Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Who can explain this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who can explain this?
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once a month my buddy take off early Sunday morning (he's a photographer. We search the back roads of Pennsylvania for old cars in barns or fields.) He is starting a website (Castawaycars.com). We found a car beside this barn. I looked at the doors from a long distance away and looked strange! I took my camera and was amazed at finish "mother nature" put on these doors. The look like they were sndblasted! My thought was a signman, years ago when paint had "Real LEAD" in it put a heavy coat on these doors. Over the years the wood wore away faster than the heavy paint! The photos do not do justice!

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive seen the same thing on old wood buildings across the south here,..seems to me the lead white used to letter the walls held up alot better than the linseed oil and lampblack background,..thus after many decades the only protection for the wood was the lead white left on the lettering. Eventualy the wind and weather takes its toil on the wood and the effect you see is the result. The few cases I have seen here were well over a hundred years old.

Edited to ask what does the original sign read?

[ September 25, 2009, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that is great. Like the CLOTHING letter style

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says, "THE MODEL DRYGOODS AND STAR CLOTHING HOUSE
FINKELSTEIN Bros.
WELLSBORO. PA"

--------------------
Tony Vickio
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tony! Curiosity got the best of me,..

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's neat. A REAL ghost sign. [Smile]
I'd guess your take on it is bang on.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty awesome, Tony....very neat.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...What was the car you found?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Besserman
Visitor
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sid Besserman   Email Sid Besserman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's lettering archeology. "Fossilized signage"..

--------------------
Sid Besserman
Sid Besserman Pinstriping & Graphics
Old Westbury,NY
Striper7@optonline.net

Posts: 46 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Besserman
Visitor
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sid Besserman   Email Sid Besserman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's lettering archeology. "Fossilized signage"..

--------------------
Sid Besserman
Sid Besserman Pinstriping & Graphics
Old Westbury,NY
Striper7@optonline.net

Posts: 46 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
put them doors in the sign museum!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A repaint or two over the years may have helped it keep going.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why is the rest of the shed not bleached and eroded like the doors? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug had the same thought as me; put those in the American Sign Museum. That's amazing.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Butterworth:
But why is the rest of the shed not bleached and eroded like the doors? [I Don t Know]

Nice photos!

Jon,
My guess after looking at them is, there may have been a full background color like white down first to make the two doors a full ad.

Then lettered on that.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

It is quite a find. I don't know when I will ever get back down there. I would look good in a museum!

I think this was the truck parked near by. It just started to rain.

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241

Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think it's caused by the same action that creates "shadows"...the sun bleaching the color isn't only action taking place after paint is applied over any surface, car painters have had fits for years trying to get "shadow" of applied graphics to disappear, when repainting... even after grinding entire surface to raw metal, shadow still comes back as metal, in car cases, moves slightly from forces applied by paint drying...

What year is that p/u? '48??? (notice one piece windshield fellow rodders?) Oh yeah.........

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, it's a 52. Pretty much the same as a 48 with the exception of the grille, the hoods a little different and the dash is also different. Over the years, I've owned two 48's, two 49's and a 52.

I've also seen this phenomenon on barns and the one Frank mentioned on cars a lot.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I aquired an old shed last year, it was Cedar and I noticed that the wood did the same thing where the old hardware had been. It seemed as if the doors had worn away by the elements, but where it was once covered by the old hardware the wood was at the original thickness. So it's quite possible the doors are Cedar.

[ September 29, 2009, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing pine, myself. If you look closely you can see how the wood eroded around the nails, leaving the nailheads raised.

My guess about this is the background was lampblack, which faded and eroded, while the white lead in the lettering acted as a preservative. And yes, these really should be preserved somehow. Very, very cool. [Cool] [Applause] [Thanks]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baty
Deceased

Member # 9776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baty   Email Mark Baty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony,
I have the answer to this one, because I have an old mail box sign that began showing releaf letters after about 14 yrs. I think the wood is
cedar, but what your looking art is background
paint long weathered away because the superior
lettering enamel was on top of the base coat
protecting from the elements many years before
it finally wore away the lettering color then the
background coat. Thanks for the photos, I wonder
if vinyl signs will last that long. We forget,
oil paint is 500 year old technology.
Mark Baty

--------------------
Mark Baty
Mark 1 Studio
1980 SE Leeann Drive
Waukee, IA 50263

Posts: 45 | From: Waukee, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!