Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » UPS (rather long rant)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPS (rather long rant)
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or is this the absolute worst company on the planet? They are driving me nuts. Not a single shipment seems to get there without problems, delays, overcharge and what not. I don't even want to go into details of some of the worst stories. No time to type all of that. Calling them is a nightmare. After you click yourself through five minutes of automated answering you finally get to a person who maybe speaks more or less english, has no clue of all the other calls you made before,so that you start your story all over again. Then they will assure you that your parcel will be delivered tomorrow, or they will call you or whatever it is, and it will never happen. After which you start calling them again, clicking yourself though some five minutes of automated anwering, etc. etc...
Currently I'm waiting to get a parcel that was sent from Ontario on Feb 25, I'm also waiting since 2 weeks to get a refund on a parcel from the States, because they charged me twice,first to get it through customes(per credit card)and then the same amount upon delivery. The driver refused to leave it if he didn't get a cheque, even though I paid that fee already.
Now the thing that grates me the most is that you can't avoid this plague of a company. No one seems to put anything into the mail anymore. I trust the mail system ten times over UPS in reliability. The last time I tried to convince a US company to ship me something in the mail, I was told that they were not allowed to do that because of strict contracts with UPS. Excuse me? When was it that I turned around and missed the hostile takover of the business world by UPS? Signs of the end of the world? [Eek!]

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1964 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
super well packed package, rocking horse inside well padded/braced, carrying handles on box, WELL MARKED FRAGILE!!! arrives in San Francisco busticated!!
remember Jim Carrey..Pet Detective?? [Frown] [Mad] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted some airbrush parts sent from USA to Australia.

UPS wanted $180 postage. (yes, one hundred & eighty dollars)

I eventually found the parts at another supplier who used USPS, and bought them- posted here for $19 (yes, nineteen dollars).

The difference is atrocious and illogical.

Those price differences are pretty consistent for overseas postage. I won't buy from any supplier using UPS.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unload, Pulverize and Shatter

Don't get me started [Eek!]

[ March 11, 2009, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lotti- I would echo everything you posted, but not about UPS- about FedEx! (Both companies may be a little different in other countries)

We are kinda spoiled here because we have a UPS hub in town, with a direct phone line, workers and drivers know you by your first name, and we can have them hold packages so we can pick them up before 8am...

We can't any kind of decent service from FedUP

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it all depends on where you are located.

Here the hub is 2 miles away, and service is good. Never had a problem with UPS or USPS...whch is 5 city blocks away.

FedEx is OK, but DHL suxx!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had ordered a part for my lawn tractor and it was shipped DHL. I called the supplier and they said it had been delivered.DHL echoed that statement. A month later a friend of mine was playing Santa Claus and delivered my package.He had found a large pile of DHL parcels which had been dumped at the side of the road in the next county. I called to report the delivery driver and he didn't lose his job over the deal.
I have shipped rare seashells to Italy and Japan and USPS is by far the cheapest service.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I ever write a book, it will contain many chapters on my dealings with UPS, FED-EX, and USPS. Over the years, I have encountered just about every excuse in the book from all three. I sometimes think about doing stand-up comedy about their escapades. Some are hilarious, to say the least. But that will have to wait for another day and time. Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my first tastes of UPS happened almost 20 years ago when they put a hole (forklift?) clean through a sheet of quarter inch polycarb.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so rare that I ever have a problem with UPS or FedEx. They're prompt and things arrive in good shape, and if they need to leave it when it's wet, they put it on the porch under a tarp. I don't know what it's like everywhere else, but the local drivers are all welcome at my dinner table any time.
Sorry it's not going that well with you Lotti.

[ March 12, 2009, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6716 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've rarely had a problem with UPS in the last 29 years. If there was, it was usually the result of poor packaging to begin with.
I did find out in February that a Christmas gift was delivered to my home in a FedEx envelope. Haven't found that one yet, waiting for the snow drifts to melt and maybe it will magically appear.

You'd thing they could have opened the storm door and stuck it there, DUH.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised when I hear about issues with UPS, here I've had good service for 19 years. Occasional problems are usually due to poor packaging. I guess their quality is dependent on the region.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lotti (and others),
I could relate to the UPS complaints. I still work part-time at the local hub and can tell you some horror stories. Needless to say, I ship all my packages via FedEx.
In all of my years dealing with these companies, I would say they're all about the same.
On a positive note, they have great benefits and that's the main reason why I still work there. So don't complain too much about what they charge [Smile]

Havin' fun (smashing your packages),

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear you're having problems. I have had an occasional package get routed to the wrong state, but it's rare.

It's Fed Ex that gets me. Had 2 neon signs shipped here. One came fine, the other was busted up badly. The manufacturer packaged these signs so well I couldn't believe one was broken. He declared what was in them, told Fed Ex how they were packaged, paid extra insurance on them.... Fed Ex refused to pay? WHAT?????? You pay for insurance and they just refuse to pay??

I like some of UPS's features. We ship proofs with paint chips to customers all over the country. It's so easy to generate a shipping ticket, and we can choose to have the customer get an e mail when the item shipped and when it has arrived. That one is big for us because a lot of our proofs go to schools so the recipient is not there to receive their package.

But everyone is right, over seas rates are ridiculous. Post office is much better overseas.

