Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Drive-by post . . . pretty busy w/just getting back and all . . .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drive-by post . . . pretty busy w/just getting back and all . . .
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan Sawatzky admitted that I won the 'Prank Wars' . . . but that's only because he's too darn nice of a guy to play rough . . .

I had him served with a Walldog Artist Restraining Order by the Chief of Police (will YouTube THAT video clip!!) . . . and had another on-duty Pontiac Police Officer steal all their water balloons that were intended for me and/or my mural team . . . (sorry, Noella . . . it wasn't anything against you . . .!!)

I had spies . . . (one of our well-known Letterville citizens lettered 'Jay Wins' in a 'watermark' all around one of the borders in the Butler/Sawatzky wall mural) . . . and even some willing participants from the community helping me stay 'one step ahead' . . .

THAT is what Dan and I schemed about for weeks . . . this was all somewhat 'coordinated' to allow the citizens of Pontiac - and the Walldogs - to 'play along' with us . . . that connected us all as another 'backstory' - even though there is no true rivalry . . . well, sort of. Right, Dan? [Wink]

I think it helped us forget some about the intense heat . . . all 4 days over 95 degrees . . . and irony of ironies . . . 15 degrees cooler with low humidity on the day we left . . . [Frown]

What a class act and amazing talent Dan Sawatzky is. Someone will surely post a photo of my '2nd Place' trophy - and Dan's Third Place 'sash' . . . I don't have any photos yet. Now that I've seen what he did, I'll do my best to top it . . . and then he will . . . and then I will . . .

Suffice it to say, Dan's 'message' is to always autograph your work with excellence . . . make NO MISTAKE about that. You'd have to know him to truly understand . . .

When I suggested I would keep his trophy 'alive' at future Walldog meets, he said 'No, that's for your office. 30 minutes after I finished it I had better ideas' . . .

We should all seek to push ourselves like Dan does.

R-e-s-p-e-c-t is spelled 'Grampa Dan' . . . a friend of mine - and Letterheads - for life . . .

You inspire me . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. - Here's an email from Ruth Schlosser at the Community Pantry . . . Letterheads made them a 3D sign (we still have to finish painting it) and raised food donations and cash at Sawatzky's wall and our wall . . . that's what I was referring to when I repeatedly said 'I'm busy - with many mouth's to feed' . . .

This is what Letterheads are all about . . . sharing:

Hi! I just wanted to report the totals for each site from the pantry donations to the Livingston County Community Pantry. First of all I want to thank you all so much for this great idea to raise food and monetary donations for our pantry. So many needy families will benefit from this weekend!

Ok, now for the numbers. The Allen site collected 274 pounds and the Sawatzky/Butler site raised 135 pounds of food (however I heard there was some stealing going around and also when the Sawatzky/Butler site closed early Thurs. night we took 4 cases of veggies and just put it with the Allen site).

The Allen site raised $42.50 and the Sawatzky/Butler site raised $111.25. So the totals were 409 pounds of food and $153.75. Awesome!!! The Board was thrilled with this donation!!!

On a personal note. I am overwhelmed by what I have seen happen in our town. The Walldogs have made our town a place of beauty...all the murals are so awesome and blow me away every time I drive by one. Thank all of you so much for changing the spirit in our town. We had been pretty low for a while with first the flood, then the almost closing of the prison, then with the closing and lay-offs going on. I see a different town because of all of you. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Love, Ruth Schlosser

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david butler
Merchant

Member # 591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david butler   Author's Homepage   Email david butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"say what"?

--------------------
david butler
butler signs
syracuse,indiana
david@davidbutler.com

Posts: 188 | From: syracuse,indiana,usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

I never realized just how ugly those shorts really are . . .

Or is it the dew rag? Or the chicken legs?

David . . . thanks again to you and Susie and Dan for helping the Community Pantry out. You're good people . . . but I already knew that.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jay....we've known that all along!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Jay is a tough guy. It takes real courage to stand out in public with legs like that.

Have you considered retiring the pink shorts? Especially now that you have admitted to what everyone has been telling you all these years.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Si . . . my life is a friggin' cartoon . . . maybe I should try something that won't allow so much ridicule . . .!! I may be giving Walldogs and 'Heads a bad name . . .

Early night for me tonight. I learned something last night, though . . . hot tubs and sunburn do NOT play well together.

Like being par boiled in acid . . . ouch. And I needed that hot tub last night . . . sigh . . .

Here's Dan's trophy for me . . . it ROCKS!! Check the shorts out. Vintage Sawatzk'eh . . . he's truly one of the best.

-

-

-

And here's Dan's 'sash' . . . placing me one spot above him . . . HEEHEEHEE . . . how'd I know what he was doing to "respond" properly?

Spies, baby, spies . . . and enough hints . . .

-

-

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Ray . . . that was BEFORE I got a sunburn . . . red goes MUCH better with pink.

Wish you'd have been there, Raymond. You'd have kicked it up one notch higher . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jay... That letter from Ruth kinda makes it all worthwhile doesn't it?

