Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » what time to you open?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what time to you open?
David Macomber
Visitor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Macomber   Author's Homepage   Email David Macomber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a little unsure about doing this - but i have just been going to places who have worn down signs and giving them my business card offering to give them an estimate.

I didn't want to sound pretentious or be like "hey you got a crappy sign ill make you a new one" But it is seeming to work. This was the first job I got from that so I am featuring it on my blog to try and drum up more business.

Does any one do this?
Is it good business?
Any other (cheap/free) ideas to help promote my new shop?

-

--------------------
David Macomber Jr.
_ _ __________________________ _ _
DavidMac Signs
505 Terminal Dr. Erma, NJ
609-602-4035
info@davidmacsigns.com
http://davidmacsigns.com/
http://davidmacsigns.wordpress.com/

Posts: 31 | From: Cape May, New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Any other (cheap/free) ideas to help promote my new shop? "

First step....letter up your vehicle. It's a rolling billboard and gives you direct contact with inquiring minds.

Have business cards at the ready. Keep some in your ride, some in your wallet and a stash in your shop. Throw a few around town on cork boards at local businesses (especially hardware stores...good for truck lettering and work site signs).

Push a niche. If you have good chops with an airbrush or hand lettering or pinstriping or cartooning, build on it. Throw a little in once in a while to remind customers what you're capable of.

Just a few thoughts...
Happy hunting!
Rapid

[ April 24, 2009, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Macomber
Visitor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Macomber   Author's Homepage   Email David Macomber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ray for the suggestions

--------------------
David Macomber Jr.
DavidMac Signs
609-602-4035
info@davidmacsigns.com

Posts: 31 | From: Cape May, New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often dropped in and left a business card behind. If you do have time on your hands, you could put together an informational brochure with a few before and afters as well as a sales pitch on the value of signs VS other advertising. Mike Jackson had an excellent article in the last(?) Signcraft. In it was a quote from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Website that points out the importance of signage.

I don't do any cold calling anymore, but I did a lot in the beginning. Today on the way home from an install I stopped in at a lumberyard/hardware in a small town about 70 miles North of here. I got chatting with the owner and he asked for some cards, in adddition to that I found out where they had their new town monuments done as well as what they cost. Information like that is always valuable, so when I do go into a place I will often ask for "advice" and tell them what I am working on. It always seems to open the door for new contacts and work.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I go somewhere and have time, I stop at places that I really don't need to go to. I sometimes buy coffee from a place that has horrible tasting coffee (I buy to-go and pour it out later), but the owner has a little jobs for me, and I meet other business people there. I find that people often have a sign job on the backburner, on their to-do list, so to say, but they'll mention it when they run into you. So be around and be seen, I've got many jobs this way.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1964 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray mentioned vehicle graphics. Many years ago, a customer told me he'd seen my trucks all over town. Well... I only had one truck. It does work to keep your name in front of them.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Macomber
Visitor
Member # 10854

These are all great suggestions. THANKS SO MUCH.

--------------------
David Macomber Jr.
DavidMac Signs
609-602-4035
info@davidmacsigns.com

Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anybody else notice the misspelling on the make-over sign?

I agree with everything said here, and would emphasize the power of networks. Whether it's through your place of worship, volunteer organizations, or even hobby related groups: try to get your path to cross as many others' paths as possible. It's really amazing how powerful this can be. But just be sure you conduct yourself to the highest ethical standards, even if you think it won't matter or no one will notice. Believe me, someone will notice and you will gain a reputation for your square dealing that can serve you very well over the years. Out-of-pocket cost: $0.

[ April 27, 2009, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Brian Oliver ]

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian,
I thought maybe they had added a tanning booth to the beauty salon.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Macomber
Visitor
Member # 10854

Don,

They actually do have a tanning booth... and that was part of the choosing the name.

--------------------
David Macomber Jr.
DavidMac Signs
609-602-4035
info@davidmacsigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!