Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Christmas Stories....Do you have one? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christmas Stories....Do you have one?
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember one Christmas Eve many years ago when Our Son was about 6 or 7... like all of us he just could'nt get to sleep with all the excitement. He was up out of bed dozens of times that night. Yes sometimes even I can't get to sleep on Christmas eve. Anyway, finally I said to him come in our Bedroom and lay with us for a while...he did so with a big smile on his face. He started talking to Judy and I about what Santa may bring to him... As much as I tried I could not get him to settle.. After what seemed like Hours, the wind came up. and the next thing you know the whole bedroom lit up this Bright glowing Red! I said quick Colin get to bed now! That's Rudolf's Nose! Well! He levitated off of the bed and I'm sure his feet never touched the floor, I was reminded of the way cartoons feet and legs look when they spin around in a blur. Off like a rocket to his bed he went, and we never heard a word till morning. Myself and Judy Laughed so much! Seems the Wind blowing the trees, set off the security Flood lights next door, which the Neighbor put in big bright Red ones for Christmas.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

[ December 18, 2008, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best Christmas I remember was 25 years ago! On the 19th of December we welcomed Joseph Alan into the world. He was born a planned cesaerian and back then that meant a 5-7 day stay in the hospital. It was a bitterly cold winter! My parents came at 6 AM to stay with Ben (who was 4) and my father ended up driving us to the hospital (which was a block away) because our car wouldn't start. It was a planned operation (and I wasn't knocked out like when I had Ben) so when he was born, they layed him on my shoulder so I could see him and then I went to la-la land with the anthestic effects. After a few days, I was up and around and out of bed but Pontiac got hit with a massive snow storm. They weren't letting most of the mothers and babies go home because thy were afraid that the roads weren't good enough and someone would end up in a snow drift. I was SSOOO anxious to go home! It was Dec. 24th and I wanted to be home for Christmas. I talked my doctor into it because, as I said it was ONE block! They sent Joe home in a huge Christmas stocking (which is still up in the attic). We all bundled up and made it home with our new arrival.
I couldn't do stairs so Bill had set up a makeshift nursery for Joe and bed for me in the dining room. And Christmas morning, Ben came running down the stairs with his four-year-old enthusiam because Santa had left him all kinds of goodies! I remember sitting on the couch, nursing my new baby and having coffee cake and thinking "Can life get any better than THIS!" [Smile]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post idea Neil!

I was in elementary school where we were having our Christmas assembly. As the program went on, there was a break where the lights came on and Santa came for a vist. He went up and down the rows ho ho ho-ing to all the excited kids.

I watched in awe as Santa came to where I sat. He leaned over towards me and said, "HO HO HO! Have a Merry Christmas little girl!"

I wasn't sure at the time what that connection was all about, but something drew me right in. His expression, smile and twinkle in his eyes as if near tears I will never forget. I giggled and pushed myself into my chair, feeling abit embarrased that Santa singled me out like that but thrilled all the same!

On my way home, I thought about it again and my heart lurched. I think that was my DAD. It was. [Smile]

Cody's mom is just as kooky. This summer at the campsite we had a Christmas in July party. The fella that volunteered to be Santa couldn't figure out the outfit. I noted the delay as I had helped organize things, ran into his trailer and saw him frustrated not to mention he had given up! NO WAY. I put on that suit so quick and massive gumboots reaching nearly above my knees and clomped my way back into the party. I looked like an anorexic (outfit too big) brunette girl Santa with a big white beard not fitting quite right.. I told the kids I was Santa's helper. They bought it! LOL

May this Christmas bring memories impossible to forget for all of you!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believed in Santa Claus until one Christmas Eve my little sister & I were laying in bed, not being able to sleep. I heard mom & Dad talking about Mom painting my name on my sled for me. The next morning, there was my sled, from "Santa".

One more...In 3rd grade, all of us kids were given a Santa Claus cup, the head of Santa with his hat the handle. Mine dropped on the floor & broke! Things like this ALWAYS happened to me! I still have the tiny cup, glued together.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas Time's A-Comin'
And I know I'm goin' home.

When I hear these words in the song, it takes me back to Christmas 2003. Dana had been feeling very blue and homesick because she was missing her parents and her daughter. The situation was becoming a little overwhelming as it was affecting the way she felt and all.

