Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Attaching Gemini Letters to a block/cinder block/brick wall?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attaching Gemini Letters to a block/cinder block/brick wall?
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to attache some Gemini letters to a cinder block and/or brick wall. The Gemini letters have "set off" pegs on the back so that they stand away from the wall about 5/8".

I have to drill holes through the pattern and into the wall - the pattern being supplied by Gemini. But am wondering if I will need a 'hammer drill' for cinder block and/or brick or if some sort of bit for a standard drill motor will work?

Your experience and advice is greatly appreciated! I'll be posting the outcome of this sign which includes a digital print applied to a custom cut shape of PVC (also standing off the wall) along with the Gemini letters pretty soon.

Thanks.

EDIT: I should have mentioned - my fear with the 'hammer drill' is that I don't want to crack out any sections of a cinder block wall as you know there are thin-walled areas and hollow centers...same for bricks.

[ August 27, 2009, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hammerdrill. You're only drilling about a 3/16" to 1/4" diameter hole so I don't see you cracking any of the masonry.

In how, its what I use and I've never had a problem with it.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would you use to adhere the letters? I think Gemini said Silicone Caulk....will that hold up ok? Or would you use a more aggressive construction adhesive or something that gets harder than silicone caulk?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hammedrill Baby!!! Just like I did on the rock. Hammer This

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3845 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plain ol' clear silicone is fine (not the latex stuff). I've got letters that I helped my dad put up back in '78 still up today.

Just drill the holes, squirt some silicone in the hole and pop the letters in.

[ August 27, 2009, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plain old carbide tipped masonry drilss will be all you need.

Cinder blocks and brick are not anywhere as hard to drill as stone. A hammer drill is overkill.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use a hammer drill & silicone.
If the letters are in danger of theft we use construction adhesive.
Take some canned air to blow the holes clean.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1127 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

This is what I use most of the time when I'm drilling masonry.....

-

Just need to make sure you have extra batteries if you're out in the field with no place to plug in.

For harder stuff, I use this one.....

-

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, if you have a Dewalt cordless hammer drill, it will go a lot easier and faster. Have done lots on brick and block and never had a problem with chipping. For adhesive, I've always used silicone as well, and never had one fall off.

Like Mr. Bill said, it's nice to have some air to blow the holes clean...

Biggest thing to watch for when going into brick or block... (for me anyway) is to make SURE you start your hole in the middle of the hole in the template. If it's on the edge of a brick/block, your bit may try to walk on you a little and will rip the template a bit... try to prevent that as much as possible. Once the template is wallered out (do they use that term up north?) you're just guessing as to where the hole should be. It's hard to increase the size of your hole in the brick/block, and if it's off just a little, it'll give you a headache.

Similarly, make sure all your holes are perfectly straight. If you get one on an angle, it really pulls on the letter..... to the point of even showing on the face if it's too bad....

You probably know all that, but it's just something I try to concentrate on when installing these things....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use the side air vent in the drill to blow out the hole, or a Turkey Baster..and everything else said above...all great advice.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Sweet! Thanks one and all for the advice!! I feel a lot better about doing this now... it'll be my first Gemini install. I'll post it when completed.

Thanks too for the canned air/drill motor air blowout suggestion! Never would have thought about that until I was on the job. I'll take a can of air with me.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol!

Take 2 cans of air....one for blowing out the holes, and the other to use on yourself, to cool off when you work up a sweat!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si, Todd's in Michigan..... I think they had their summer on July 28 of this year.... [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Si. I have a Black and Decker Firestorm 18v, and it drills great in cinderblock with a masonry bit. Cinderblock is much easier to drill than going through brick. Then, Id use a hammerdrill unless I was drilling in the mortar.
But I have used my regular drill on brick too. I buy a couple bits when Im going out to drill for letters, or mounting a sign on brick. I went through four bits on one job, yeeesh.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, even with keeping the drill straight, you'll be off just enough that the holes will grab the studs for a nice secure fit. I used to squeeze silicone in the hole, but I've changed my method. How do you know how much you're putting in and I feel that the studs might just push the glob of silicone out the back side if you've drilled into a cavity. Now I stick the stud right in the tube of silicone and squeeze lightly as I pull the tube away from the stud. You can see how much silicone you are applying. This method leaves a nice layer all the way around the stud, and I know there is going to be enough silicone in the hole near the surface to seal off the hole from the elements.

