Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Best way to cut 1/8" Polycarbonate sheeting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best way to cut 1/8" Polycarbonate sheeting?
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to cut Polycarbonate sheeting into two, 23" X 84" pieces.

Supplier recommended buying a tri-tooth blade (three teeth curving in different directions) and cutting it on a table-saw, or using a skillsaw.

Curious.... is it possible to use a straight-edge on something this thin and score it, then snap it along the score-line? Or is that impossible with Polycarbonate?

It seems like it will be very difficult to try and man-handle a 4'X8' on a table-saw - - as thin and flexible as it is.

Your time-tested suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!! [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plastic cutters are less than $5 at Lowes, Home Depot, and any other good hardware store. Look for them with the box cutters. Couple of swipes with the plastic cutter and just snap it apart.

For heavy plastic score both sides.

-

[ January 19, 2009, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Patrick Whatley ]

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just recently I had to rip two sheets of plexi and used a regular plywood blade in a skill saw. I set the blade to just barely cut through and it went good.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Pat on this one.
scrib the surface two or three times and Snap.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, I doubt you'll be able to score and break the lexan.....different animal. It doesn't break like plex. You can, however, cut it with a saber saw (jig saw),hand held circular saw (recommend fine tooth blade). Go slow to keep from grabbing the plastic, or melting it. You're right, the big sheets can be unweildy. Maybe, if you don't already have it in hand, your supplier will cut it at least in half for you.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale...I scored and broke three 4'x8' sheets of 1/4" lexan into 8"x48" pieces yesterday. That said...getting your supplier to cut it is a whole lot easier.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale

He said it was only 1/8" in thickness.

I can snap straight lines on Polyes on the spool roll.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

Since I have a little extra at the end of the sheet, I will give the "snap" method a try first.

If that works, Super!

If not, then I'll give the skill saw method a try.

Thanks for the advice guys...I sure appreciate it! Have a great day.

Todd

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Todd, since you asked what the "best" method was...in typical Dan fashion, I would say cut it on my ShopBot.

But, the second best method for me would be to clamp down a straight edge over the material and cut it with a circular saw.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

1/8"
What the Hell!
is this a inch of steel?

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used the score and snap method too with success...but there is always that "once in a while" thing where the snap doesn't actually follow the score. I'm just more comfortable with a saw.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the spot where you make a line,(set for the cut)
Apply a strip of masking tape so that the cut goes
through the center of the tape for the entire
length. This will cause the heat from cutting to
disipate and keep the blade from gaulding.
Sometimes the blade can bind up from heat.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! Will head your advice.

Todd

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second Jack's advice.

It also works great when cutting PVC sheeting as well. You don't get the big wads of melted plastic to sand off later.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

BaBa!
I went to her corner becauces she was board!
There was not 'Kat Nip' involved!

She asked ,..Please give her a challenge!

[ January 19, 2009, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Deveau ]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Huh?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

She call me out and asked about 1/8" plastic!

Then she slapped on the side of my face!

I got to love a womem that knowns what to do.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

So Raymond!

Do not believe in machinces.
but only in yourself.

[ January 19, 2009, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Deveau ]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

CNC
HA!HA!

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Don't ever 'Kick my Cat' to the curve.
Then you will deal with myself.

You will not like the outcome.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who exactly is into the catnip here?

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

OK!... Dave
you just opened the Litter Box..

You while not like our next picture posting.
But hang on to you arm chair!

BaBa! and I will give you a Barcode Blast!

[ January 19, 2009, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Deveau ]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To whom it may concern, I have a 2" thick piece of blue foam insulation board flat on top of a 4'x8' bench that I lay my plex or poly-carb on to cut it. I use the score and sanp method on thin stock, a saber saw or circular saw on thick stock. Just my 2 pennies worth, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks Donald! I haven't done it yet, but I plan on doing the "bend and snap" method...