Since she was the low person on the vacation totem pole, she was not going to get the time off. It was a bummer! She was getting very down. Well, being the resourceful sort of fella that I am, I went to her supervisor Eric and talked to him.

White candle's burnin'
My old heart's a-yearnin'
For the folks at home when
Christmas Time's A-Comin'.

When I told him how unhappy Dana was about this situation, he told me to give him a couple of days. He called a bit later to tell me that everyone at the shelter was onboard and that several people had even offered to give up days of their own vacation to make sure she had enough to go. I called the travel agent, ordered the tickets, and got the itinerary ready.

So, Friday we are going out to eat supper at IHOP! Woohoo! A Colorado Omelet was waiting for me! Mmmmmmmmmm! Good schtuff there… Oh, I lost my train of thought for a second… Sorry.

So, the whole night we were driving around, I am singing and humming this song. Finally, just as we get to IHOP, Dana tells me to knock off . The song is starting to make her miffed.

We go into the restaurant and sit in the booth, me happily humming my tune…. Dana kicking me in the knee. She is starting to get really perturbed by now. Trust me when I tell you, that ain’t a pretty thing. I was really pushing the limit and taking my well being in my hands at this point….

Can't you hear them bells ringin', ringin'
Joy, don'tcha hear them singin'
When it's snowin', I'll be goin'
Back to my country home.

Just as she has just about had enough of my crap, I pull the itinerary out of my pocket and start singing “…and I know I going home”. Then I slide the paper across the table. That look on her face will be forever etched into my memory.

Yeah, so we got to spend the Holidays in Minnesota. Dana was happy. She thought I was a hero. My mother-in-law thought I was hero. My father-in-law bragged to all his coffee buddies what a dude I was. They didn’t like me any more.. LOL!

So, that is my favorite Christmas story.

And I know I'm goin' home.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember one year when my son was 3 and I told my wife, ok if you are going to do this christmas thing, I'm telling the boy that Santa is not real.
I didn't see any justifiable reason to lie to him just let him down later and have to confess that we lied to him. So I went ahead and told him Santa is fake, just a made up story and he looked at me with the most unconcerned look on his face, I tickled him, he laughed then went on with his 3 year old life. Anyway, they celebrated christmas that year, I left the house for a few days to seclude myself from the world and it's flimsy plastic facade and that was the last christmas my family has ever known.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, wasn't that heart warming.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it puts a smile on my face Bruce. I'm glad you liked it.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

One word comes to mind about you.

Troll.

Nice portfolio.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

You've got me pegged Mr. dancing elf.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon. Is that the best you could do? Hahahahaha!

I had enough of this. You aren't worth the effort.

[ December 19, 2008, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Bruce Bowers ]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas was always spent at my parents home when my kids were little. Dad was a real practical joker and loved to tease my kids. The year that sticks in my mind the most he helped the kids to hang their stockings across the back of the couch and told them the couch closest to the door was reserved for his stocking. When they asked him where his was he said he hadn't quite finished it yet.
On Christmas morning my oldest son came running into the basement laughing, "You should see grampa's stocking." Before long my kids were all standing there with huge eyes and open mouths. I can still hear my son Dan's drawn out, breathy "woooowwww". Grandpa's stocking went over the edge of the couch across the floor through the door and under the kitchen table. Better yet it was stuffed with gift wrapped boxes. Grampa was sitting at the table with his coffee and his smoke and soaking up the awe. "Guess Grandpa was a pretty good guy this year after all. Someone should tell Grandma that!"

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Christmas [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best Christmas memory was travelling to England with my Mum at the end of 1977. I had a real English Christmas with the snow. I can still remember building a snowman in my Grandmothers front yard (it was still there two months later).

Mum knitted me a LambChop hand puppet as a special present and we had rice pudding with full cream milk.

I'll never forget the smell of the tree and the warmth of the open fire. Plus the joy of being surrounded by a large contingent of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents.

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My senior year of high school, we were lamenting the fact that we never got snow on Christmas, so a friend and I decided we would head for the mountains of North Carolina and not stop until we saw snow. We drove up towards Beech Mountain, a ski area near Boone, NC and still hadn't seen any real snow; it was already about 9 pm, so we decided to have dinner at the lodge and turn around and head home. The man-made snow on the meager slopes would have to suffice, but hey, technically it was snow.