[ March 12, 2009, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You bring up another point worth noting Dave. Shippers do not offer "insurance". They instead offer "declared value" protection.
If these shippers offer insurance, they would be regulated and subject to insurance industry laws, which would require them to may a lot more of their damage claims.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only ever had 1 problem with UPS & it was a dumb holiday driver. My package was put on his truck by mistake. He left it there for 2 days. When I went to UPS, they searched every truck & I heard the woman on the phone to the driver's boss. It wasn't pretty and I'm sure her calling him at home at 8:30 at night didn't make him be nice when he spoke to the driver. They'll hold packages for me, tuck them under the porch & wrap them if I'm not here & it looks like it might think about raining.

FedEx isn't allowed on my property after the driver destroying part of my yard due to his own stupid & arrogance. That's IF he even brings my package to my house. They have been known (& did it to me) to leave packages marked "signature required" on whoever's porch they feel like. Thankfully the neighbor called to tell me they "found" my new laptop on their doorstep when they got home. Nice, huh? I refuse to order from companies that only use FedEx. Dhl, airborne, etc are just as bad and USPS doesn't have real tracking.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy ot hear that some of you have good experiences with UPS. I'm still waiting for the latest parcel I ordered back in February.
Yesterday I finally found out that it was shipped with UPS and not in the mail. So I tracked the parcel, and what I found out resulted in yesterday's rant. Today it was supposed to be delivered. Well,I just looked at the tracking record and check out the last entry:

REGINA,
SK, CA 12/03/2009 12:23 RECEIVER STATED THEY DID NOT ORDER AND REFUSED THIS DELIVERY / RETURNED TO SHIPPER
REGINA,

Cool eh? Gotta go, and spend the afternoon on the phone. Good thing I have nothing else to do.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan

Posts: 1964 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, UPS here in N.W. Florida is very good. Packages are always on time and the driver is friendly. I have his cell number so can call chase him down early any time if I like... never ever have a problem with UPS or him on packages delivered to my workplace....

However, FedEx and DHL absolutely suck. They show up at any hour from 9 AM to about 8 PM... sometimes they don't show up til the next day. A different driver about every other time... DHL is even worse than FedEx.... and like Kissy, both DHL and FedEx have left packages outside the door in the wide open which is stupid down here because it can rain at a moment's notice. Also we have a open bay around the side of our building where they could put the packages under the roof with minimal effort...

I will say this, Lotti... I live in Alabama so have a different UPS driver there... from a different depot. They change drivers more and are not as reliable or on time.... and a couple times the driver has said he could not find my house (pretty much right on the highway) and didn't deliver the package for an extra day or two. I think that is their way of skipping stops when they start getting late....

And God forbid if you should ever have to call UPS customer service. A while back the driver couldn't find our house for two days in a row. It was down to wire and I HAD to have the package THAT day, so I called customer service... they wanted the tracking number to the package, and I told them I didn't have one... the shipper didn't give it to me and they were closed... she was like "Well, I can't look up your package without a tracking number... it'll probably be there today..." I told her the package was supposed to have been at my house 2 days before and there had to be something wrong, and I needed to find the UPS driver and make SURE I got my package today... she was absolutely no help and refused to try to look it up any other way.... was not nice about it either. I got so mad, I ended up cussing her and UPS which is something I don't know if I've ever done on the phone before. She also would not give me the number or put me through to the local depot... said she'd send a note for them to call me... I told I'd tried that before and never heard from them.... didn't this time either.

I drove around until I found the UPS dude and sure enough, it was a new one and he said he had the package for 2 days... I was still mad enough to explain my opinion of their customer service to him and told him how to find my house for next time. He'll probably throw my packages in the dumpster next time he has some for me....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good service here if North Florida...My driver waves when we pass of the road, and also gave me his cell number, in case I needed an earlier delivery.

It's been the same guy for 4-5 years...he's the only one who wears shorts in the winter. I think he must be one of those weird Minn. people...somehow oblivious to cold.

Lotti...I reckon the problems you are having, have to do with the border between US and Canada.. and all the paperwork to cross.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good here also. Of course their freight division is abysmal.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She also would not give me the number or put me through to the local depot... said she'd send a note for them to call me...
Whaddaya know, I heard this line today. They haven't called yet, should I hold my breath? Last time I clashed with their customer service I heard that line four(4)times from four different people on four different days, and it never happened.
I'm sitting here eating chocolate and trying to think happy thoughts.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lotti, I hope the driver show up with chocolates and all is well.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6716 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear that UPS and FEDEX are going to merge!

They will now operate under the new moniker of FEDUP! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Gluchy
Visitor
Member # 231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Gluchy   Email Joseph Gluchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When receiving anything from USA..I always specify
USPS. If the seller says I ship UPS, I cancel my order.UPS has the gall to charge USURY
brokerage fees. If the package comes via UPS, I refuse to accept.
Joe Gluchy

--------------------
Joseph Gluchy
Montreal, Quebec

Posts: 67 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]
Gee, sorry you guys have so much trouble with UPS.
They are great here, and I know all my guys by name . . .
They deliver in my area after 4pm, so I often meet them at the loading area in the morning and intercept my package so I get my stuff earlier. They like it when I do cause it saves them a stop too. [Smile]

I think if I had these kinds of repetative problems with them you mentioned, I would call and write the company several times complaining, and even maybe get up a petition with their other customers and give them some of the grief back.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!