Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Setup, work etc...GWTA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Setup, work etc...GWTA
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past weekend Jeff Crank came up from Redding to help me pinstripe at the GWTA Oregon State Gold Wing Rally which is considered by others that the TA stands for tight-ass so many would not consider striping there. Those putting the rally together practically begged me to be there guaranteed without fee's. Setup was Friday night and by Saturday morning we were ready to go and we got there at 11am. From the first hour, business was booming and our prices didn't seem to bother anyone. I had Jeff take over and I took the job of prep, design and color mixing to match work done by others where-as persons wanted names, cartoons etc.
Throughout the day it never stopped yet we were both sweating profusely. I don't think one person who was there hadn't stopped in to get something done and it was I who couldn't keep up. All the twisting and turning made me realize why I didn't want to do running bikes anymore. We were given an indoor place to work until the park rangers complained and so we stopped at 7pm Today is the last day and we'll be back there by 9am with a EZ-up to continue on a few more bikes.

Bottom line is that we done great and if it weren't for Jeff Crank, I'd of been DOA from heart problems. I can long longer do this kind of work and the next five vehicles I have lined up here at my home shop will probably be the last as I will no longer be a contortionist as I am way to old for this kind'a stuff, but it was fun while it lasted. I been doing this kind of work since 1952.

Now I've got to make breakfast for us and than get to the rally.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya' Joey. Gettin' old is a PITA, but being around young folks at a meet helps to improve the spirits. It's like the feeling of euphoria after a good letterhead- type get together...it's invigorating...

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I appreciate your insight and experience here. I want to be a striper someday. That is, if I my aging body doesn't fall apart before I get good at it!

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting old ain't for sissies!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Si Allen:
Getting old ain't for sissies!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Like there's a choice in the matter!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working Rally's ...On a personal note, I would
always make sure that some kind of morgue would
be handy for reference. A bag of tricks so to
speak. Never knowing what a person would want and
being able to contrive something that is in their
head is too much trouble.
I just liked to have plenty of scraps of ideas to
show and let them select an idea. Portfolio's of
past work is good but having some clipart around
really helps.
The striping then becomes second nature and
where the cash flows easier.
Today I am just not in the game and have had my
day, so quiet walks on a windy beach take over.

Jack
541-270-5515

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love to see some photos Joey, ever though about getting a lift? Might help?

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops!

[ August 23, 2009, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: jack wills ]

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is Sunday afternoon, Jeff left my place going south and now I've called my Monday and Wednesday's appointments and rescheduled for Wednesday and Friday and my weekend's work is still in place. God help me, I no longer want to stripe running motorcycles.

I did Laconia for years when I was very young and Daytona during the 70's and 80's. Did small hometown bike meets and traveled throughout this country and Canada and did whatever I had to. Now I am no longer young and have no need to put my health into my own trick bag.

I am truly more comfortable laying out lines where I don't have to become a contortionist and doing this on vehicles with four wheels lends the opportunity, at least till my leaded paint runs out.

Neil, I have a bike lift but no longer have strength that I had even last year and very much dislike a sitting position when working, unless its sheet metal at the table in my art room where climate control is at my fingertips.

Jack, they loved us and they treated us like kings. All the hoopla of the portfolios meant nothing as soon as the brush hit the substrate. Everyone was either sitting and watching or standing around asking questions. And Jack, guess where next year's state rally is going to be held?
You guessed it, Newport Oregon where you will be painting on an easel, a panel for me just like this one here [Rolling On The Floor]
 -

--------------------

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

WTF where can I find some real lettering color ?
BTW I have no clue where this place would host an
event. Maybe the fairgrounds.

Jack
541-270-5515

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

oh no, not the fairgrounds. More then likely be an ocean park and camping area for tents and motorhomes. They probably already rented the spaces necessary to carry on their adventure

--------------------

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! They will love Jack's quips and one liners!

[ August 24, 2009, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that picture from a few years ago- great fish!

Joey, an old coachpainter I talked to in the 80s told me when he was fed up with being a contortionist, he told people they had to pull the vehicle apart & bring him the pieces to stripe. So that's what they did, till he stopped doing it altogether.
I guess with a bike, that's maybe not as easy, but it is a possible option.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a good time! I hear ya on the getting old part. I don't have any trouble getting down on the ground to do the side of the bags..................................getting back up [Rolling On The Floor]

edited to add. I did burn my knee five times on a Sportster last bike night.

After watching Cobra work up in Kentucky, we bought a simple stand to hold the Harley's up straight. The lifts are just too cumbersome.

Gold Wings....they are a different group for sure but they do love striping and like you said, price doesn't seem to factor into it. The best we have done so far this summer was at a Gold Wing event.

Now lets see some pictures of the striping!

[ August 24, 2009, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: George Perkins ]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

I was home Sunday afternoon at around 2pm when the first three bikes pulled into my driveway and that's when I realized it weren't over. My shop/barn has a spraybooth where they helped me clean a big enough spot where I could use the bike lift if needed and get around the bikes. I stopped six hours later with a hefty amount of cash. Thought about Jeff a couple times but he already had gone south, so I figure WTF he who hesitates is lost and at least all my tools are in one place.

Ian, since 1989 I only do sheet metal, but this was a rally I had set-up myself and registered for two months ago and all the bikes are together and ridden. I still do sheet metal occasionally, but my love is cars and trucks.
 -  -

George, I got arthritis, heart problems and tire very quickly and as far as photos, I took one of myself and doggie recently and sent them to a friend.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!