Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Not for the Faint of Heart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not for the Faint of Heart
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Durnford   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Durnford       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I just recently sold my studio and packed up its contents, It was a lot harder than I anticipated.
It wasn't as much the physical demand, as it was the letting go. Each tool was so familiar to me. Over the decades and thousands of hours of use they had become extensions of my hands, companions in honing the craft and partners overcoming the challenges that came through my studio. It was like saying goodbye to old friends.
Still, it feels good to turn the page and move on, to face new challenges and head into the unknown. I guess letting go is just part of the process.

[ September 22, 2009, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Shane Durnford ]

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design
142 Mill Street, Creemore, ON, L0M 1G0

Posts: 302 | From: Creemore, ON | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That has to be a tough move...but my best wishes go out to you.

You will be successful at whatever you do because that is your nature.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How sad that seems, Shane. I remember well how your space reflected your spirit. Keep in touch, I love reading your thoughts. Not only is your work visual poetry, your writing is melodic as well. I hope the road ahead is kind to you and the future fills the need for change that haunts you.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Durnford   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Durnford       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the vote of confidence Raymond, it's too bad we didn't get to meet at Dan's last year. It was this close.

Thanks Kelly, It was great getting to know you, Let's definitely keep in touch.
My studio was a comfortable space, it was a sanctuary of sorts. The hardest piece to let go was my easel I learned to carve on. I spent thousands of hours at that table.
I'll continue to design while I make my way through the lengthy recruitment process.

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design

Posts: 302 | From: Creemore, ON | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll do well Shane, when ever the 'sign blues' hit ya, give me a buzz and if you come to Ottawa for any reason, come on over, I can always fit one more beer !

cheers brother

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine tools are like good friends. Hard to find, there when you need them, hard to let them go and difficult to replace.
It must have been really tough to let go, but you've got a brand new future and it sounds exciting. By all means keep in touch Shane.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops

[ September 22, 2009, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane,

With your spirit and heart there could be nothing but good in your future.

Hopefully you kept a few tools in your hip pocket for those creative times.

Tomorrow is exciting for sure.

I hope to visit you again some time down the road.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man that is so sad to have to read, it was just a year ago when I sat across from you having dinner and you were telling me about your plans... Good Luck Shane.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday at a meeting, we were asked, what three things would we bring with us if stranded on an island?

Answering that question really spoke volumes about what these folks were really made of.

It would be my belief that one thing for you would have been your tools so you could create.

Incidently, my answers were...

Save-On Foods
my son
a truckload of DIY possibilities so I could create

I wanted a 4th and that would have been friendS with a plural. I also need to surround myself with good like minded people to keep my spirit on high. We all do.

Keep being true to yourself, Shane. I think it's imperative. I wish you well!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain Shane (no pun intended). I'm about to do the same thing and I'm sure I will be faced with the same emotions. Each tool has such special moments, such meaning. I can think about each one and the jobs I used it on and how much money it's made me, how much time it saved me and how nice it was to have it. Without a doubt you will be buying new tools, and making even better decisions this time. Life is like a river; just go with the flow.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture box just has a red X when I open this thread. Could someone post a copy of the photo for me?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

That's so strange...you couldn't see Shane's picture until Dunc posted it and then you could, when Dunc removed his version you couldn't again and now that I posted it Shane's is visible again. What's with that?

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you the best in your new endeavors, Shane. I review the notes from your and Sawhatizname's workshops often. If I can get 2% to sink in, I'll be a much better designer.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are one crazy weird guy Shane! The sign world will definitely miss you, there's so few good sign designer out there. Maybe you can re-design those OPP car graphics?

Life is so good!

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Thanks all for your best wishes

It would seem weird to some why anyone would give up a craft and profession that they had dedicated so many years to.

The simple answer is ... It's all Dan Sawatzky's fault

Really, as much as I loved crafting signs, it made less and less sense to be involved in that process. As well, I had enough of squirreling away in a studio covered in HDU dust while life passed me by.
I also reached a point in my life that some label as a "mid life crises", it's really more like a mid life re-evaluation. There was something else that I always wanted to do and that was to be of service to society and take my place on the front lines making the world a better place. When the request went out from the provincial police service for life experienced candidates, It seemed like the natural next step in the journey.

I kept all my hand tools and a couple of work benches I couldn't part with, they live with me. I'll always find an outlet to work with my hands
The recruitment process has so far taught me humility and patience, closing my studio and leaving a 29 year career has been a lesson in letting go, free falling and trusting the process.
Meantime I'm reaching out to past clientele and new business as a marketing/sign designer and consultant. It's better profit margin and much less overhead (a desk,chair and computer).

Where and what I'll be in a year from now, I don't know. In the meantime I'll take it day by day and enjoy living in the moment.

