Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Pat & Ruth Welter and the little town that could

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pat & Ruth Welter and the little town that could
Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was privileged to witness an unexpected side to our business last night. I was visiting my friend & compatriot and his wife during the celebration of their community's 100th birthday.

It was interesting to see how one man's vision & talent could impact his community in such a positive way. He has helped shape the look, feel & class of this community with his talent and passion..(and the town recognized him for it).

He used his art (in the form of a mural) to show how the community lived and prospered even through it's failures. And during the recap of the citizens his murals & signage were highlighted.

What a difference this man Pat welter & his wife and partner Ruth have made not just here in this community of Unity, Saskatchewan, but also in my life and I'm sure many of yours too.

I felt blessed to be here to witness the celebrations and was humbled at the impact our business and art has on the world around us.

Thank you Pat & Ruth

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Cal,and so very true. [Smile]
I too am priviledged to call Pat and Ruth friends. They are true gems of the prairies who have definitely given Unity a golden touch!
Pat has been a wonderful mentor to me and Ruth is worth her weight in gold. [Smile]
Kel

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cal Trauter ??? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] ...is that YOU !!??!!

It must have been a extraordinary happening to get you to post !

Seriously, ditto what you said. Pat and Ruth are the greatest and if it wouldn't be for the size of this country, we could see more of one another. I'm glad for Pat, he deserves the spotlight!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez Brother Rene, Cal must have had an epiphany for him to post.
Unity is certainly a great little community touched everywhere by the hands of the Welters. Ruth and Pat are a perfect team.
After my first meet at Banff, where I was terrified to pick up a brush again, Pat and Ruth hosted the first Paint the Prairie Meet.
Highly talented people from across North America had gathered in small town Saskatchewan. Seeing mentors like Murray MacDonald, Bill Riedel and Mike Meyer effortlessly laying down one shot was inspiring, yet intimidating in my little brain.
 -
That feeling soon passed though. Kelly was painting an illustration on the back of the van project and she literally put a brush in my hand and said, "Dunc., I'm not much of a letterer, can you please finish this up for me." Holy Cwap, I said to myself, "What have I got myself into now?"
 -

-
The rest is history, I love getting the brushes out again and I do it at each and every meet I attend. I don't produce works of art, but I really enjoy it and it's a thrill when a nubie comes up and watches.
I owe it all to Pat and Ruth, whom I proudly call friends.

[ July 04, 2009, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago I had the pleasure of dropping in to a small gathering the Welters had at their place. As I drove the seemingly endless prairie road to their place I was amazed at just how remote the town of Unity was. It makes Yarrow look BIG!

I had to ask directions to Pat & Ruth's place for they live on an un-named road with no street address. It's OUT THERE!

And yet here they are selling the quality signs they do... plenty of gold leaf and very creative dimensional signs.

Better than all that Pat & Ruth are the very kindest folks I know... shining examples for all who come in contact with them.

To hear they pulled off a great mural and celebration honoring their little community is no surprise. In doing so they also honored our craft and all of us who create our art.

Congratulations !!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrat's Pat & Ruth.
I didn't know Cal could type!
Thanks for the old pics, Duncan. That was taken back when Bill Riedel was only 75.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 474 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat and Ruth...congratulations on your Community Recognition....Cal, nice to see you here, thanks for posting this news.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat and Ruth, you deserve all the recognition! I'm so glad I got to know you both, you personify the very best of Letterheads to me.

Cal, great to hear from you! That's a wonderful first post.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1962 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it looks like Cal can go more than 5 words at a post!! ;o)
he's much more talkative on the phone!!
Pat, I found a book on Van. Is. that should have your name in it...don't you love used book stores...soon to be in the Post...

don't let Cal get to big a Head out there in the Prairie... he's got to come back here and be Real in Summerland...funny name for a place that's freezing most of the year...( or, i'd like to think so... it's a beautiful place , i'm just jealous ...) Hi to Ruth... and...get ready for the NEXT 200 YEARS!!! ;o)

jb

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat and Ruth are very special people, what an experience to have been there at the Paint the Prairie meet. They are without a doubt, the nicest couple you could have the pleasure of meeting. There is no end to the amount of talent out there in the middle of nowhere. Proud to know them.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I say that hasn't already been said about Pat and Ruth? They're the best!

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of handsome guys. Pat had to dress in his tux, as the Centennial Celebration included the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan. Cal got to be himself.

-

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That last post was from Ruth, but I didn't know how to sign off of these new fandangle machines

From the Flying Raven

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!