looks kinda hot and a green 740.
Should have used a drop cloth? No way. We splaskers know how to wipe fast and never let them see us.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

yessir!

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spray some Rapid Remover on those stained clothes and throw em in the wash!
Thats what I do.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I worked at a bench ( easel ) the upper parts of my pants caught hell. These days it's only the shoes. Since we converted to urethane's, the mess is less do to very little transference. Whenever I do work with enamels, I can't believe how it gets EVERYWHERE.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!