Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I've changed my opinion of FedEx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've changed my opinion of FedEx
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back there was a thread regarding FedEx ... I think Chris Welker might have started it.

At the time, I noted that I had pretty good experience with both FedEx and UPS.

That was then..... this is now.

The last two packages I received from FedEx were bashed in almost beyond belief...they looked like the billows on an accordion.

One of the packages...I declined - then reordered my computer parts with UPS as the shipper.

The UPS package came in and it looked crisp and neat like it usually does...

Coincidence? Maybe... but I'm probably going to stick with UPS from now on...seems like overall they are becoming my favorite shipper.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't compare; hardly anyone ever sends me anything by FedEx. One of my first negative experiences with UPS was 20 years ago when they gored a hole in a polycarb blank. Over the years they've bashed and gouged some packages, but that seemed to end about 2 years ago.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder how many billion packages they ship each year?

I'm thinking enough that I'll probably be looking for a higher statistical sample before making my decision [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Todd, I don't think any of them are worth a flip. I was a UPS fan at the time of that thread, I believe. But I recently had an experience that has me almost willing to drive myself to get my packages, instead of using UPS.

I ordered 6 sign frames that I needed for a rush job (customer ordered Tuesday afternoon)... I ordered them on Wednesday, and needed them by the weekend, so put 2nd day air shipping on them for an additional $400. Overnight would have been $900 extra... These frames came with a base and a top part... bundled separately in 2 similar shaped boxes.

So Thursday (after they shipped Wednesday), I track the packages. I was alarmed when I saw one box was sitting in Memphis, TN and the other in Jacksonville, FL. Why they went different directions is beyond me. What really alarmed me was the one in Jacksonville was now showing (DELAYED) in the tracking.

I called UPS and they couldn't tell me WHY it was delayed, but said "Don't worry until it doesn't show up..."

In the morning, sure enough, the bases show up, but not the frames... I call UPS and get their customer service... for some reason their computers are STILL showing it at Jacksonville, but they're not sure why. He says about 5 times, "Sir, what you are seeing on your tracking is the same info I have, I'm sure you'll have it Monday..." I keep telling him I paid $400 extra to have it shipped 2nd day, and I HAVE to have it... he doesn't care. I demand a manager, same story from manager, but she says she'll check on it and call me back.

She doesn't... a couple hours later, I call back and demand a manager right off the bat. "Sorry, I have to try to help you first.." I go through the same scenario... it'll be there Monday... THAT WON'T WORK... we don't have any info... WELL FREAKIN GET ME SOME... we're sorry, that's all we have... GET ME A MANAGER.

I chew on this manager, demanding Saturday delivery, since it's their mistake. We can't do that... it'd be extra money. IT'S YOUR MISTAKE. Yeah, but you didn't pay for Saturday delivery. IT'S YOUR SCREW-UP... etc. etc. He finally says he'll do it, and call it in to Jacksonville. I'll have it Saturday.

Later in the afternoon, I call back to make SURE they are sending it Saturday delivery. Again, first through the dumb little people, until they'll finally put me through to the manager. The other guy I talked to is gone for the day, and this manager can find no evidence that he ordered a Saturday delivery. Also, since it's now after 5:00pm in Jacksonville, the people are gone from the offices there and he can't find anyone who knows anything about it in the terminal.

"We're not showing that you're going to get it Saturday." Well, after spending half a day on the phone, I blow up and tell this manager I've spent half the day on the phone getting the run-around and I know he doesn't care, but it's the last time I'll ever ship or receive a package UPS.

So in the end, Saturday they didn't show up. I had to go buy a bunch of 2x4's and build some temporary frames for my customer's weekend deal, much to my and their displeasure. UPS is trying not to refund my full shipping amount, since they DID get ONE box to me... which did no good.

So I'm still mad about:

1. Their epic screw-up on what should have been a simple shipment.
2. Their total lack of concern and horrible customer service.
3. Being straight out lied to.

