Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Signgold on the outside of glass?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Signgold on the outside of glass?
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a customer opening a NICE jewelry store downtown and she wants to have Signgold or goldleaf on her front door. We have a great idea with etched look and golden name in the center. The problem with it is that SignGold (the burnished "chrome look" one) is only reverse cut on the interior of the glass. The front door/window has that wire mesh chicken wire stuff in the glass for security. They don't really want to replace the glass or the door. We thought about REAL gold leaf, and she would be fine with that, but again that is really usually done in reverse on the inside of the glass...ANY suggestions?

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a window a few years back with a home made version of Sign Gold. I scuffed the vinyl plotted it, applied 1 shot size and gilded and then weeded the excess. I allowed it to set up really well and applied it. I drove by it the other day and it still looks good. I'm not sure what you mean by "burnished chrome look" but if you can recreate it the surface of the vinyl you'll be good to go. Run a few tests with spray clears if you are concerned with scratching from cleaning.
Hope this gives you some ideas. Let us know your solution.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure but I don't think anybody makes anything in a vinyl without engine turning or swirls for surface use. You could do like Kelly suggests and make your own but I would just surface gild the glass itself and not have the worry of the vinyl breaking down. Just treat it like you would a truck door. I would clean the glass with Bon Ami though.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane, awhile back, here what I did for some firetrucks. No one had this...So I used high performance vinyl, I sized it, leafed it with veragated gold leaf, laminated it cut it, slapped it on the doors. I think you could do the same using patent gold leaf.

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The window at our studio has had SignGold on it for the past 15 years and still looks good. It is the spun version. Since the chrome look version is to be installed inside, I'm not sure about putting it on the outside.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's the problem Raymond. The back side or the mirror looking Signgold is black and the adhesive side that sticks to the inside of the window is the gold leaf. She wants it shiny, like a mirror. But then it has to be applied to the inside of the glass. Is there any mirror (chrome) gold that is available for EXTERIOR application. I know there is a gold chrome polyester film but is usually listed as a 2 year life or not recommended for exterior use. I know for a fact that it fades to silver after about a year....help!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if the "new" Lustregild is available from Signgold but that might work. I would prefer to surface gild. If you make it a two tone job on the surface the difference between a high burnish and the textured (spun or pattern) will make it look brighter. Also gild at the last possible moment and use loose leaf to enhance the luster. The cannot beat the real think for looks.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With real AG on the outside of the window, I'd be concerned what the result would be after the window washer ran his squeege over it a few times......ya might want to coat it with something.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember what it is called, but there is a polished gold vinyl that has a clear adhesive and is gold on both sides and rated for 7 years outdoors. When we drew the letters, we also added an inline. We cut the letters in the gold and applied them without the inline. We then cut the letters with the inline in a paint mask and registered this on the gold. Then we used some fine steel wool and scuffed the centers and removed the mask leaving us with a two tone burnished outline matt center vinyl job. This might be what you're looking for.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6716 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that sounds pretty snazzy Rick!
I hope you remember who sells that vinyl. Looks like a lot of us don't know about it yet.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't come up with Rick's shiny gold, just use the metalized polyester, shoot it with Frog Juice or One Shot clear, cut weed mask apply and tell the customer that they may get 2 to 4 years out of it. We did some logging trucks with the silver, coated it with One Shot clear. Still looked shiny after 4 years, but maybe gold would fade faster, I don't know.

The customer has to realize that sometimes they want the impossible.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.rtape.com/en/digital/efx_gallery

The good news is that the newer generation of Vinylefx® films feature several remarkable improvements, which should provide wary buyers with reason enough to give these products a second look. Fade-resistant colorants and UV inhibitors extend the outdoor life of our Durable series of films. Improved release liners greatly minimize tunneling during plotter cutting. And more forgiving adhesives make repositioning during graphics application much easier.

VinylEfx ® Features & Benefits

1. Compared to cold-embossed polyesters Vinylefx® films are hot-embossed, which produces deeper, better defined patterns.
2. Unlike polyesters, R Tape Vinylefx® are just as easy to cut, weed and apply as an intermediate vinyl.
3. Vinylefx® are printable using a variety of screen print inks, thermal transfer systems, and solvent and ecosolvent ink jet printers.
4. The Vinylefx® films can be computer-cut, steel rule die cut, thermal die cut, embossed and domed.
5. For demanding applications such as truck and boat graphics, the Vinylefx® Durable Series films provide a superior alternative to the expensive simulated gold-leaf films.

I have found the above to be true. Also, Cisco's method is the same way I do Fire Truck gold - and you can give it any kind of burnish, variations of gold (12K 16K 23K) and outline treatments.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barb, what do you and Francisco use for a laminate?
Do you cut it after leaf and laminate?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6716 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, what I did was laminate it after it's sized to the H.P. Vinyl. Then you can cut it to what letter or shape you wish.

--------------------
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Cisco, do you cut it on a plotter after applying the clear laminate?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Rick, yes. transfer tape it and apply. not sure you could do rough curves. I did flat doors

--------------------
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Well we tried to come up with a vinyl solution and we finally ended up talked her into regular gold metallic vinyl. She's fine with that.
It would be nice to have some gold work up town but Bill didn't want to gold leaf on her front door on one of the busiest corners in town and have to deal with gold flying around outside. If we could take the door off and do it here, he'd be up for it. Besides, he doesn't like to be a spectator sport! hehehe

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!