Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Hand Lettering?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand Lettering?
Buddy Norris
Resident

Member # 49

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Buddy Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Buddy Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished doing some hand lettering on a truck door. Its been about 5 years since I lettered. Oh My God...does it ever come back. I'm vinyl spoiled. I won't give it up. I lettered about 25 years free hand and I know its in there somewhere. It wasn't a total disaster, I mean it looked OK, but it sure wasn't my best. Maybe I'm asking too much now that I'm older and my hands shake a little. It was fine like I said but it wasn't my best. who am I trying to fool...you or me. If it wasn't my best it wasn't good enough. Thats why I started over. all I'm using is a simple brush script and some one stroke little letters. [Confused]

[ August 23, 2009, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Buddy Norris ]

--------------------
Norris Sign Works
102 Doogle Lane
Shallotte, N.C.

Posts: 117 | From: Shallotte, N.C. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...fun ain't it? I like to think of my sloppy lettering as being 'shabby chic'.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes when I haven't hand lettering in a while, the night before, I whips out a quill and do a a few strokes. Think of it like when musicians warm up before a gig. Jus gotta warm up.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3816 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like riding a bicycle....a little wobbly after a long layoff....but it soon come back !

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Funny how you never loose 'it'. The guy who I was an apprentice too would have a really shakey hand as he got older, until he picked up a signwriting brush then as if by magic the shake stopped and the paint flowed !! We are so lucky to have these fabulous skills and that we can make a living pushing paint !!

Brian.
www.brianthebrushuk.com

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be some kind of addict... I honestly don't know how someone who CAN hand letter can stand not doing so for very long. I look forward to jobs that come in the shop that give me an option to hand letter. Often I do that on "quickie" signs, especially ones that can be done on alubond or something else that doesn't need much prep, or on vehicles or boats.

On quite a few jobs I use the plotter to make patterns; this way I can do a fairly complex design that can be re-created as a logo for other uses, but the sign is still hand-lettered.
Some years ago I bought a used 30" plotter that couples up with my old 4b - the 4b cuts vynull but the big plotter is exclusively for pounce patterns. This allows me to avoid the tedious work of laying out copy and making patterns by hand, but I still get to do the brushwork.

Brushwork also gives me infinite color options without having to stock a lot of vynull, especially in colors I don't use as much.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Brushwork also gives me infinite color options without having to stock a lot of vynull, especially in colors I don't use as much."

Amen to that. Trying to find that "just right" shade in vinyl is an effort in frustration.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People used to ask me how I had such a steady hand. I always told them, it wasn't the hand...it was steady eyes. You got to see it, before you can paint it.

Buddy, you can get back in the groove...just keep making the effort. It's worth something to keep your brush wet.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff,
You are right about seeing it. I hand letter full time and use very little vinyl. 160,000 windshields later, it really is about seeing or imagining where it is going. Try doing large scale showrrom windows with a 9" roller in script or even a respectable thick thin serif. Whether it is with a tiny quill or a big roller, it is all still about seeing the letters.

I have been experimenting with using one shot lettering with hardener on aluminum panels to do my Kansas landscapes. Using some dry brush techniques and some line work with the quills has become very interesting. Modeling one shot has always been a tricky event, but gradually, I am getting the hang of it.

People ask me how I learned how to hand letter. I tell them it just takes persistence and practise. It amazes me how this has become such a lost art. Sure, vinyl and computers do marvelous and tight work, but a beautiful hand lettered sign still grabs my eyeballs.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the lot of them as that hand lettering is where it's at without scrap and the plotter was made for masks [Smile]

Buddy, you must'a been trying too hard. Just go with the flow [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just lettered a 40' wall and my hands hurt!

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nanner nanner..... David is an old sissy!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too true.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My arm is killing me after two 8x16 logos on stucco walls...out of shape for the large stuff.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
warming up for a glass gold job...trimmed a Handover to do thinner outlining...Decor Black...matte centres....
"you never forget how to fall off a bike..."
[Cool]

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever stop to think that as there are less people who can hand letter, the demand will grow and the price should grow with it. Don't give it up.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week Megan and I were up on a plank lettering a stucco wall, and I leaned her way and whispered my thought..."I wonder how much I'd pay them to let me have this much fun?"

I think that is how it should be when we're doing our right livelihood.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6716 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Johnson
Visitor
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the Doctor says " Use it or loose it" Keep on paintin'!

--------------------
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson Grafix
Blairstown, NJ
[URL=http://www.alanjohnsongrafix.com]

Posts: 261 | From: Blairstown, NJ | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!