Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Horse magic - right outside my window

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Horse magic - right outside my window
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the many things we do at our place is rescue miniature horses. Janis & Rebecca rescue small horses who through neglect or ingnorance have a tough go in life. The horses we get all need attention of some kind, some are in good health - others are deplorable. They nurse them back to health, train them as best we can and then adopt them out to good homes. The horses have been numerous and the results have been amazing. http://www.pipsqueakpaddocks.com/

A few weeks ago we got a couple of ponies. They were taken to the auction, but there were no takers. We got the call to rescue them from an uncertain fate. We had no history of the horses. They were wild, wilder than any we had housed before. They didn't like anyone even close to them. After a while, however their curiosity got the best of them and they started following Bec around when she was in the paddock doing chores. They started taking hay, albeit very guardedly from our hands when offered although they were still pretty spooky. In the weeks we have had them progress was slow at best. It was time to bring in an expert.

Bec made an aquaintance of world renowed natural horseman Jonathan Field www.jonathanfield.net who lives in the next town from us. He routinely works with difficult horses, not breaking them but instead in a very short time he has them wanting to interact with him. He came over today to work with our two horses.

I'm not much of a horse guy personally but I took the time to watch him work with these two horses and I was absolutely amazed with what I witnessed.

In a couple of hours of very gentle but firm work with these horses he had them wanting to be handled. The horse who hated to be even touched a few hours previously was nuzzling him and begging to be stroked when he was done. While there is still a LOT of work to be done, by Bec and Janis, here at our little paddocks I suddenly see a lot of potential in horses I thought would take forever to make even a little progress with.

I witnessed passion at its best today... but not with paint and a brush or the things we like so much. This man loved and knew horses. He had taken a lifetime to learn and indeed master his craft. He worked tirelessly at what he loved and it was a pleasure to watch. Like everyone who is so good at what they do he made it look effortless, although I definitely knew better.

I stand amazed in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ August 19, 2009, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we went up to Mike Meyer's meet in Mazeppa we stayed at a minature pony farm. http://bearvalleyminiatures.virtualave.net/id18.html
Great people! And while we were there we got to witness a foal being born (on the closed circuit TV). They are such sweet, gentle animals. The Budensieks also had belgium horses and used them to farm with. What a treat to see both ends of the size spectrum!!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bec Bermudez   Author's Homepage   Email Bec Bermudez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it has stuck. I was able to walk up to Rufio this morning, put a halter on him and lead him around. He is still jumpy, but is liking the concept of scritches and pets!

Here are pics from last night. I have always been a huge fan of Natural Horsemanship and have started three full-size horses under saddle this way. It was VERY cool to see a pro at work though! Whole different ballgame!

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Bec "Phoebe's Mom" Bermudez
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, BC

Posts: 103 | From: Yarrow, BC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing pictures, considering Dan's story. It is indeed a pure pleasure to watch a pro at work, no matter what kind of work he or she does. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1962 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horses, dogs, cats, birds....all will react in a similar manner.

If you approach in a non threatening manner, but look like you are in charge (See Bec's 1st picture) then act like you want to be friends...it is easy.

I am no expert, but that system works for me.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's more to it than simply by being kind. There's a horse language procedure you must know before it works.

I'd have to lunge my horse before riding to get out all the knots. She'd buck and fuss and try and charge me. By the end of her session, (you have to work them until they cooperate with you, you cannot give up), she would follow me around like a lost puppy needing love. And rode like a dream.

Indeed these two little minis had behaviour issues from the past that only an expert could no doubt plow through. But when you know the motions of what works, only then does it really work. It is weird! When I was told how to lunge and just do it, I thought no way. But even just my little crash course worked on her like I'd done it for years. Imagine what someone could have done really knowing their stuff!

Great success story!!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bec Bermudez   Author's Homepage   Email Bec Bermudez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It gets even better!

Sable, the one he didn't have as much time with, was invited up to Jonathan's place. We dropped him off today and they said they'd call us when he was ready to go... however long that takes! All of this is being done on donation! That is just so awesome for our little organization!

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Posts: 103 | From: Yarrow, BC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A real "horse-whisperer".........is this a learned skill or is he born with a natural gift?

btw, thanks for the pics - amazing.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

You know Sonny... I think that it is a natural talent that gets developed. I've seen a lot of people try to do it who just don't get it. They don't have that "intuition" when it comes to animals and body language. You can learn some techniques, just like with painting... but not everyone is an "artist".

There are a lot of NH gurus around, and I'm sure even more folks who are good at it, but don't have the showmanship or charisma to make a career of it.

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that work with people?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

I'm quite sure it does Raymond! A lot of wives were born with a gift, but nobody has thought yet to market "Husband-Whisperer" workshops. LOL

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried lunging my wife this morning and got slapped down.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Husband-Whispering" is a secret society - shshh!

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

It's hard to believe that less than a week ago, I could not catch this pony!

-

May I just say again, JONATHAN FIELD ROCKS! [Big Grin]

Just thought I'd share this fun picture from today. Rufio will now allow me to catch him AND just walk up to him in the Paddock for scritches. I combed his crazy mane and forelock and cut a bridle path too! :thumbsup:

-

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should your Johnathan Field hero ever pay a personal visit again, I'd love to peek in and watch!

The shop actually makes an amazing background for these little guys. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!