Just as we pulled into a parking space, a few flakes began to fall. High fives and delirium ensued, as we had achieved our goal, and we watched with delight from our table in the restaurant as the snow started coming down hard. The ski resort had been decorated like a Bavarian Christmas village and highlighted the falling snow with twinkling lights which made it a surreal fairyland.

The snow began accumulating and our waiter asked if we had snow tires on the car. When it's snowing, most people park at the bottom of the mountain and take the shuttle up, but since the roads were clear, the shuttles weren't running. We decided it was time to get rolling, so we enjoyed a few minutes of snowball throwing outside and got in the car to find that we weren't going anywhere anytime soon. Somehow, the snow had drifted to over a foot high and anyone without snow tires was SOL. We went back to the restaurant and several other patrons were in the same predicament. The manager (who had snow tires) told us we could sleep on the floor and the snow plows would clear the roads in the morning. He also said he'd leave the kitchen open and to just help ourselves to whatever we wanted.

So, Christmas night, 1969, I spent a wonderful night with about a dozen new friends, eating and drinking at a winter wonderland in my first (and only) WHITE CHRISTMAS.........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real nice stories for the most part.

I have one other that sticks in my mind.
One Christmas just before our son was born, Judy did'nt have much Christmas Spirit... things were tight and the old VW Van as you know did'nt have much of a heater.. and it was really cold that Christmas Eve. But she did'nt know that I had an extra special Suprise for her. I was able to trade off signs believe it or not for a pretty New car, just a year or 2 old... it was one of those Chek Cars.. the Skoda, but hey it was like new, and with a pretty red ribbon and Bow on it, it looked great. I sneaked home that Christmas eve, and Judy was getting ready to make our rounds to all 5 of my Sisters and both our Parents houses that night, and she was feeling kind of blue, I say Kinda, because she's an upbeat person for the most part, Well when we left the house and she saw the Car in the Driveway, she could'nt believe her eyes...this was her first car, and she could'nt have been any happier, even if it were a Porche.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my best Christmas ever six years ago with my girlfriend that's now my wife. We went to the local zoo to ride the zoo train and look at the Christmas lights. It was freezing cold that night but we stayed outside, wandering around the zoo, then going to a local park and sitting on a blanket under a tree full of lights. It took me about two hours to decide I was going to marry her (and we discussed running off to Vegas a couple of weeks later)

When I officially proposed I did it on the same train ride to see the Christmas lights...just with a special extra set.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bittersweet Christmas memory...

Back when I was 10 or 11 years old, I'd gotten a HUGE HO race track. I mean, it was the biggest one you could get on the market at the time and I went psycho happy over it. The ultimate perfect gift that would make all the kids in the neighborhood drool.

After we finished opening all the other, less impressive presents, I hauled the race track down into the basement and began to perform my duty of constructing it for all the kids on the block so as to share, and simultaneously impress.

Our 100 year old plus house didn't have a full floor in it. Half was just dirt and that was the only place such a massive undertaking could be performed, yet I had full faith that it would be a success.
Such is the hubris of a kid on Christmas with a huge Tyco track. Physics are not the first consideration.

After 3 hours of detailed work, it was time to connect the first and last pieces, plug it in and set a few new speed records. Unfortunately, the physics part had begun to say otherwise. The dirt floor had somehow managed to twist everything around and the last two pieces were out of alignment by several inches. I tried to gingerly shift things around for almost an hour with no luck when Dad came down to see how it was going.

I explained the problem, but good old, big armed truck driver Dad decided it would just go together anyway and went for the final connection...

SNAP!
SNAP!
SNAP!
SNAP!

In just a matter of a second, the track had broken pieces in four different places and Dad had a stunned look on his face. he immediately apologized for not listening to my warnings of possible damage.

I went numb. Not so much because the track had broken, but because it was the first time my heroic father had done something that had failed. I mean, this is a guy who could push a truck out of a snowbank with a smile on his face. The same Dad who who hit 4 home runs in a single softball game. The man who could lift all three of his kids with one arm and not work up a sweat. Heck, he even LOOKED like Clark Kent that year since he'd just gotten his glasses.
Superman just destroyed a "building" right before my eyes and all he could say was "I'm sorry."

