Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » ANOTHER PAINT ON ALUMINUM QUESTION

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ANOTHER PAINT ON ALUMINUM QUESTION
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a customer who has a big aluminum tank on the back of his truck, & he is insisting on using this paint that he has that matches his truck cab. He wants the word WATER painted on it in this paint.

I have searched here & found I need etching primer to do this? So, what steps would I do, go buy the etching primer, hand letter it on, then do I need regular primer on top? Then letter it on by hand with his automotive paint he has?

I am TRYING to convince him to let me just vinyl it on.

What is the price difference between painting this & vinyl? They want to know, & I have never hand painted on bare aluminum before. I don't even know if I might ruin my brushes with this paint?

[ April 23, 2009, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Bobbie Rochow ]

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing, they want the latters to be 15 tall.......

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Stoddard
Visitor
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Stoddard   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Stoddard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only etching primer I have ever seen is a spray. I use Matthews usually but there is a product you can get at an automotive store that is a rattle can self etching spray - mask and spray.

--------------------
Brian Stoddard
Northwest Wholesale Signs

brian@nwsigns.com
www.nwsigns.com

Posts: 790 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also be able to use Ti-Cote on the vinyl, then spray the vinyl with his truck color, cut, weed, & apply. Ti-Cote is a primer for vinyl that will make it enamel receptive. It will be easier doing it that way than doing all the priming, painting, etc. on the truck. The Ti-Cote will be handy for later use.

For etching primer on Aluminum, I use Grip-Gard wash primer. You have to buy a gallon of part A and a gallon of part B, which will set you back close to a hundred dollars. When equal parts are mixed, it has a pot life of about two weeks. It will etch into the Aluminum to allow adhesion of his paint. It dries fast and is ready for finish coating soon.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used ordinary metal primers on anodized aluminum and its worked fine. (I'm guessing the truck has some sort of finish over the aluminum, or else it is anodized... but maybe not.)

Another option is to use a vinyl primer on some good white vinyl, roll their paint onto your vinyl. Let it dry, and then cut/weed/apply as you prefer. It's pretty simple. Of course, do a test sample first.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Scooter & Dave, I think you both have something there!

Dave, where do I find Ti Cote? I have heard all of you talk about it here & there. Or...will my One Shot vinyl primer work? Is this what you are talking about, Scooter?

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Id tell the guy, if you can get some good old fashion lead based 1-Shot, you'd love to paint on the letters. Explain to him that about 1995, you could no longer find that type of paint. On the other hand,,if the guy really wants it painted. What I'd tell him is to find a body shop that can do the prep and paint work. The only thing you, Bobby, The Nice Lady, would do is to mask off where the lettering would be at. This way, the body shop can order the very same paint that's on his truck. He gets his lettering painted, you get to sleep at nite, and the body shop gets to meet a wonderful person, Little, Sweet Bobby.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

That's sweet of you, Alicia! Actually, they already have a gallon of the paint inquestion, here, probably the reason they want to use it to match the cab...it cost them a lot of money.

I am wondering how the vinyl will hold up with the automotive hardner in it too, (when it is flexed) to adhere to the tank, once it has been srayed on the vinyl & letters cut out.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Hey, what difference in price are we talking here, even for spraying the letters & all, sounds like lots of extra work....

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie..........IF they are being that anal about color match and quality of work.......quit worrying about cost!

Listen to Alicia! She has the best solution to this! Make them up a set of paint masks and let the body shop do the painting!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Si Allen:
Bobbie..........IF they are being that anal about color match and quality of work.......quit worrying about cost!

Listen to Alicia! She has the best solution to this! Make them up a set of paint masks and let the body shop do the painting!

What they said ! Cut a mask and let the body shop scuff the aluminum, apply the etch primer and finish color.

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basics...

If the paint they supplied you is a base coat, painting with a brush is out of the question. You'll never get an even coat with brushes.

If it's an acrylic enamel paint. you're within the realm of possibility, but in either case, the self etching primer is a must or it's never going to last.

I'll agree with everyone that you should get a body shop in on this action, but I would recommend...

First, use a good paint mask. The thicker the better. I've found that some masks don't take too well to automotive reducers. Arlon paint mask works well. Just enough adhesion to stay neat on bare aluminum, but not a PITA to pull off later.

Several light coats. Don't pound it on as it can ripple the edges of the mask and you'll lose the sharpness.

Pull the mask while it's still wet...CAREFULLY! Waiting too long can cause the paint to get stringy along the edges. In more severe cases, the edges will pull up with the mask and leave bare spots (kinda like tearing the paint).

WILDCARD!!!!
There are some really cheap equipment enamels out there that you can paint directly through a mask with a foam brush and get good results. Might be worth looking into if you can get the color right.

I have a similar job coming up in a week or so for a local fuel company. This will also include doing some vinyl removal and cleanup/prep. Been a while since I offered up something for the "Step by Step" pages and this mess might be worth a few pictures and pointers.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!