Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Ace exterior paint ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ace exterior paint ?
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there are a lot of people are using Sherwin Williams but has anyone used water-based Ace Hardware paints for exterior signs?

Thanks!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stick to Sherwin Williams Metal Latex or One Shot oil with hardener for anything I want to last. Whay take a chance?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, Bruce, if you ask someone honest there, they will tell you that someone like Sherwin-Williams, Glidden or one of the big boys makes their paint for them.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall...consumer reports gave that Ace paint a high rating...I remember being surprised to read that. But I have no personal experience with it.

I use Ben Moore or American Tradition by Valspar...The latter being the better as far Is I can see.

I'm going to look into the Nova paints soon though...I have heard nothing but positive things about that acrylic.

[ October 16, 2009, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Ogden ]

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys!
Preston I want to use water-based to lower the toxins. This body seems to be getting more sensitive to them, maybe it's age but I need to start changing. I am fine with the small amounts for portraits but large areas are just to much even though I like the way they handle.
I would like to use Ace as they are a stones throw away.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't speak for their latex but Their Industrial enamel (Rust Stop) is very nice. We have a used a fair amount of in the past on Poles and frames.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Milne
Visitor
Member # 4621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Milne   Email Rick Milne       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly confident that Ace uses Benjamin Moore repackaged as their store brand, since (at least ours) carries BM branded paints.

--------------------
Rick
Tam Arte Design Studio
Downingtown, PA
milne2@msn.com

Posts: 278 | From: Downingtown, PA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Thanks!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2001 painted a wall sign 200' long and 20' tall using SW Metal-latex. The lettering was fairly large scale, so it was easy to do with latex. The blues, grays and greens held up the best, but the reds required two or three coats, but were easy to do with little red used. OK. The sign advertised Plymouth-Chrysler and they are now Nissan, but the same sur name. They coated out the lower lettering in the wrong shade of white and then the large pentastar with another shade of white. They wanted the new Nissan logo up there, so I went to inspect it carefully, a month ago. The metal-latex held up very well with no lifting, but the new white areas are already coming loose.

I had a former Buick store that needed a blue stripe painted around the top of the building. 16" tall and down a couple blocks for the top. I used metal-latex and even improvised an angled roller with long nap on it, so I could roll it from above for most of it. The store sold and it is now a finance operation. They wanted to paint the building a light gray and used some commercial company. I drove by there last week and inspected it as one of their windows that I lettered was broken. The area where the blue stripe was, is holding up better under the gray than the rest of the place, a year later.

I have used metal-latex for years and even though it is more expensive, it has always come through for me in terms of quality. If you are going to use a water based product, try it. You can't eliminate brush marks or roller lines, but the stuff is stable and sticks well.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!