[ July 24, 2009, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I truly believe its the area of the country which determines how the packages are handled, but yet a bummed out worker can spoil the day for many no matter where they work.

And I'm serious

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Joey is right, so much depends on the people doing the job...
I had a printer part shipped overnight/Saturday morning delivery, by Fedex since the place in Texas swore by them, well now they're swearing at them,driver claimed he couldn't find our shop on Saturday,two blocks from their depot,their trucks are here twice a day! So Monday after talking to the 800# people the package still hadn't shown up at 5:30! I finally picked it up myself on Tuesday.
UPS is great around here.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Doug - hehehe
I'll create a spread sheet and track the next 1000 packages I receive, categorize the extent of damages between carriers; create monthly pie-charts and then determine my next course of action. Oh my! I may have just been sarcastic?! [Wink]

I'm sure there are a lot of variables that may influence the condition of a package as it arrives at it's final destination.... and enough varied stories dealing with all carriers to make you just want to shrug your shoulders.

We'll see how it goes...

Sorry to hear of your story Jon... crazy, huh?

[ July 24, 2009, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, that sounds so familiar! Exactly my experience with UPS, and that practically every single time I have anything to do with them. I would never choose them, but there are so many companies that will not ship anything, except by UPS. Something makes me think UPS has grown too big and they are losing control...

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1962 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, I've bought several items online from TigerDirect in the last few years. They use UPS. I haven't received a single package that had even the slightest dent.

BUT..As with everything...just when it matters...something will be screwed up or damaged!!!

In my experience in the past...I always prefered UPS over FedEx here in Canada. And our local FedEx guy is a personal friend!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember the last time I had major damage from either one although I notice that FedEx packages have a crushed corner once in a while, BUT, the last 2 FedEx packages I've gotten had a layer of dust on them so thick you'd think they were sitting in a warehouse for 10 years. I still can't figure that one out unless the truck has a leak in it and it's sucking in road dust.

But I agree with Joey, depends on how the individual offices are run.

Oh, and by the way, I have everything shipped here. No sign supplier within 300 miles so everything I buy gets shipped. But don't get me started on freight companies. All my sheet goods have to come by common carrier. It's rare when there isn't damage on those items.

[ July 24, 2009, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my stuff all gets shipped, often by multiple carriers on the larger "pallet orders"... but I have UPS deliveries almost every other week for the last 10 years, with almost no problems that I can recall.

I did have a string of scroll brackets, shipped UPS from Grimco, that had washers welded on as connection points for the sign. These managed to cut themselves through the box & get damaged or broken off on about 3 out of 4 attempts in the course of a 6 or 8 month period. Grimco was quick to replace them with no trouble (other then the replacements being similarly damaged a time or two)

I finally told them to send me 2 at once & have 2 more ready if they weren't willing take my advice & wrap cardboard around the offending washers.

I can also give FedEx credit for their handling of an overnight shipment of my Gerber Edge when I had the head replaced. The freight was $500, but it was late, so I didn't have to pay anything.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so true! i have all 3 damage items , UPS-FEDEX- USPS. and god forbid you take out insurance and then have to claim on it. it comes down to people handling your items and throwing them around. sometimes i get a ding but sometimes it look like the package was run over, backed up and ran over again.

and as far as daves post...
BUT..As with everything...just when it matters...something will be screwed up or damaged!

ordered 5 tubes of weld-on 45 from CA, supposed to reach me in 4-5 days. IF they would have gotten here I could have put up this particular sign when I told customer I would.

stuff left CA, went to NM, TX, back to CA, then str8 to TX then to me...10 DAYS LATER, I get it. I dont normally order this stuff at last minute but what a shame none of my suppliers around me could have gotten it quicker

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used all three Fed Ex, UPS and USPS.