I don't think a hammer drill is overkill. It's going to make the drilling part go faster. I just bought a Ryobi hammer drill for $69. (I already had several batteries, that's just the drill cost.) It has three settings, hammer, regular drilling, and screws. Handy to have a second drill in the shop.

edit: Si, I don't know what kind of bricks they have in sunny California, but here in Michigan the bricks are about the same as rock. I've given up trying to drill into brick whenever possible and aim for the mortar. Even our mortar is hard here. And I'm talking a Milwaukee 120 volt hammer drill. My 18 V works well though. I was surprised at the power and longevity of the batteries.

[ August 27, 2009, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5403 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In total agreement on the hammer drill & clear silicone.

I usually make my own pattern, letters pen plotted on roll paper, roll paper on top of styrofoam. I shorten some studs, grind points on them, then align the letters and press thru the pattern. Sounds like extra effort but sometimes I haven't been happy with Gemini's letter spacing.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Great info guys! Thanks a ton!

Jon, you're right - our summer WAS on July 28th... it's only supposed to be about 68 today and 50's the rest of the weekend. THAT IS INSANE!! This is AUGUST for crying out loud - it's supposed to be the hot dog days of summer! What's going on??

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric,
We do that too when the design is critical.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1127 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd,
You didn't mention how large the letters are, but if they are over 10-12" tall, I always over size the holes. It makes the install MUCH easier, and with more than 4 studs on a letter, you'll get plenty of tension to hold the letters up. I also agree with Bill & Eric about gemini's patterns and letter spacing. Gemini charges $3.00+ per letter, so making your own pattern is worth it to get proper spacing and an accurate pattern.

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks Tom - the letters are 4" tall, but I may do my own template next time... I didn't realize it because I thought it was part of buying the letters... but I think they tacked on another $50 or so.... good info. Thanks!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd,
I would definitely make my own pattern. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already but, you can download the font for whatever Gemini letters you are installing, from their website.

What I do is carefully measure a couple of letters, then size them exactly in the computer, kern them like I want, and plot my pattern.

You can make some short stud markers out of a few nails, or unthreaded studs. sharpen the ends.

Lay the pattern out flat on a workbench

Push the short stud marker/pins into the stud mounts on the letters.

Press each letter to the pattern, puncturing a hole exactly where the stud should be.

Tape your pattern to the wall and drill through the pattern.

Use a hammer drill and the job will go fast.

Use a turkey baster or small air compressor to clean out the holes.

Use 100% silicone to mount

[ September 04, 2009, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Here's the way I've made my own patterns.....

Carefully lay out the lettering on design program... sized and kerned correctly...

Load some crappy vinyl in my cutter... I use some old color I've had here for the last five years... like turquoise blue or calf scours yellow... cut the lettering, reverse weed, pulling the letters out, leaving only the wax paper where the letters were...

Put some cardboard down on the work table, use a few shortened and sharpened studs as was mentioned, take the letters and punch the holes through the backing.

What I like better about it is the vinyl remaining on the rest of the pattern makes it a lot stronger and more tear resistant than the paper patterns from Gemini.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks Wayne and Jon - - you guys (cumulatively) are the best!!

Have an awesome weekend.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto's what everyone said,

except to add; if ya don't get a can of air or don't wanna fool with having yet another item to deal with, just hold the drill motor up to the hole sideways and blow the dust out with that . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSfSxusM3Po

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!