Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How not to start the New Year -OT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How not to start the New Year -OT
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't generally bring personal stuff to this board, but this will have a big impact on my business.

On Jan. 4, Deb and I were out with our dog and another friend, hiking on some old fire roads in Pachaug State Forest in eastern CT, a regular winter activity for us. I tooka spill on some ice, and suffered from what was initially diagnosed as a badly sprained knee.

A week later, a followup visit to a orthopedic doctor revealed that I had, in fact, torn my quadriceps tendon. This morning (Thurs. Jan. 15) I had surgery to repair it. My knee has to be immobilised for a minimum of two to three weeks, and I'll be out of work for at least two months.

Fortunately, I have health insurance, and a supplemental disability policy, but still and all, this is no way to start off the new year. I'm not asking for sympathy, all the same, wish me luck. This is going to be a tough one.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course......I offer you the intent to heal.

It will only be a "tough one" if you believe it to be so. I don't use the word luck in my vocabulary because we create our reality 100%....no luck involved.

Just my 2 cents worth...whatever that is worth. [Wink]

Heal well Cam...

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! I wish you the best on your recovery, Cam. Follow through on the doctors' and therapists' orders and don't overdo the rehab. Sixteen years ago, when I blew out my ACL and had reconstructive knee surgery, I worked too hard on the physical therapy, causing tendonitis and a major setback. Some things just can't be hurried.

As far as work is concerned, do what you can in bits and pieces and sub out what you feel comfortable with. You can be more of the designer than craftsman for a while.

Many people find themselves in better shape after PT because of all the workout involved.

By the way, my cousin Tonya hasn't been over there lately, has she? We haven't seen her for a while and I'm missing a tire iron.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
always make something good out bad .. it's not a problem but a situation
a injury will ground you so you can move forward latter... yes it could have been worse

be thankful for the fasting of your time and this is only a test of what you'll do

best wishes, heal fast, move forward,

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there, Cam. Take care of yourself and listen to the Drs. when they tell you to take time to heal. Get some good books to read and some sketch pads to jot down ideas.
I wish we were closer. I'd make you some soup. Soup and hot tea cures all! [Wink]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cam,

Sorry to read about your current state. I’m not sure about wishing you luck, but do wish you well. Much like it wasn’t luck that has you on the mend with health insurance and supplemental disability; it was you taking accountability and responsibility both personally and as a business owner. Good on you! Shame that in today’s current society (US based perspective anyway) and our industry in particular, such action standouts or draws attention for being “unique” when it should be the exact opposite. [Frown] Way to easy to only think about today, not plan for tomorrow, and if something goes wrong, cry foul and search for a scapegoat instead of looking in the mirror.

And to help keep this commentary on target for the brothers and sisters of the brush (or plotter, router, what have you), that’s part of the difference between charging $25USD sqft, $75.00USD sqft, or $150.00USD sqft. [Roll Eyes]

Get well Cam!

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can relate, dec 27, 2007 i had a bladder cancer surgery, and it went as expected no complications.
BUT, in post op, when they was getting me ready to go home, i had to stand up........thats when i felt it.
junior high school i played football, and i got "clipped", this is when a player on the other team, hits you below the knee, and another player hits you high on your body, hence the knee trys to bend the wrong way, ended the football.
iam aware of this "bad knee" and do a lot of compensation NOT TO irritate it.
well i didnt tell any of the surgical team about it and while moving me from surgery table to gurney,me being sedated, someone twisted it the wrong way, and i almost couldnt walk for a month or so. i finally went to a swimming pool here and its ok now A YEAR LATER.
hope ya heal good.

[ January 15, 2009, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heal well Cam!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YakTrax

Heal well !

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bummer dude...i hope you heal up quick!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about the injury, Cam. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery. I imagine the healing process will involve some physical therapy. Do IT!! No matter how much it hurts, or how much aggraviation it is. It will almost always help the injury to heal better and faster.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can sympathize with you on this.
As a verteran of muliple surgeries (they tell me that I have had more repairs and replacement parts than a '53 Buick)...listen and do exactly what your Doctor and Physical Therapist tell you to do...no more nor any lees!!!

Just think...now you have time to cruise the BB's and harras people...design new projects...catch up on your reading...order up DVDs of movies that you have wanted to see...and many other things that a fruitful mind can dig up!