My favorite for years was UPS. This goes along in regards to what Joey said. We had the same driver in this area for years. You could set your watch by him...10:15-10:30 without fail. When he was on vacation, the gal subbing for him was just as good. Nowadays it's different drivers ALL the time. The package might arrive anywhere between 11-6. Not good when you run a mobile service [Roll Eyes]

The other two services never have had consistent schedules.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more times than not, the shipper just didn't package the item properly.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Order of preferance. . . .(1) USPS (2) UPS would NEVER use FedEx.

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
more times than not, the shipper just didn't package the item properly.
That's usually been the case when I get damaged product.

Sometimes, the packaging is a bit of overkill. Canon recently sent me some replacement screws for my camera encased in such a way that the most incompetent employee from any shipper couldn't hurt it.

-

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was me that started the hating fedex thread. It does come down to the local people with all the companies. UPS people here are great. I still get waved at by the UPS guy that was the usual sub on my route during vacations and has been on his own route for 5 years now.

For fedex, fortunately they got rid of Pigpen. That's what others in town called him... boxes he delivered were so so filthy you couldn't touch them if wearing light colored clothing... then use of that nickname expanded in town. Pigpen was the ass driver that got himself stuck in my driveway causing a lot of damage due to his own stupidity.
Unfortunately, everyone else that works there & his replacement are a can shy of a 6pack. My printing company sent cards via fedex. Somehow they were delayed along the way (add 1 day to delivery). Customer wasn't happy, I wasn't happy. So I eagerly wait for them to show up next day.... only to be rescheduled because the driver couldn't find my shop. Granted, we had to name our shared driveway (10+ years ago) and thus the name isn't well known. However, unless he was using a map from 1995, it's on there! And I am the ONLY signshop on our driveway, with 3 signs pointing him in the right direction. I was in the shop when I heard the truck pull in. After a couple minutes, I walk outside. The box is addressed to Wildfire Signs. There is a sign pointing to the shop door that says SIGNSHOP. And he is walking around my HOUSE trying to figure out which door to go to.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Joey says, any organization can and will be f*cked up by one brain-dead employee having a bad day.

For the first twelve years of my shop being here, we had a drunken moron mailman. [Mad] This sh*theel could screw up a two-car funeral. He would spend a few hours every day at the local VFW with his truck hidden around back; then stagger back out to finish his route, sort of. Mail was routinely misplaced, dropped in the snow or mud, or left on the floor of his truck - I would occasionally get mail three or four months late, crumpled and mashed and filthy with muddy footprints. I quickly learned to NEVER send anything out, through him; always, always taking my outgoing mail to the post office myself.

Every summer he took two weeks vacation. Ahhh... mail would arrive by 2pm instead of 6 or later, in the correct box, not mangled... but he always came back to the job, and service went straight to sh*t again. [Bash]

Did I complain? Early and often, believe me... [Frown] until, after being ignored, condescended and lied to, they ran out of excuses and sent me to the assistant regional postal supervisor, who sadly explained that this flap-jawed goober was a career Navy veteran (I shudder to think that this ass-clown garden slug helped defend our country) who owed his postal job to our local congressman, and was thus immune to any sort of disciplinary or remedial action. [Razz] [Bash] [I Don t Know]

He retired, or died, or something, about six years ago. The statistics on public satisfaction with the USPS immediately went up by at least two points nationally. [Applause]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever met any of the guys that load and unload UPS trucks? They're not exactly what I'd call kind, caring individuals.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband worked at 4 a.m. loading UPS trucks for a while when he couldn't find any other work. They have to process a certain number of packages per hour to keep their jobs and this number is ridiculously high. As a result, they don't care if they are throwing the stuff, fragile or not. He said you wouldn't believe how they handle some of the packages. It's back breaking work and even though they make a bit more than minimum wage the turnover rate for employees is very high. Very rarely will they stay much longer than a few months. They have to work in that position for almost three years before they can even apply to become a driver or move anywhere else within the company, at least in our area. The only good thing is it's part-time (4 hrs. day) and they get full benefits.

We always go wayyyyy over kill on packaging when shipping anything.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!