Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Waterbased primers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waterbased primers
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past couple of weeks we have had 3 jobs come back from last summer where we used water based primers and the paint is failing. UGH! We always used Chromatic Block out Primer in the past, but the price got SO HIGH that we tried KILZ waterbased. What are you using for primer?

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Graham
Visitor
Member # 1167

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Robert Graham   Email Robert Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very interesting that you are experiencing a problem with the waterbase KILZ. I am currently re-doing a project done last summer with the oil-based KILZ where the paint failed (it is blistering off). I contacted KILZ and they told me that I should wait at least 3 days to expose the finished project to the elements to allow curing time. My question back to them was "for an EXTERIOR paint I am not to put it outside for 3 days - what about painting a stationary object outside - with an EXTERIOR paint?" They never answered me. Go figure.(Actually the signs were stored inside for several weeks before going outside so that theory didn't work anyway.)

I had assumed I had an incompatability with the top coat which was a water-base paint(Behr). The label on the KILZ specifically specified it was a suitable primer for either oil or latex top coat (not!). Now, I am doing my re-do with the specified Behr primer with the Behr top coat. I can already tell a difference. (I have some panels out with Behr that are 4 - 6 years old and still look like new so I am convienced it was not the topcoat that failed.

Sorry you are having the problem - I feel your pain. I at least feel fortunate that I noticed the problem before my customer did and called it to their attention and offered to provide replacements. Perhaps KILZ had a bunch of bad stuff last year. Personally, I don't think I will ever trust it again.

--------------------
Robert Graham
Grahamsville Signs
1120 E McReavy Road
Union, Washington 98592
360-898-2260
Fax 360-898-2262
e-mail:gvs@hctc.com

Posts: 135 | From: Union,Washington - USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benjamin Moore Fresh Start!!!!
What material were the signs made from?

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Graham
Visitor
Member # 1167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Graham   Email Robert Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an interisting question. Barb, what material did you use? Mine was 3/4" HDO Highway sign board.

--------------------
Robert Graham
Grahamsville Signs
1120 E McReavy Road
Union, Washington 98592
360-898-2260
Fax 360-898-2262
e-mail:gvs@hctc.com

Posts: 135 | From: Union,Washington - USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay Cooke's

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never use a latex primer unless the project is temporary. I've just had too many problems. I've never had a problem using a quality oil-based primer such as Sherwin-Williams A-100.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used water based primers for 20 years. The only failure I have had was the one time I used Kilz. The paint and primer peeled completely off of MDO.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FSC-88

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Sherwin-Williams or XIM (the white, not the clear).

Many times, on MDO, I just use the background color enamel (Sher-Williams, Ronan, oil base). One coat is the primer, 2nd coat is top coat. First coat soaks in and bites; 2nd coat tops it off. Has worked great for years.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay Cooke's, mostly. I have had nothing but problems (many years ago) with either Kilz product, especially outdoors. These are probably fine for interior stain killing. I worked for someone who used FSC-88 and it worked well also, but more expensive. Jay Cooke's and FSC-88 have a very good "tooth" that most water based primers don't have, they even sand well.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coastal Enterprises' FSC-88 WB or Sherwin Williams A-100 Water Based.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For over 10 yrs. we have used Benjamin Moores Fresh Start, and have not experienced a problem and we deal with some pretty harsh weather conditions where temps can be +20degrees C. during the day and drop to -2 degrees or lower at night....We always two coat our primed jobs...Barb, Maris hope all else is well....Pat

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chromatic 1008 water-borne acrylic primer. Yes, it IS expensive - but not nearly as expensive as the failures associated with cheap paint!

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kilz has an oil-based primer called Kilz Exterior...it's the cadillac of their line...I use it on cedar and redwood...never a failure...I use Kilz waterbase primer on everything else...only one failure and that was because I painted very late one day on site before a big freeze that night...not a good idea for any kind of paint...anyway from my personal experience I have no reason to change.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KILZ is absolute crap outdoors. DO NOT USE KILZ OUTDOORS. I like to use BM flat exterior paint for primer OR 2 part epoxy.