Happy healing!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer, I'll bet your just like most of us.
Three or four days into it and you'll be hobbling around you shop and working around this temporary problem. Good luck. . . .keep us posted!
Been there - done that.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get well soon Cam! I hope you can find someone nearby to keep things humming with your biz for you to a certain degree?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
best wishes for the remainder of the year and beyond!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nasty injuries and slow recoveries can sometimes be a blessing in disguise. Are their programmes on your computers that you've thought to yourself gee I know there's so much more they can do but I've never had the time to learn? Now's the time [Smile]

I spent 8 months being rehabilitated after a very nasty fall from a horse 15 years ago. I'm still benefiting from what I learnt during that time.

As others have said, don't try to rush your recovery, you'll regret it in the long run. I hope you're back to fighting fit soon.

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks for all the kind responses. [Thanks]

I'd like to think that I could be up and hobbling round the shop in a few days - not gonna happen. For one thing, the shop's twenty minutes from home, and so to get there means a ride from Nurse Deborah - about as likely as my waking up speaking Chinese. [Wink]

Bob Rochon has very kindly offered to help keep up some of my work flow. [Thanks] [Thanks] [Thanks]
January has been very slow so far as it is. Still it will be nice not to have to turn down such work that does come in.

As for my 'down time' sitting at home... I'll be spending most of that writing, normally a luxury I do in my very scant spare time. That's my biggest silver lining.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cam, maybe it's a gentle nudge from the universe to get that book done!!

Get well soon!
Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer [Frown] From your posts, I've always had you figured as a level headed survivor....you will pull through this just fine.

Big round of applause goes out to Bob Rochon for his offer of help [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

The oly advice I can offer up is don't venture out on the ice with crutches.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I'm not venturing much of anywhere for a while. I can get up around the house - using a hand-me-down walker - but that's about it.

The disability insurance, I'm finding out, is not much more than a hedge against starvation. I'm going to have to be very careful with what I have, and very proactive in finding ways to make ends meet.

Fortunately, I'm not alone. I have a good woman in my life, who keeps me clean and warm and fed. I have good friends to help me keep things together and keep my spirits up. All and all I consider myself very fortunate.

One thing I can say, is this has reconfirmed my long-standing aversion to activities that voluntarily reduce the co-efficient of friction between my size twelves and the ground. Icy surfaces, strapping on slippery boards to go downhill in a hurry, or putting little wheels on my feet, all that sh*t is just wrong. Trust me.

--------------------

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL.. wheels and boards and blades are just wrong for those of us that have more brittle bones. Kids are made out of rubber!

I'm with ya on that. I love to slap on a pair of iceskates at the local rink from time to time, but I know all too well what a fall would cost. For that reason, I stick with guy's skates without the little teeth on the ends. Girls figure skates have me tripping big time!

Can't stop living out of fear, but just learn to compensate along the way. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear it Cam! Hang in there. Best Wishes.

--------------------
Best Regards,
Mark Smith
EstiMate Sign Pricing Software
It's Not Luck. It's EstiMate.™
http://www.EstiMateSoftware.com
1-888-304-3300

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and this too shall pass.

Sorry to hear about the tendons. After tearing up mine in time for FKAB, I can relate.
Lay low, let mother nature do her thing and be well for the duration, big guy. I know you will.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear of the injury but glad you are covered, at least some. I picked up disability after my incident in '92 and your post makes me want to check what the payout would be if I was down. Relish the quiet and do what is best for you.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

For those of you who don't have some kind of disability insurance, I'd advise getting some. I have a policy with Combined Insurance; it doesn't pay a lot, but once I'm back working, I'm going to increase it. Not having it, under the circumstances, is unthinkable - health insurance won't pay your bills if you can't work.

I've been buying basic health insurance for the last fifteen years, but his is the first time I'll be making any serious claim on it.

--------------------

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379

Donald Thompson Donald Thompson has just turned 52
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is the reason I haven't heard anything about my bracket. If you didn't want to make one for me, all you had to do was say so. I'm a big boy. I can take it. You didn't have to do all this just to avoid me.

Seriously, I hope you get well soon. E-mail me and let me know the time line on the bracket. I bet you need payment in advance now don't you.

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!