Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Guess who I found in the hills of North Carolina . . .???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guess who I found in the hills of North Carolina . . .???
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Marcus Welby, MD . . . OK, not really . . . it was Doc Welty - former co-editor and co-creator of Letterheads Magazine . . .

We spent all afternoon and evening (and dinner) together with him and his wife, Melanie . . . and had a great time catching up . . . so good to see him again. We figured it had been about 6 years since we had spent time together . . .

They are quite well and loving life . . .

He owns Leicester Valley Clay: http://www.leicestervalleyclay.com/

Here's some pics of his studio and such:

-

-

He engraved the names of some famous potters - and friends from the sign biz - in a band of terra cotta around the building - and more terra cotta enhancements as you can see . . . A very cool place in the foothills:

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too Cool...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is some kiln he has!!!!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's got 3 of them, Si . . . a woodburning one, the big one heated with propane - and I forget what the other one uses . . .

It's a great setup . . . and Doc mixes all his own glazes . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see Doc again. My last sighting was in Atlantic City about five or six years go. Looks like he is doing well.

I noticed that neither my name or Jay's was anywhere on the bulding. I guess I'm going to have to rewrite my will now.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better do it fast Ray! (chuckle)

That sure is som nice work. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2279 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see his face. That looks like quite the place!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does he still smell great?
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and i thought i was the only painter who WAS A POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AWESOME SET UP!!!!!!!!
i got a new wheel, and iam setting up a 8 x10 room, on the side of the house to set up the wheel.
right next to it i got a 12x12, covered space iam gona concrete and screen in for hand building.
i got a freind of mine from the 70's MICHEAL LABOON, who has created a lot of ceramic art work in san luis, ca.

[ September 21, 2009, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Old Paint . . . I didn't know that . . . very cool. I'm a mud man too - but never as a vocation.

He's a happy camper . . . that's clear. And Asheville (closest town nearby) is a very Arts-friendly community . . .

Jill . . . he smelled of Wild Turkey after we met . . . a shot of it is required when Letterheads visit him . . . and we did. Beyond that, I didn't sniff him . . . you women sure do notice those things a LOT more than guys do . . .!! I might have been asked to leave if I'd started sniffing . . .

Ray . . . nope - you're not there and neither am I . . . I looked [Smile] But if it will make you feel better, he's not done with that part all the way around - and, by the way, I didn't see Mark Oatis name either . . .!!! [Wink]

He also has a TALL Golden Retriever that made friends with our new Golden . . . they played and played . . . despite the size difference.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this was my PENN STATE college prof, i feel fortunate to have spent time learning from him.
http://www.claireart.ca/zk/zkmain.htm
THIS ONE, is right here in pcola.
http://www.peterkingceramics.com/
ive been to his shop a couple times...and as most potters, hes totally helpful and friendly.
the guy with the "AFRO", IS ME..........teaching..1977
 -

[ September 21, 2009, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great to see Doc is doing well, been ages since I've seen him. Thanks Jay.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be darned. I've been wondering about him. I see he's doing just fine.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Jay, thanks for posting those pix bud; I've been wondering what the doc was up to. I'm really glad to see him doing well and using his creativity. What an incredibly cute studio he has there!

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!