Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Carving Tools and Sharpening

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carving Tools and Sharpening
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first brush with carving was with Joe at the first Maritime Round Up. Earlier this month Rodger and Murray helped me out with sharpening my tools. What they really helped me out with was convincing me to throw out my "war clubs" and get some decent tools. Fortunately for me these came sharpened and ready for honing, but I've been checking out the net for a refresher to make sure I am not doing things wrong.
I came across this site and thought it was a good source of information in a fairly concise format.
I also found this You Tube video that is very well presented and informative.
What I really like about both links is they show you how to sharpen without any fancy gadgets.
It seems in keeping with the hand tooled aspect of carving.
I hope they are of use to someone, now I'm off to make a couple of strops and hone my new tools.

[ August 28, 2009, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the master of sharp tools is Joe Cieslowski..\
I went to a seminar that he gave....
some of the tips on your links do not agree with Joe.
I hope he joins this thread and explains why...

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope so too Michael.
I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat, but if there is something contradictory I'd sure like to know.
I was thinking when I went looking that I wished Joe had done a video on sharpening. There aren't many out there for sharpening carving tools.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yoe mean rubbibg them on the cement floor doesn't get them nice and sharp?

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw a fun movie with Meril Streep. Then I read the article in Kelly's first link and I watched about 3/4 of the UTube video.

No wonder carving is a dying art.....carving without sharp tools drives folks pretty quickly to the CNC's.

IMO, to be succesful you first have to understand what the hell you are trying to do. Is it to just create a cutting edge? A tin can lid is a cutting edge, How does that work? If I do the same thing to a knife edge, am I all set? What happens to the steel when you are sharpening on a stone,......really, what happens to the steel. How does the stone "cut" the steel? What are the results?

Neither of those two links explain these basics.

A cutting edge is an inclined plane....neither link talks about it.....seems pretty "basic" to me.

To sharpen succesfully, you not only need a basic mechanical process, you also need to know what that process does and why. Otherwise, it's all a shot in the dark.

Here's a go around from a few years back

http://www.letterville.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/20987.html?

I think Terry Whynot said it best.

and another..........

http://www.handletteringforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137&hilit=+sharpening+chisels+

The article I wrote in Sign Business is available as a reprint.....I think. I could also photo copy the articles if anyone is really interested.

I really have mixed feelings about trying to do a tutorial here. It just turns into a "well I do it this way" thread and nothing gets accomplished.

Sleepy Time!

Joe,

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, many years back Gary Rhodes turned me on to this visible grinding disc that goes into the drill press and has slots cut lit spokes through it. With a light on it you can see the edge through the disc as it shapes the steel. I follow that with a cotton wheel on a grinder and green compound. I seem to get a razor edge in a minute that holds for a while, then I just re buff. Haven't used a stone in years.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am familiar with that method Rick.

If I were to use it, how would I grind a consistant bevel at, lets say. 15 degrees?

BTW, what is the grit number on that wheel?

Thanks.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, I have no answer to either of your questions.
I can see right away if I have the same angle as previously by the visible brightness of the grind, and can maintain that angle or alter it. I seldom use the angle that came on the tool because I carve in redwood and use a little sharper angle. I have two of those wheels and no idea what the grit is. One of the wheels is the one made by Beaver Industries, and I think they stopped making them because of some litigation resulting from misuse. The other was made by Gary Rhodes brother in law from a store bought grinding disc. They are fast, and I like seeing the area I'm grinding while I'm doing it.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Rick,

If I recall this method correctly, there is no tool rest or other guide to hold the tool against the wheel. This is a totally "free hand" technique.

Do I have that right?

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, I'd like to get a copy of your article if you have time . Thanks.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

I'd love a copy too, but here is a better suggestion if it can be done. I don't know if you are allowed to use the article - if it belongs to you or Sign Business, but if you are maybe you could send it to Barb and get her to put it into the tips and tricks session.
The other option would be to post Joe's method and have it locked so it doesn't become a discussion , but rather a tutorial of the way you sharpen. That way it is here for future reference for everyone.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Kelly,

I do retain the copyright. In SOTT articles, they retain all rights. It's one reason I write more for SB. SC also doesn't.

I suppose I could re-write it here but the pics are on film......I'd have to copy them to digital, which is easy enough. There are a few things that do need to be added to the original so it would probably be a good thing.

We'll see how it goes.

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, there are probably many people here that would appreciate the additional effort you are considering taking on to share information with us. Often I would just wait and watch, but I wanted to chime in and speak for the masses who might be watching & waiting... Bring it on!!! We ARE watching & DO appreciate the information!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, what do you think about this one?
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=22.300.0&dept_id=22913

I guess the Delta has been discontinued? The only Delta I've found still being sold uses a vertical wheel like the Tormek.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Dave,

This is the one......it seems to still be available.

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=23-710&LARGEVIEW=ON

The link you posted has a machine that uses the "see thru" wheel like Rick talked about. You'll notice that it's a "free hand" holding system.....not very accurate and would be a real bummer for a beginner. Also no water cooled grinding. There are other downsides.

Thanks for searching around.

This Delta sharpener showed up in '94, I think. I'd always had in mind what the ideal grinder would look like and I jumped on this in a nano second. It had just about everything I was looking for. Prior to this, I was using an 8" lapadary wheel and basically a conventional tool rest.

Here is the one that Doug Bernhardt uses.....this does have promise. If that square tool rest can be tilted to 75 degrees and you add a home made adapter/jig to it it would work great! Isn't water cooled tho.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44884&cat=1,43072

I've been looking for my pictures and haven't found them yet...........they are here somewhere.....hmmmmmmmm

Thanks again!

Joe,

[ August 29, 2009, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Joe Cieslowski ]

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Joe, the method that I use involves no guide or support. Free hand, and I have a water can next to me and dip before the metal ever gets too warm.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Thanks Rick!

That does require an experienced hand/craftsman. One more skilled than I.

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Just got off the phone with Dave......

He talked to Delta.......they stopped making them. If ya want a Delta Sharpening Center ya better get one now.

p.s. Don't read the reviews......they are not relavant to how I set this machine up.

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got one. Thanks for the heads up.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Darcy,

Get the wheel dresser too.....it's about $12. It came whith mine but it's an accesory now.

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Thanks, Went to 4 sites that "had it " and it was out of stock. Last place said it was the last one.$220. I'll look for the wheel dresser.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, I learned the slotted wheel sharpening technique when I took Dusty Yaxley's carving course. It took the most part of a day to reshape all my Swiss and German chisels. I would grind a little on each one and when it got even close to being warm I put it down and picked up another one. Water will drop the temp too quick and take the temper out of the tip. The wheel is from Beaver Engineering, Pawtucket, RI (401)728-4740); but a quick look on the net leads me to believe they are no longer in business. Too bad cause this is an amazing tool. I remember a Letterhead meet where a guy picked up one of Dusty's chisels and felt of the tip, saying "that doesn't feel that sharp to me". Dusty opened his wallet and took out a bandaid and gave to him. The guy asked him "Why are you giving me that?" Dusty smiled and said "Because you're bleeding all over the floor", LOL.

BTW, I have a very nice set of chisels, the slotted wheel, a huge Baldor buffer (1" shaft!) with a 3/4" and 3" muslin wheels, & dressing that I would like to sell if anyone is interested.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much you askin'? photo?

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got notified that the Delta Sharpening Center has shipped from Amazon. They still have some in stock.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat, I'll make some pix for you and come up with a reasonable price and send them to your email.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!