Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Preventing Paint From Sagging

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Preventing Paint From Sagging
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a good question for all you old schoolers....

When hand painting, especially large letters, or 2"-3" stripes, how do you prevent the paint from sagging? How do you go about laying the second coat of paint, if in a hurry? I was told to catch it for a second coat when the paint has tacked up a bit, thinning the second coat a bit.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lay all the letters flat . . . [Razz]

When THAT is impractical, say on a wall or a sign that is already up . . . you gotta wait for that 'flash' point or tack-up time . . .

I mean, yer sayin' 'in a hurry' . . .?
You aint even got time to wait 30 minutes or something for the second coat? Lot's of things affect that tack-point too ya know . . . if it's really sunny and perty - tack-time is no question, but humidity or whatever makes tack-time unbearable.

Go to lunch or go shopping or somethin' - it might be ready when you get back, LOL

HEY, HERE'S THE DEAL: Don't forget to add a few drops of hardner (activator) to the paint - always helps speed things along a tad . . .

I love you and miss you.

'Til that next awesome MEET . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bobby,
The idea is to make sure the coat of paint is the same thickness all over the project, if its thicker in some places and thinner in another then it will sag, I would only add a little thinners to the paint and brush it on in an even coat as possible then brush it out vertically and then horizontally until the paint looks to be an even surface, this also helps the finished paint to shine.

keep pushing that paint, [Big Grin]
Brian
www.brianthebrushuk.com

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't put it on too heavy.
brush 'em out as you go.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always end with a vertical stroke. If possible, do 1 heavy coat, not 2 thinner ones. If using hardener, mix your color, but don't mix hardener into the whole batch. Use another container to paint from, add hardener to the lesser amount, as it tends to congeal, then you'll keep adding thinner every 10 minutes, and this defeats the one coat effort.
I have a turps container that allows me to dispense the liquid by the drop. When going for one coat, thin very little. The trick is in careful palletting, keeping fresh paint between the bristles. You might be pleasantly surprised at how much control you have, because while the paint IS thicker, you can now load more on the brush, so flow doesn't become the problem you would suppose it to be. [Big Grin]

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the title of this post "Preventing Paint From Sagging" had something to do with the reason OP went veggie on us. Instead, it was about work and signs. Silly me.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a three inch stripe using enamel, tape it off with fineline, mask the edge with 3/4 masking tape and use a small 4" foam roller. DO NOT reduce the paint. You can keep working the paint with the roller until it looks sprayed.

For brushing when doing stripes or large letters, use as big a brush as possible and try to work straight out of the can.

In thirty five+ years in the business, I could count on one hand the number of times I have put a second coat on anything. If it's a problem color like primrose yellow on black I use a mask of some sort.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mixing and or stirring your paint in the can is probably the most important thing you can do before you start your project. The correct consistency will make for less problems and less coats. There is a huge difference between thinned paint and paint ready to use. Reducers and flow enhancers are different in such a way where one should wonder why one would want to restructure something which differs from its opacity to begin with.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have gotten the best advice from the best!

Thank you all VERY much!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!