This craft, in particular this forum has allowed me the opportunity to make many good friends and acquaintances.

My wish is they continue to grow and I get to meet a few more of you.

I am still disappointed I didn't make it to Dan's workshop last fall. It would have been a great weekend getting to know more of you.

Here is a sign I designed this week for an urban farm project.

-

Raison d'etre: This design was created for Farm Start, a agricultural facility in Metro Toronto on traditional farm land. I used the vernacular of the historical barn on the property as the inspiration for the sign design and gently played with it's traditional architectural elements. A grounding in tradition with a bit of the unconventional, like the facility it represents.
The colours and materials will lend a earthy tactile quality to the sign. The rocks will further ground the design by giving it a visual ballast. The hand piled stone will communicate the connective tradition of working the land by hand. Wild flowers could be planted in amongst the stones complimenting the subtle colour of the sign and creating movement against its static form.
The overall sign is simple yet interesting, a subtle play with shadows and textures. However, it's the decorative top that will bring the sign to life.
This design will harmonize with the gentle quality of the farm's natural entrance while having a strong presence.

[ September 24, 2009, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Shane Durnford ]

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design

Kelly Hall
Resident

Member # 2153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Hall   Email Kelly Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Shane. I love your redefinition of a "mid life crises", and I'm sure most of us (me for sure) will go through it. Best of luck and keep in touch. Somehow I can picture you in your police car , sketching out designs not writing out tickets [Smile]

--------------------
Kelly Hall
Keltech Signs
Fergus, Ont.

Posts: 38 | From: Fergus, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane, I also missed meeting you in Yarrow, but would still hope to look you up when on one of my recurring trips to my Fathers favorite place North of Toronto.

I just purged a lot of tools over the last 2 weeks, and felt how much our material possessions can become emotional connections, & how the changes one makes, regarding passing on ownership of those possessions, can intermingle with such seemingly important parts of our being at times, even when we know the possessions themselves do not.

The items I let go of were far far less important tools, because they were some of my least used & newest acquisitions... but it still carried some degree of anxiety (& relief) so I can only imagine what your experience might have been to move forward from such a significant part of your life.

Best wishes for all the future holds!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best and most innovative designers I've ever seen.

But I've said that before.

Good luck, Shane . . . but don't ever stop designing. That would be a waste . . .

It would have been nice to have met someone whose work I admire so much . . . maybe someday, eh?

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never understand what drives one (myself) to develop a "talent". Nor understand what drives one with talent to steer away from it. I guess maybe one day we will get THAT opportunity to explain it to each other in person. Hoping anyway.

Best of luck Shane, at least I know as "pen pals" you will always be there for myself and others in times of artistic trouble.

Cheers mate.

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Thanks, A standing invitation to all of you that plan to come up this way. I don't have my sign studio to hang out in, we do however have a pretty little village and a great brewery.
I'm just redesigning my website but continue to fill out my new BLOG with stuff.
Kelly, nice haircut, looks great. Definitely will be armed with a sketch pad when I get on the job.
Gregg, I think it's about balance. Everything in the universe seeks out it's center. I passionately pursued my craft for years forsaking almost everything else, resulting in severe burnout. It'll come back in some form. Still haven't lost my passion for the pursuit of good design though. Dirk Rampling and I have recently about taking another run at a workshop in Australia this year. I've been getting requests for another design workshop recently, as far away as Germany. Hopefully it will translate itself to interest attending one in OZ.

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design

KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think you are making the right choice.
good for you!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Thanks for the vote Karyn

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane

I have many thoughts and opinions on your current direction. I'd love to sit and chat with you for a long while uninterrupted. I know from our discussions in the past that you were struggling with many things in your business and personal life... and questioning the new technology like routers and how they affected you and your business.

I sincerely hope you will be happy with your current direction in life. We all need to embrace change from time to time... we must change without a doubt.

I for one will always wonder what a creative genius like yourself could have done if you had embraced the modern tools (like a router) while still keeping the chisels handy when you needed them. As you well know the high end tools would have taken the grunt out of your work while still leaving the fun and highly skilled work in your very capable hands.

I know when you design you use the latest tools and programs with wonderful result while still allowing the hand strokes to show through.

The workshop we give here in our shop would undoubtably be of great benefit to you - not because of what I could possibly teach you, but rather because of the questions I ask each student to ask themselves - continually as they work. The talks I give are as much about balance in our lives as techniques we may use to create cool signs.

Anytime you can fit one of our workshops into your schedule you are more than welcome to come as our guest. The next one is in about three weeks if you can manage it. The Shane plane sits on a shelf in wait of your arrival.

As far as my opinion of you crafting great signs and art in your future... my bet is you'll be back in full force fairly soon - stronger and more capable than ever.

I wish you well my friend!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!