Hey - - that's not the same "bend and snap" from the movie Legally Blonde, is it?! Hehe.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF - Any shop in your area has one of those 8' long material cutters, that would be my choice. I'm fortunate to work for a company that has one. I don't know the name of this machine, but it will cut (any size up to 8') 1/8 lexan (& other substrates suchas aluminum, dibond, coroplast & alumalite) with very little effort on your part & the results are very acceptable. You must have great respect for this machine. The blade goes in one direction with great force & is not a place for lack of concentration. You mark the piece where you want it cut & hold down & keep fingers well away from clamp which drops down quickly just before blade engages. With proper usage this machine will cleanly cut your lexan alot quicker than it takes to type this message. That would be my first choice. Or, do what Dale Feicke suggests.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Hi guys...

Thought I would post my results...

I scored and snapped the first of the two 23" X 84" pieces. I personally found it difficult and imprecise.

Cut the second one on my table saw with masking tape on both sides of where the cut was to be. Cut like butter - perfect.

---------------------------------

This polycarbonate was only 1/8" thick, and even scoring both sides about 3 times each...it was very difficult to snap.....and after snapping the first piece, the second piece only had about 6 inches to snap off the length and because there was no ample extra to bend over - it proved impossible. This is when I decided to not ruin it and went to the table saw. Worked great.

Don't know how anyone could ever score and snap 1/4" polycarbonate??

Probably has something to do with technique I guess. Well, both worked...but in the end, I think the saw is the best way to go.

Thanks for everyone's input. I learned something tonight! [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be asking how to install it, we're done.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh . . . no,
I don't have a reply. . . .

I was just comin' in to read what the best 26 ways to cut plastic are . . . [Roll Eyes]

and discovered really only about 3 ways . . .

and also discovered the devastating affects of baba with regard to spelling as well as sentence structure, relativity, and overall lucidity when NO catnip is allegedley involved . . .

[Razz]

ACK- caution! It's highly contagious and affected my spelling too . . . .

[ January 22, 2009, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Todd, glad you got the material cut OK. I see you used the table saw, with apparently no ill effects. Just as a safety side-note, if anyone else is planning to cut this material...be careful. Depending on the type of saw you have, the blade can catch the material on the backside of the cut, and sling it back at you.

If I have to cut this type of material on the table saw, I set the blade down low, so it just cuts thru the plastic (no more than 1/2 inch in height). I use a piece of pressure treated 2 X 4 or similar about 8 or 10 in. long, start the cut, then set the board down lightly on the top of the blade, and then slide the material under the board. The saw will cut the plastic, but the board will prevent the blade from picking it up and slinging it. I seldom use the table saw for this anymore, but if I have to, that's how I do it. With a saber saw or circular saw, this is not a problem.

Years ago,we used to cut lexan, thin aluminum, PVC and lots of stuff on the table saw...until one day, I was cutting some .080" aluminum, the blade caught the end of the cut, and sent a piece of aluminum about 2 inches wide by 8 inches long sailing over my shoulder, across the shop and it stuck in a drawing board about 3 feet away from where another employee was working. That'll get your attention in a hurry!

I'm sure many may have other, maybe better, suggestions. This worked for me. Be safe.

[ January 22, 2009, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

I am surprised that no one mentioned a hand shear. I have one made by Milwaukee that I cut 1/8" material with.
I assume most use this for panels in sign boxes where the edge isn't important. If a true even cut is needed the shear is not my choice.

Boy, a long topic for a seemingly mundane part of the sign shop work day.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks guys!

Dale - it was a bit 'scary' on the table saw...but, at least I had already 'snapped' the first panel off the 4X8 sheet...so it was easier to handle...I put a table behind the table-saw to help support this wobbly piece, which helped also...but I was very aware and paranoid about the thing shattering and sending a spear of poly through me.

I did have the blade up about 1/4" inch and held the poly on both sides of the saw blade firmly to the table as I slowly fed it through - with the blade guard in place of course!

I forgot to personally thank Pat Whatley - who I called for his instructions on the snap method...as I mentioned, it did work as he said but for some reason it was harder to do than I thought...still, it got me the first piece and it's good info to know.

David - this is a mundane topic for sure. But, heck, it's not something I normally do, so it was kind of a new experience for me. Thanks for muddling through this - and thanks for your advice.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!