Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Missing the good old days... NOT!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missing the good old days... NOT!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I sit in my studio I am reminded about the good old days. What's taking me back? Well... its the pungent smell of oil based paint.

Its not a smell I particularly enjoy. Not at all.
While others here occasionally pine for the good old days when everything was done by hand with oil based paints I have no such desire.

We have a big welded steel sign background which had to be coated out. Oil based paints were the logical solution. I know there were other paints we could have used, but we will have to touch this thing up when it gets onsite next week, and it will undoubtably be too cold to use acrylics or waterborn paints there... so it made sense to do it with oils from the start.

My crew didn't enjoy working with the sticky, gooey paint that was so slow to set up - compared to the acrylics and waterborn paints we are used to. There's plenty of blue fingerprints around the shop where there weren't previously. And even with our ventilation system on full blast (with a matching fuel bill to heat the make up air, the smell permeates every corner of the shop and studio. It will undoubtably fade in a day or two.

I feel much the same when a particular problem means we have to carve something totally by hand instead of using our modern CNC router to help us out. Or when the plasma cutter just won't do and I have to break out the old fashioned acetyline torch to work with steel.

Although I still (and probably always will) do my rough sketches with pen on paper I LOVE using the digital drawing pad to help me do my finished art with much less effort than the old ways.

Modern tools and methods take the drudgery out of many tasks. They allow me to enjoy my work, and be MORE creative in the process.

I for one do not miss 'the good old days' one little bit in Yarrow.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Dan...there are all ways of looking at things.

We just had "cane grinding days", down here in good old Florida. Every person in 4 counties, showed up with all the grandbabies, inlaws, outlaws, and whomever. So as you can imagine, most of us were slightly overwhelmed by the outpouring of love that took place.

It's amazing to me, to see just how many people in this great land of ours, have rural backgrounds.

Every time I turned around, there was another person with a story.

Amen, and amen.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Horses for Courses" Dan.

Yeah, I can remember when waterbased paint and the "mircale" Paint Rollers hit the market! Horrors in the industry like the invention of computer cut letters [Wink]

I was taught by an old dude who could coat out an 8x4 in enamel .... with a 4" brush! ... and you could see your reflection in it!

Use acrylics every day now ... excellent in their place .. but there is nothing like the control and finish of enamels.

Smell? Ever opened a can of acrylic that has "gone off"? Putrid!!!!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I love the smell of 1Shot in the morning!"

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sweetest smells are the ones that do the most damage [Smile] Heck we've got to die of something, might as well enjoy the trip hehe.

I've been raised in a modern era of computer technology, I wish some of those 'Old time' things were still around. Gold leaf on glass, man it will never, ever, ever be beaten by gold vinyl or paint......sigh.....I'm in love with the old ways [Smile]

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Si - nothing better than the smell of fresh-brewed coffee and 1-Shot in the morning........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann, Si & I are some of those "old things" still around!

Not sure about the "sweet smelling" bit unless lacquor thinners sets you off!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still doing it the old way here in the UK and am very proud of my traditional skills and its heritage.I see the modern approach as the easy option and in this world of 'instant' I can see how it is easier to produce work using new machinery and modern technology but I love the old ways, the smell of the paint, the mistique of the glass gilding. I feel its our responsibility as skilled artisans to preserve the past for the future.

Brian
www.brianthebrushuk.com

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a tremendous amount of respect for Dan and the work he is able to do at his business, but I still love what I do and the way I do it.
And, that is mostly by hand, mostly oil based paint, and mostly traditional methods.

I have to agree with Jon; there's nothing much worse than a can of acrylic that has 'gone off'.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Dan's shop last night and the fragrance he speaks of was marine enamel, painted on a panel the entire width of his large shop. That stuff is nasty and there was lots of it!

I'm not an avid user of one shot, however I don't remember it smelling anything quite like this.

Let's just say, I didn't stick around long for idle chitchat. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I don't get it. You got this huge metal background and had it painted in oil based marine paint? I must be on the wrong page

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!