I could care less about anything else right now. the dream was over. The damage was too great. I was crushed and not too happy about it.

Then the most unexpected thing happened.

Dad turned and lifted my hand, and shook it saying "I've always known there would come a time when I would be wrong and you would be right, Raymond. I should have listened and trusted you about the track breaking if I forced it. I'll always remember this Christmas as the one where you grew up a little more than I thought you did."

I'll always remember that Christmas day. It was the day that "Superman" failed, but it was also the day that my Dad made me feel like a grown up.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawud....are you actually bragging about abandoning your three year old son and your wife for three days because you were ****ed off that you saw an inflatable Santa Claus?

You're kidding, right?

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I also told the kids that santa wasn't real. But we all still celebrate Christmas.

On our first Christmas together, I dug up a little cedar tree in the woods and set it up in the living room of our trailer. When Christmas was over, I planted it by the driveway in our new front yard. Over the years we decorated it with lights a few times.. Now, 24 years later, I have to make an ever widening circle around the thing as it just keeps growing. I have mentioned cutting it down a few times but the Mrs. says no. Just give me one minute with the chainsaw and that tree's history. [Smile] But it's always there to remind us of our first Christmas together. Santa, elves and flying reindeer are a myth and I haven't the foggiest idea what the sigificance of a Christmas tree is, other than it's a tradition and it's pretty. But it's still fun to watch the kids open their gifts and it sure is nice for families and friends to get together and give and love and enjoy one another.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The celebration of Christmas is a seasonal event filled with "borrowed icons". Every year there is seemingly another addition to the list of symbols associated with the season, but which have very little to do with the birth of Christ.

Santa Claus is just such a "symbolic legend" who has evolved over time into the jolly elf who presides over the commercial aspect of this season, and has no doubt, become the patron saint of retailers everywhere.

For a look into the origins of Santa Claus, here's a site that gives the history"

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

Santa isn't the only "icon" that many associate with Christmas. There's the Christmas tree itself, which has pagan origins, Frosty the Snowman, courtesy of the late Gene Autry, The Chipmunks who were introduced by David Seville, Scrooge, The Grinch, and others.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 15 and my brother was 14 we had really gotten into weight lifting with our friends often using their equipment or the schools. It was well known that we were saving up for our own weight set and mat.

Christmas Eve was the night we always spent at our maternal grandparent's house and when gifts were exchanged my youngest Uncle still living at home had gotten us a rare gift. Upon opening it we got the motherlode from Joe Weider, a complete set of weights, something our parents couldn't afford.

Well that made it a great holiday until the next day when my paternal grandparents visited on Christmas day. After the usual sweater and shirt, my grandpa said he needed help lifting another present still in the car trunk. The feeling of dread hit us as we knew and had to tell him about the gift from the night before. The look on his face still hurts because for him to go out of his way and buy something extra like that was really going beyond his normal giving. (He was actually my step grandpa.)

Still, the thought that went into the gift from both of them just to make some poor kids very happy will never be forgotten.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do ya mean Santa isn't real?

--------------------

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a very cold winter in NYC. Things had been frozen for so long, and I was a kid living on the streets of the lower east side. It was a colorful neighborhood to me at the time. There were beatniks and junkies and hookers and dealers and those of us that wanted the experience of that type of lifestyle. I had no money and ate occasionally and had a flat shared with many others. We had no hot running water.

So, it was getting onto Christmas and I wanted to head home to Boston for the holiday. I started hitchhiking. The blizzard was heavy, and the snow was sticking to my jeans and building up some thickness and I don’t know if the knees still bent from the freeze. I walked backwards, thumb out, looking kinda pitiful, hoping someone would give me the ride I needed. Eventually, I got to the toll booth at the bridge and was thinking how easy it would be for someone to offer me the ride while they needed to stop anyway, and someone did.

I got into the car and the guy pulled out a badge and asked some questions and flipped a U turn bringing me back into Manhattan to a police precinct. I was fingerprinted and questioned and locked up long enough to thaw out, even though my clothes were wet.

As the evening came, a sergeant opened the cage and told me to leave. I asked if I could wait till morning and was told to leave now.

