Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Where's the best place to look for a windows 98 computer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where's the best place to look for a windows 98 computer?
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they still sell them? Or are they ending up in some river broken apart in China for the kids to wallow in, salvaging parts?

I am looking to find one somewhere, and I know they are out there...craigslist didn't have them, but maybe someone's closet or back room?

just wondering if there is a merchant that sells them? thanks ahead of time..be back later.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how many u want?

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One, one with some good memory. How much? I'll email you my addy and phone number.

[ April 16, 2009, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Deb Fowler ]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Maybe 2, depending on how much, thanks.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!! See?!? My operating system IS still wanted by the masses!

Deb, I wish I was ready to relinquish mine. But would you believe my computer guru Phoenix thought my system was just awesome and FAST?

Proud Retro Windows 98 supporter here...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Deb,

I only have one that is still running 98, and I am still using it. I do have a 486 that has Windows 3.1, 12 megs of ram, and a 324 mb hard drive. I haven't used it for a couple years now, but it was still working at the time.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also check thrift stores Deb. We have a thrift store here that has a room dedicated to fixing donated machines. You could probably ask them to install 98 on the machine.

Just a thought...

Good luck!

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2283 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I please stand second in line for a decent Win98 machine? Need it to run my old cutter, that's all. Does anyone in Western Canada have one? I need just the tower, got the monitor and all. Thanks.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1964 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

I did get a lead on one here and I guess they are available. Many are upgraded to higher OS so that's maybe why you won't see them as much. Kudos for recycling and refurbishing.

I am still looking as they are a great computer for those who keep them up. I was silly to have it on the floor of my dusty home as the cat hair and dust got into it, as I am ashamed to say that I should have known better!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to admit it, but I don't want to part with the one win 98 I still have.
Although it sits in the corner collecting dust, it was a good machine. I'm sure that if I needed it, it would fire right up.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it a compatibility issue with hardware or software that's driving you to a win98 machine?

Nevman has best advice. A mom and pop computer store is best bet. have them load 98 on a hard-drive and pop it into the appropriate computer.

I still run 98 on my plotters because of hardware issues. Anything later won't work (easily anyway!) with my cutters.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deb, I still operate my plotter using ANA Design Art Pro. It will only operate from Windows 98. My puter bit the dust when Katrina visited and I bought a used PC and had 98 installed on it. Check with some of the gurus here to see if it will work on the newer machines.
I have not upgraded my design program as I fell it is adequate for my needs and dread the day I will have to.

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did u email or PM me yet?
I have something available.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is true or not maybe Curtis can answer it.
Since 98 is no longer supported by MS. Can I send you a copy of 98 with out getting in trouble???

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!