Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Do you carry this stuff called coroplast or plasticore???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you carry this stuff called coroplast or plasticore???
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you get these calls but I get them once in a while. "Do you carry this stuff called coroplast or plasticore?" (This is on a Sunday no less!)

I got another today and asked if the guy needed it for a hamster or gerbil cage or something and he said yes. [Roll Eyes] I told him that although I do have some odd pieces sitting around I typically just order what I need from my wholesale supplier and that most sign shops are not really in the market to sell their supplies to the consumer. Also it might not be as cheap as you think and maybe to run over to Lowes or Hodepot and find something inexpensive to use.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I wish whoever has put the "just go to a sign shop and get this stuff for cheap or next to nothing" would take it off their blog or website.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, In this day and age it is more than just consumers wanting what you have at free or next to nothing prices. Whether it be some hobbyist for their project or someone breaking into to this business it is their intention and motive to do it as cheap as possible and that's why I post things the way I do, cause I see it everyday.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sell blank banners & blank magnetic scraps for $20 cash about every month these days. I won't waste more than 5 minutes on it, but I try to be civil & have had repeat business doing this. I sold a scratched up half sheet of Coro for $20 last week... that's 400% mark-up, and I swear that scrap has been around over 2 years... in fact, it came free as a protective material on a pallet order, so that's far better than 400%!

Make lemonade guys... and order more coro if it happens that often!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got it right Doug! When the economy went kablooie this year, I decided to keep extra sheets of coro for the hamster folks. They're nice enough people, might even need a sign someday. But I'm short & simple about the price- $20 and it might not be my nicest sheet.

[ July 19, 2009, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Frank Smith ]

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dittos to what Doug said.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Harvey
Visitor
Member # 6580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Harvey   Email Jonathan Harvey       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around here $15 for what ever color I have laying around 4x4! Alot of the time it's got a crushed corner or just old stuff I've taken down from and advertising marquee in town. One mans trash is one mans treasure. I'm always taken the garage door installers cardboard from next door does great for patterns. Plus these people that come in could have connections, so be nice and polite and who knows it might score you the job of a life time.

--------------------
Jonathan Harvey
Harvey's Signs and Designs
214 N. Main Newton,KS 67114
316-283-2424
(no telemarketers)

Posts: 63 | From: Newton, KS | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like Frank does, it's easy money. One of the guinea pig websites (cavycages.com) has a section where people can post where they have found sign shops to get coro.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha.... thanks for that link, Dana. It's interesting how so many people are in their own little world.

So.. in one of these alternate realities.. here's the thread that matches the one we have going here.... Sign People's Reaction to Coroplast Requests

And, like some of the responses here, it's funny to see how they picked up on the fact that some cranky old signmakers take offense to selling them raw sign materials to use for a cage...

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think with more stuff like this Cricut thing hitting the market the simple stuff is going to become do-it-yourself (or at least people will think they can). I am focusing more on selling our custom capabilities. I think with this economy, the industry may break into 2 factions, pure custom shops and the newer vinyl shops may become more like Kinkos over time. Don't know if any of this will happen, but my gut tells me thats where its heading.

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen M Stanley
Resident

Member # 7178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen M Stanley   Email Karen M Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does a hamster do with corplast???

--------------------
Karen Stanley
Signs & Wonders
Amherst, VA

Posts: 136 | From: Amherst, VA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cage liner. Go to the link in my post above and you will see it completed and also directions on how to cut and build it.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sold two sheets of 4mm black to line the exterior of a fish shanty. Two sheets $24.00 each.

I figured I have done the research and I know where to get it,... they either take it or leave me alone.

The good lord sent them to me,..and I took them in. [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a dude come in here and wanted some of that that plastic stuff for bee boxes...

I said HUH?

He said: for bee boxes...

I said HUH? [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

He said the stuff that looks like plastic cardboard...

After we made it to the same page I sold him like 20 4 x 8 sheets of black coro for $20 a sheet. I guess he is a bee keeper and uses it for something. I don't have any idea, but if he comes back I will sho nuff sell him some more.

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geez...old sign guys are cranky...wait that's me,
but I have no problem selling a piece of coro to some mom or dad making their kid a cage...at least they never want a discount cause they're going to bring me all their guinea pig work...

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr155/Frank_Sm1th/DSCF1656.jpg
Here's what some engineering students did with the coroplast I sold them.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Smith:
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr155/Frank_Sm1th/DSCF1656.jpg
Here's what some engineering students did with the coroplast I sold them.

Any idea what it is?

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get farmers coming in looking for 8 or 10 sheets of black coro to tie on to the fingers of their combine (the white is too reflective and hard to look at for long hours). My husband figured out how to use it as battens for combining sunflowers. I charge them $22 a sheet and they have to go and pick it up themselves and it is charged to me. Thats how all the other farm parts places work. [Wink] As for scraps - $22 is my shop minimum, that's what it costs for anything to leave the premisis, be it a chunk of coro or a 2x4. That covers the time it takes me to be polite and visit and locate/cut whatever it is they need. If they are a good client or family or a close friend I might waive that, but for the most part I stick to my guns with that.
Works for me.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 2 coro requests last week. My first question: What are you going to do with it? 1st guy says he needs it to line the whelping pens for his wife's dogs. I say fine, I have a $55.00 minimum charge, how much do you need. He said a couple 4x8 sheets should do it. I said I thought that would about make the minimum, go to my trusty quoting software, and yup, 55 bucks will buy ya 2 sheets. Had them on hand, loaded them up and took his check.

2nd guy - I say what do you want to do with the coro? He says (in a surprised tone) Well I'm gonna make some signs. I say - I don't sell sign supplies. He left in a hurry. hahahaha

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!