I started hitching north again, and eventually returned to the toll booth. With the blizzard and the darkness, it was hard to see me. I was asking those that were pulling into the toll area for a ride and someone waived me in. I was real glad to be in a car again.

Well, the guy pulled out a badge and did the U turn thing again and I thought this was some kinda cosmic joke. He headed past the police station though and drove to the Greyhound terminal. We went in and had hot dogs and he bought me a ticket to Boston, wishing me a merry Christmas.

Soon the bus departed and the heated was blazing in it and I was pondering the events of the night and wondering if this was all real? Somewhere in Connecticut the Greyhound pulled over because the storm was too heavy to safely drive.

At some point late in the night or early in the morning we resumed travels and shortly before noon I was in Bean Town. I caught the subway to my moms flat and was in time for a nice dinner with family.

I wish I could look that cop in the eye and thank him now!

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, Neil. What a great thread. Thanks for the stories, everyone...

[ December 20, 2008, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Man, even you don't like my story Jon? I know, I know, elves,fairies and pagan pretty lights are just too irresistible. Even lying on Jesus but telling the truth is for trolls.
It's a fact that most people can't wait until Christmas is over and dread it's approach every year, but I'm a troll for giving it up and not being fooled by the humungazoid marketing extravaganza that pressures people into the poorhouse every year.I was raised in a christian family but I haven't celebrated christmas in over 8 years and neither have my wife or kids. It's a personal/religious decision for us. Not to turn this religious. I know we don't discuss that here. Just adding my point of view. I know a lot of people enjoy christmas for the memories of childhood, family etc. Just giving my outlook on the discussion and for the record... it's very narrow minded and shallow to call people names because they're different or don't believe like you do or practice different religions as you. I would have thought people on this board to be more open minded than average people because of...well I don't know what made me think that, but the reality is this is a club and people who don't fit in around here eventually get ostracized in one way or the other instead of attempting to have an intellectual discussion, nah, just call him a name and maybe he'll bring his weirdo freaky beliefs somewhere else.
I knew my post wouldn't be popular, but I figured there were enough grown up, intelligent individuals here that may be inquisitive enough to ask reasonable questions. But maybe I just have better opinions than I should. That's probably all I need to say about that because I don't want to start offending people and If anyone took offense , please forgive me and don't O.D on egg nog , ok? BTW, I don't hold grudges and I don't intend to drag this into other posts Have a great week everyone

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I thought you were kidding about it. Wasn't calling you names for how you believe. I have friends who don't celebrate Christmas (at least not at this time of year) but you posted in a cold and almost spiteful way in a heart-warming thread, so I took it as a joke.

If you don't believe in Christmas, I think a "We don't celebrate Christmas because of religious beliefs" would get a little more respect than the way you posted.... but I have no problem with it either way. This is Free Kamerica.

I grew up in a Mennonite family who absolutely would never claim there was a Santa Claus, didn't believe in Christmas lights or trees, and celebrated Christmas for the purpose of being glad of Christ's birth... we did exchange gifts (usually inexpensive and sometimes even home-made stuff) and had many family get-togethers (still do, my parents are Mennonites) with awesome home-cooking and for that I am really thankful.

[ December 20, 2008, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

No, that story was absolutely true. No joke.
the internet is a tough place though...it's hard to bring emotion across on teh internetz....especially dry wit with a dash of da nor' east saaaaahcazm. (that's sarcasm spelled without the "r")
So, i guess I get to wear the troll hat today!
thanks Bruce! (you elf)

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

I partied with a Mennonite school teacher in a Tijuana beach motel for days on end [Smile]

--------------------

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Joey - that's the the kind of Christmas story that warms the cockles.........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

You know I was going to say nothing about that thread... All I wanted to see and read were some nice Christmas stories that you may have experienced.. Like a lot of the above ones, Rick that is an awesome story.

Christmas exists... period,

I know it's commercialized to Death and That Jesus's Birthday was'nt on that particular date... "So What!".. What's important here is all the Good Will that takes place around the world during this time.. people "In General" feel good, they want to give "Something" to someone or something.
The amount of money that's raised each year for Charities is extrodinary, the sick, the poor, the homeless... they all benefit... and that my friend is somewhat of a little "Miracle" in itself.