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce...I guess each of us has their own experience...but the "crap" has worked fine by me for years...maybe you used the wrong Kilz for outdoors...they make several products.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Rusty, I've found Kilz to be a faithful primer. Their outdoor premium stain killer, which they call oil-base, is a shellac compound. It's the devil to get out of brushed as well as anything else.

It's not as nice to sand as PB's FS88 but much better on oily boards like cedar.

The oil based primers are much more difficult to get into solution. It helps to have a good paint shaker. Harbor Freight has a good one for $100.

Once upon a time I had a wobbly old Shopbot. It was excellent at keeping my paint mixed up. I'd just put a can on the back side and turn on the router. It would mix blockout white as smooth as a milkshake.

It worked liked a dream for keeping any stiff paint all shook up. I miss that old thing. But the Harbor Freight version takes up less room. I have photo's. It wasn't too good as a router either.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, you're going to get Ray all riled up to the point he won't get a good nap.

Speaking of paint shakers, I still have a Harbor Freight paint shaker for sale, $30 off their price, never out of the box, runs off your air compressor. (I bought 2 and the second one never went off site like I planned) Joe's right, a lot smaller than a Shop Bot and quieter too.

Back to topic. Rusty, I'm glad you haven't had any problems with Kilz, but many do. At every Letterhead meet I've been to I've heard of failures and they were always using Kilz for a primer. When I need an oil primer for redwood or cedar, I've never had a failure with Sign Prime by SignLife. On MDO I feel nothing beats Ronan blockout white, again an oil primer. For HDU either FSC88 from Coastal Enterprises or SignPrime (pricey though) Latex for MDO.... haven't used any yet so I'm keeping an eye on this thread but I really don't use much MDO anymore.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a burr in your saddle, Joe?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Ray, Rusty and I still like Kilz and were sticking to our choice.

It's ok with us if you use Porter Paint and need to drop some names and go on and on about not using primers though.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Well I guess in this vast unpredictable world...where there are great injustices...and life sometimes seems unfair...where often the good suffer...and the wicked prosper...and paint can peel...I'm at least lucky in one thing...primer. [Razz]

[ May 25, 2009, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got bit by the KILZ oil primer last summer too [Frown] just got done stripping down to the raw cedar we won't be using KILZ for the redo.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Wow, Dennis stripping down rough cedar to the bare wood must be a tough job. I don't blame you for having issues with Kilz. What do you think went wrong?

I know the Rough Cedar we get here is damp. Most of it is fresh cut and shipped without any drying out. Do you think this might have been the problem?

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta add my name to the short list of Kilz waterbase primer users. No problems here after several years of use. I even use the Kilz line for alot of my mdo sign base colors. The satin finish is great.
All my mdo is pre primed, so I havent really used it much on that, but I do on signfoam. No problems here.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, this was a old cedar sign that we had to repaint, before they brought it to us they had the old paint sand blasted off so for the most part we were dealing with raw wood the sign sat in the shop for a couple months before we had time to work at it (besides I was dreading the job) so the wood should have been plenty dry.
You are probably wondering why we didn't just make a new one, we tried to talk him into it but this sign had sentimental value so he wanted it fixed up [I Don t Know]
I stripped last years paint of with Zip Strip and a pressure washer on the rough areas, for the smooth areas we used our Dewalt paint stripper it actually went pretty good. Now we have to let it dry out and repaint.
I am gun shy now, not exactly sure what we are going to use we make most of our exterior signs using HDU never had a problem with paint before.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Again...I've always used kilz and with good results...guess I'm just lucky that way...but I've always been lucky when it comes to using primers. [Wink]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FSC88 WB

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Thanks for the permission Joe.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!