Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » There IS life after signs!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There IS life after signs!
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Folks!!

I'm just checking up on y'all and am so sorry to hear that so many of you are struggling right now.
Seems like its a combination of the constant struggle to keep prices high enough to survive, and the wicked downturn in the economy over the last year.

As most of you know, I sold my business two years ago. I stayed "retired" for over a year before looking for other work. I wasn't positive what I was going to do when I sold the business, but knew I needed a change. I faced many of the same struggles that seem to be universal in the signworld. Working long hours, putting too much emotional energy into creating "that perfect layout" for customers who may or may not have appreciated it, brought in lots of money, and paid out lots of money to keep my business running. After almost 10 years of the same, It was a hard decision to make that step.

There is something special about making a living doing something "creative" and most of us in this business are artists of different shapes and forms. It is a very hard thing to let go of, but a person can be creative in so many different ways.

Now, I am in no way suggesting anyone should bail, I just want to give you some encouragement and let you know there is a life after signs! [Smile] In my case, I applied for a government job and was happy to be accepted and spent 11 weeks away at a training center. I now have a great paying job with a good pension and will soon be working three days a week (13hr shifts). I will have plenty of time to still be creative, and the pressure "to get the work out the door" is gone.

I really miss the sign meets and seeing all you guys, thank god for Letterville and the chance to keep up to date on you guys. I have also met many new friends during training and my new line of work, so life continues to be good [Smile]

Hang in there my friends.
:)Suelynn

[ August 06, 2009, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Suelynn Sedor ]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post!
thanks

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good words Suelynn. There is life after any change of career.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to hear from you Sue.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is great News and a Timely post.. also it's nice to hear from you as well.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Linnie, I'm so happy your new career is going well. Did they give you a gun yet?

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are doing well Linnie!

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so what kinda work is you doin for da guv?

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think of you a lot, Linnie, and I am happy to hear you are doing so well.
Every time I want to quit the sign biz more work pours in.
[Smile]
Take care.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great hearing from you! Keep in touch!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
howdy!

you so made the right decision girl!! if someone wanted to pay me $80k for my business i'd be gone in a flash!
glad you are doing well...but i know that cause i talk and text ya! lol

chat soon!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Suelynn! You go girl! [Smile]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! So nice to hear from everyone!

Harris, I work for the Canadian Border Services (Customs) at the border. I work in a nice quiet little port near my home, so most days are pretty stress free!

Duncan, I don't have a gun YET! Ha ha but I will someday. I do have my aquisition license and had to take the restricted and non-restricted firearms courses. The arming inititive is going on now, but they have at least five years to complete it, so I prob won't be any time soon.
(gotta keep out those crazies tryin to smuggle their guns into canada...right rickie??? ha ha ha)

Anyway, it is a big stretch from what I was doing before, and I my age all the training was a bit of a challenge, but I am very stubborn! ha ha
So I am living proof that anything is possible!!

Jilly and all, I think of you too and glad you are doing well.

Luv,
Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So good to know that you are enjoying what you 're doing, and with no regrets. Same here. I'm still catching up with a few signs after officially closing on July 31, but another two or three weeks and I'm outta here. It's great to keep good memories, but as my pastor once told me, you can't walk forward while looking back. That has always stuck with me. Glad you're watching out for the guys with the guns, Linnie, makes me feel so safe... [Razz]

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1964 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Suelynn great to hear your enjoying you new job [Smile]

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2376 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Suelynn..yer right, there IS life after signs!!! [Rolling On The Floor]

I have no idea which border crossing you might be at...But if we cross into Canada thru it...We'll be sure to give you a big wave. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Congrats on a successful career change and enjoy the benefits that go with a government job!!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is definitely life after signs it took major health problems to make me stop. I am now sitting in the annex of my caravan listening to the ocean with a beer and prawns could not be happier and healther no stress

--------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Retired 3 Panorama Drive
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your troubles be little ones.
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything.

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suelynn, congrats on finding a good place for yourself! If you're happy, that's all that matters.

I too have yearnings towards doing something completely different with my life. There are so many things I've never done that may sound mundane to others.

I wish there was this magical place on earth where you could sign up and try many different trades in the coarse of an alotted time. That would be a great invention... hmmm...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Suelynn on making the change over to something else.

I am doing the same (back to engineering for the past 1.5 yrs) however I have NOT stopping making signs. I love the sign biz so am continuing to do it on the side. I just designed some beautiful bronze plaques for the neighborhood park, great banner for the forest lookout association and a few other jobs are on the docket because I don't want to forget the fun creative side of life. I'm also now able to pick up the pin striping brushes and practice more as I really want to learn that craft in a good way :-)

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!! Suelynn Sedor working for the government?!? And stay sit all day asking stupid questions?!? That won't be for long, bet are starting now I guess 1½ years is the maximum you stay there before switching to something more exciting! Meanwhile, good luck in your new job! Have fun!

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Suelynn. I'm glad you're pleased with your career choice. I truly hope you enjoy the job with your government; I'd NEVER work for THIS government, under any circumstances.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!