So keep the Stories coming, I just this second, got a Phone call left on my answering machine from a little boy who thanked me and Judy for a little christmas gift we gave him yesterday, he has no Dad. per say, well he left his mother and gives no shild support.. well when I heard his voice, tears welled up in my eyes....and I'm a Big harley Riding burly type of a guy.

Christmas is'nt Special? Giving is'nt Special?
Visiting Family and Freinds is'nt special?

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus....

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite Christmas was about 5 years ago. We have some good friends that have kids the same age as ours and we skipped out on the big family Christmases and suprized our kids with a ski trip. About a week before Christmas we got together with the other family and let our kids open a gift from under the tree. They each got a pair of ski goggles with a note that said we were off to panarama. I still tear up when I think about how excited they were. We had a beautiful suite right on the hill and on Christmas morning, all santa brought was a few stocking stuffers and a warm shirt from the ski hill. We all headed out together and ended up at the very top of the mountain. It was a cold, crisp day, but at the top of the mountain the sun was shining and it was a perfect day. We took our coats off and shared some hot chocolate and I remember thinking "it just doesn't get any better than this". I know if you asked my kids their favorite Christmas, it would be that.

On a bittersweet note, We lost our good friend to cancer 3 months ago. Her husband and kids will have a hard Christmas this year and we will all be thinking of her. But I am sure thankful for those wonderful memories.

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Joey, that must have been during the filming of hit movie "Mennonites Gone Wild"...

Hmmmm... my mom spent some time in Mexico when she was younger......

/DAD?!?!?

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Better to be an elf than a troll. [Wink]

Just another story...

Dana came to live with me in Niagara Falls in the Fall of 2000. My sister had set up a family get together for Christmas that year in Williamsburg, VA.

Christmas Eve came and we were back in the hotel suite my sister had gotten for us. I have had apartments that were smaller than this place! We were talking with ana's Mom and Dad on the phone. we were opening gifts long distance! Woohoo!

When we were all done, I told her that there was one more thing to do... I got down on my knee, took her hand, and pledged mt never ending love for her and asked her to be my wife.

She said, "Yes."

You know, it is probably a good thing she did because that would have been one heck of a long ride home, eh? LOL!

So anyways, the rest, as they say, is history. This will be our ninth Christmas together.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce, I celebrate you and Dana

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stories folks!

(btw, we still have Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny traipsing about down here when no one's looking. Nobody woould dream of calling them lies; the delight of believing in a dream, as well as the real meanings are plainly known.)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

yeah, I'll just stay out of this one from this point on. It's obvious peter pan and tinkerbell are in full E-F-F-E-C-T in some peoples minds so If you're ok with that, then it is what it is.
You have your way of life and I have mine.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas 2005. That was just 3 years ago...
My 2 boys and myself spent this Holiday in a Uhaul truck living on the interstate. We finally found a motel, checked in and got ready for dinner.

We had MRE spagetti, bread and candy. We were thankful to have that and a warm place to stay. This is one our family will never forget.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had an ice storm, in North Florida, a while back...at least ten years. It was 2 days B-4 Christmas, and it broke power lines everywhere.

You haven't lived, till you've been without power in Florida, in an uninsulated house, (all electric), with no water, no heat, and only a handful of blankets. All the while living at the end of a two mile dirt road, one car wide, that just had every other tree branch fall and block the road.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, my wife and I ended up hiking out to a neighbors house on Christmas Day, which was about 5 miles away, hoping to get warm...but lo and behold, they had no heat or water either. (These were all rentals, and I will never rely on all electric again.)

So as we were all deciding the best thing to do, Another couple shows up, from nearby, and they had a propane heater, but no gas.

Then somebody else shows up, that had gas, but no heater... And so it went.

Before you knew it, the place was full of people, and things got warmer, and it ended up being one of my my most memorable Christmases. As time went by, the cold front moved on, the ice melted, and I swear I saw a light in the sky.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

[ December 21, 2008, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Ogden ]

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Christmas I woke up to find a half-assembled bike in the living room. Next to an empty glass of milk and some cookie crumbs, a note from Santa said he had been in a hurry, and didn't have time to finish putting the bike together. He said that Dad would need to do it in the morning. I remember how my dad struggled to put that bike together the next day. He is not mechanically-inclined - at all. It was years later that I made the connection between the note, Santa, and my dad, and had a good laugh.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!