Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What's Your Most Valuable Piece of Equipment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's Your Most Valuable Piece of Equipment?
Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The sign industry has a vast array of gadgets and machines that help us do our jobs more efficiently. Projects get produced by large format digital printers, CNC routers and vinyl cutters that can cost into the tens of thousands of dollars.

Our most valuable piece of equipment is this screwdriver. The history of this screwdriver goes back over 20 years to South Texas when my father and I were doing custom paint work out of the back of his 1972 Chevrolet Caprice Classic station wagon. Back then we were painting graphics on brand new Chevrolet Suburbans all over the state of Texas for new car dealerships. We painted in fields, barns, and any makeshift building that the dealership would let us work in.

Hundreds, if not thousands of paint cans were opened with this screwdriver by my father, who passed away from cancer almost 15 years ago now. In the years we worked together we custom painted graphics on cars, trucks, airplanes, boats, Willie Nelson's tour bus and about a million other things that moved. Work days were long and sweltering in the Texas heat. In my mid twenties I wanted out and moved to Seattle where I learned the computer side of graphics and produced thousands of cut vinyl and digital print decals for companies like Crate & Barrel, Microsoft and Freightliner Trucks.

It took me quite a few years to come to my senses and recognize the legacy my father had left me with the years we spent custom painting all those vehicles. Not long after 9-11, I broke out some old lettering quills and bought some 1 Shot paint and started getting my hands dirty again. Slowly the old skills came back and the excitement for sign making came back with it.

Today, my wife and I run a small sign company, its just the two of us with an occasional friend helping out when needed. We named the company Starr Studios to keep the family tradition alive, my father's company was Starr Custom Paint. We have some expensive gadgets and equipment and computers that speed up some of the tedious aspects of sign making, and help us to keep our books straight. But the best days are when we sketch a design onto a sign panel and get to use our most valuable piece of equipment of all: the old screwdriver my father used to open all those cans of paint that left the chrome bumper of his station wagon coated in a thousand dripped colors.

That's our most valuable piece of equipment, what's yours?

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, where did you get our screwdriver!! Ours looks just like that!!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the most valuable piece of equipment in my shop...

-

I sometimes thank my dad for the lessons he taught me growing up. He was a carpenter and we seemed to always be doing a project around the house. He taught me anything is possible if you put in the effort.

Later when I had my own business he would be our guest contractor on projects and had a tough time building things bent as I liked them. He liked things perfectly level and straight. We had so many good times.

He's retired now, although I occasionally get him to help on things. When he was getting rid of his tools I asked for his hammer. Its worn shiney and round on the business end from driving countless nails home, without a hammer mark. The rubber grip has long since disappeared replaced with duct tape. Dad insisted the balance was perfect on this model and although he tried many other hammers over the years this one always was one one he favored.

It sits in a place of honor on a shelf in my studio. One of these days I will frame it... a glance makes me smile and remember many happy memories of a man who worked with his hands and heart.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This is hands down my most valuable piece of equipment. I'm on the road 95% of the time and without it I'd be on rollerskates or a motorscooter.
I'd have a tough time strapping a 4'x8' onto my rollerskates!

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Man, I couldn't make it through the day without these multi-purpose tools, although it seems I've mostly been using them to stomp out fires.... which sucks, because I hate that ashy taste....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duncan... I really couldn't tell what that machine is.... can you move that cord a little, take another picture and repost?

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this box of sticks with hair sticking out the end of 'em. Use 'em to smear this colored liquid stuff on boards and things. Every so often, somebody actually PAYS me to do this. Seriously! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - [/IMG]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brushes.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Neil, is that a large intestine?

/I'm not a doctor.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many projects around here come to an abrupt halt if I can't find these:

-

I have about 10 pair scattered around the house and still can't find 'em sometimes........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say 'imagination' but Neil's intestines go close to the pic I would have gone for next!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my wife.

Everything else is replacable.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, apart from a vast collection of brushes, its my OHP

-

10 times optical zoom. Means you dont have to move it to size the image. Very powerfull. Ideal for murals.

Cost $1400 15 years ago. Paid for itself many times over.

[ June 13, 2009, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this moment, I am starting to realize that my left Wrist was pretty Damn important. [Frown] .

Healing day by day.

[ June 13, 2009, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Sam Staffan ]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Jon . . . yer 'feets'! [Big Grin]

The moment I re'd the Q I knew my answer would be my hands . . . they are something I am very thankful for every single day.
Did'ju know the 'Rockets' have their legs insured for thousands of dollars? I think I should insure my hands that way . . .
but I can't share a pic of 'em . . .drats . . .

Meanwhile, Neil, you certainly nailed it - er' hit-the-nail-on-the-head . . . ew, ANYWAY - without the pink, scrunchy, wad of usually skull-encased grey-matter all other tools are rendered entirely useless . . .

LOL Duwad, 'hand's-down' [Razz] I'd say a lucid brain is quite helpful in all manner of equipment operation fron screw-driver to boom . . .

With all the tools mentioned, and pictured here, we may come up with one entire & complete sign painter . . . [Big Grin]

[ June 13, 2009, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My painting hand.

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the little voice inside your head that tells you that you can do just about anything if you really want to?
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The most valuable piece of equipment is a tough question since I can relate to each answer for the reasons given. Letterville has been a valuable tool for me as well. I've learned a lot, made some good friends, and I hope, between wisecracks, helped teach others.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sniff*

Gee David . . .
who knew YOU'd go all muschy?! [Razz]

Mr. Bill . . . well said. [Smile]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurt Gaber
Resident

Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kurt Gaber   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gaber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are really clever! Great topic! I don't frequent the site often enough to make loading photos a snap, or I'd post one.

--------------------
Kurt Gaber
Chippewa Falls, WI
Thank You Letterheads for being a part of both Brush Bashes in '02 & '06!

www.gabersigns.com

"Just Wing It"

Posts: 315 | From: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't even think about doing a mural project without this and my speaker rig!

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!