When I was growing up the general image of sign painters was that we were always the town drunk. It's really nice to see a new generation that has raised the bar and given so many folks a much different picture of who we are.

And that's because of some special folks like Jay and Dan....and the Diaz family....and the whole cast of characters that invaded Pontiac last week.

Congratulations on a job well done and for improving the image of the rest of us.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laughing all over again! That was a riot!

Thanks for the fine memories!

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

<Hey Jay... That letter from Ruth kinda makes it all worthwhile doesn't it?>

Ray . . . it feels best when I'm all by myself.

We just keep adding new twists at these meets. This particular attempt/idea reinforces the whole 'SHARING' we Letterheads are all about.

Wait until they get the 3D sign finished that we made them, too . . . I'll paint it and take it down to the Pantry in August when I drive my son to school in Bloomington, IL. In their eyes, Walldogs walk on water . . .

As it should be.

Muhammad Ali is credited with the shortest quote ever given. He said this at a graduation ceremony for Harvard University (yes, THAT Harvard):

"Me, we."

Sums it up nicely.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

P.S. - The lady who bought my artwork at the auction got one pair of the pink shorts thrown in . . . a clean pair autographed . . . I still have two pairs . . .

I think I saw her toss them in the garbage can when she was leaving . . . [Wink]

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Ted Turner
Visitor
Member # 2799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ted Turner   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother Jay-

This event was long overdue....

The afternoon I stopped by to visit at your shop, and the conversation we had, was just what I needed to get ready for this great event.

I had no expectations of what the weekend would become. And as I headed to Pontiac, and got there late, I realized Wednesday night this is where I truly needed to be.

The opportunity to work with the talents of yourself, Brad and Deri and especially Ray Guzman.

The other part of our team was two fantastic young men, Evan Allen and Noah Guzman. What a treat to see these two guys working along side their fathers, who they truly admire.

New friends made, old ones revisited. This past weekend I will never forget.

Thanks Jay!

--------------------
Ted Turner

Paint Designer / Stylist - Styling Dept.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Product Development Center
11800 W. Capitol Drive
Wauwatosa, WI 53222

phone 414.465.6005
cell 414.232.8185
fax 414.465.6330

ted.turner@harley-davidson.com

Posts: 81 | From: Wauwatosa, WI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ted,
it was great meeting you, bro. We'll stay in touch.

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Ted . . . some things are meant to happen. It had nothing to do with me . . . it was what was missing inside you that created this all.

"Welcome back".

That said, it was my pleasure to have you work alongside me again.

But the comment that means the most . . . the one about my son . . . I think of all the compliments we get in our lives, the ones about our kids seem to hold a higher place in our hearts.

I agree . . . he is a fine young man. On Friday night I went into his room at the Vogel's just before he went to sleep, kissed him on the head and told him, "I get a lot of compliments on you" . . . then walked out of the room.

About 10 minutes later he walked outside and sat with Jody and I by the fire for an hour and did one of those rare 'opening up' things teenagers so seldom do. He's mature for his age and has a sense of a greater 'understanding'.

I think I must have said the right thing when I told him what folks told me . . . and that's why he joined us.

So proud. So very proud . . . and not just of him, but of all of us. Benevolence is best shared with others like yourself, and our fellow Walldogs. It is an experience that always changes you.

For all the sh!t we all will see in our lives, sometimes we capture the real essence of what is best in humans . . . and I was damned proud to be a part of that once more. My 'team thank you' post will come later . . . when I have an opening in a busy schedule . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoken in just 24,693 eloquent words,... as true to Jay's style.

[Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Estes
Visitor
Member # 3921

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Estes   Email David Estes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen! Those PINK shorts can be a most unexpected asset ..
If'n any of y'all are ever paddling after blown away trash can lids
in cottonmouth infested waters .. it twern't red that led me back,
nor was it yeller .. it was Jay Allen's Pink knickers that were the
guiding light that got me out of danger safely .. Pray to see the
pink .. If the lady did put them in the trash, someone call the Pontiac trash collectors & retrieve Jay's pink shorts .. run 'em up the flag pole.

--------------------
David Estes
West Kentucky Outdoor Signs
8975 Hwy. 62
Calvert City, KY 42029
ffw2@hcis.net

Posts: 15 | From: Possum Trot, KY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

<Spoken in just 24,693 eloquent words,... as true to Jay's style.>

Sassy girl . . . [Wink] I like sassy girls . . .

Deri - as always, great to see you and hang out in dark alleys together [Wink] LOL

<If'n any of y'all are ever paddling after blown away trash can lids in cottonmouth infested waters .. it twern't red that led me back, nor was it yeller .. it was Jay Allen's Pink knickers that were the guiding light that got me out of danger safely>
Herbie!!! If they only knew the real story behind that . . .!! We missed ya' in Pontiac . . . but the Estes family sent 2 of its 3 finest . . . and they performed in true Letterhead fashion . . . and then some!

Hope to see you soon - and may in September, Jody and I are spending a week at my brother's Smoky Mountain cabin for our 10th anniversary and we might stay over 1 night with Steve and Gloria. We'll firm that up later and let you know.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!