Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Bob Harper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bob Harper
Eddie Wieber
Visitor
Member # 9296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie Wieber   Email Eddie Wieber       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Harper passed away on Thursday June 12 at his home near Kansas City. He was about 88 years old. (The Letterheads celebrated Bob's 80th birthday at the 2000 Boise meet, but character that he was, he admitted later that he had just rounded it off to an even number and it seemed like a good time to have a birthday party.)
Bob painted signs all over the country, but is probably best known for the showcards he did back in the 50s and 60s in Las Vegas.
A memorial service will be held at 2:00 pm on Wednesday June 18 at the Pleasanton Cemetery, Pleasanton, KS, which is about 60 miles south of Kansas City, just off Hwy 69.
Cards and other messages can be sent to Bob's companion, Kim at:
8101 Santa Fe Drive
Apt #204
Overland Park, KS 66204

Kim can also be reached at 913-383-8854.

Posts: 1 | From: Broomfield, CO | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear that. Bob was a true legend. Thanks for letting us know.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with Bob a few years back and he was often a conversation when I worked closed to Emmett Morelli when I resided in Vegas in the late 80's Emmetts shop was directly next store to mine. I was always to understand that Bob wasn't feeling so good when we spoke in the past 5 years and I figure his life just caught up to him.

God bless him

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for informing us Eddie. I last heard from Bob at Christmas.

What a loss. What a character. What a gift to the profession. What stories he had to tell.

Some people leave an imprint that reaches farther than arms length.

His life can probably be summed up in one word . . . colorful!!

Jody and I got to be great friends with Bob about 11 years ago. She was the one who bought the cakes in Boise for Bob and Lucy Weber . . . that rascal rounded up his age . . .

THAT was vintage Bob . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a special character. Bob and I were friends from way back because we both shared a love for show cards.

There was no other like Bob Harper and probably never will be again.

Bob was a true showman, not only with his great manipulation with a brush, but also the stories he told. I'm sure some were even true.

Hair! Bob's hair was unique...and he kept it all his life, even though it turned silver.

And he loved the ladies. Anywhere Bob was in attendance and there were women present (especially young women) you could find Harper right there in the middle of the them.

The last time I saw Bob in person was at Fred's several years ago and he "held court" there just like the old days. As he was leaving one day he came up to me while I was lettering a panel and whispered in my ear, "You've still got it." That was probably the best compliment I have ever received.

Man, I loved that guy. He will be greatly missed.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sad to hear he has passed too.

Just recently I was looking through a think stack of pictures of his work he had painstakedly put together for me a few years ago.

He had made me a book of his work and the work of other's he admired and sent it to me in a binder.

I was touched that he would take the time and effort as he was loosing his eyesight at the time.

We had had many long phone conversations about his life and work.

Adrienne

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about his passing. I did get to meet him in Boise. What a guy, and very talented. He will be greatly missed...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Mark Fairs meet....one of a kind!

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only met Bob briefly back in '85, but certainly have been inspired by his work. The last generation of real cardwriters. May he rest in peace.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6718 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only met Bob once, at one of Fred & Marylin's Meets, but I had tried to emulate his style of shocard work when I used to do them.

He was one of the Masters!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had the pleasure of meeting Bob at Fred's meet in 2006.
Great hair....amazing portfolio....incredibly talented...he will surely be missed.

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember him most from Vinton Walldogs. The details don't matter.

It is sad he has past but he led a full life. Hell, he lived enough for two lives.

What a guy... [Smile]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seemed like we've known Bob forever. He always had a great story and a gleam in his eye. He is one one the legends. We'll miss him.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i met bob harper at freds meet a few years ago too. what a character! he was talking to me and ray chapman was an earshot away. he was saying stuff like...ya see that guy? he thinks he's good but he doesn't have nothing on me...he wishes he was as good as me.
then i would hear ray tell his son(cause they were just a few feet away)...look at him...he thinks he's quite the ladies man flirting with all the girls.
i was like wow...i'm sure they can hear each other...then i realized they were totally kidding around....and had a good laugh.
he did have some amazing hair!!!!
rest in peace bob~

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i met him at mark fairs meet. great guy. just to have talked to him, he made you feel like you wanted to spend more time with him
he teased me bout my hair.....imagine that!!!!
talent like his, is what we all wish for.....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad to hear about Bob. I'll never forget the time he and Terry Teague came here for a get-together. We all went to a local barbeque place for lunch and Bob was having trouble with his dentures. So, inorder to eat Bob removed his false teeth, then left them lying on the seat in the restaurant. He didn't realize it for some time and couldn't remember if he had taken them out at my house the night before or at lunch that day. I don't think he ever found them. It's kind of funny now but ole Bob sure wasn't laughing then. [Smile]

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure will miss talking to Bob, I had known him for 50 plus years. He'd often come by "on his way" wherever that was. He and Dad would swap shocard and bulletin stories which switched to me after Dad was gone. I spent many hours working with him and swapping lies in various locations. It's nice to know there is a Bob Harper collection at the museum.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Bless Bob Harper...I've known of Bob since My apprenticeship days... he left Colorado Sign Company the same year I started there as an apprentice.

We met up again around in the 70's and kept in touch til just recently as I lost track of him and his moving around.

I loved calling him on the phone and just visiting with him about all the people we knew in common from over the years. He loved a good story and was quite the ladies man in the day.

I'll miss him and his "codger" ways...

He was the only guy I ever met that knew why my Mauhl stick was so long...he came up to me at one of Fred's meets one time when I had it there and he says to me ..."You're a chart guy eh?"

(The length of the maul was for running straight lines for large charts working at a 4' bench)

You'll be missed by all Bob ..."Happy Trails"

By the way Bob told me (about 2 years back)that he was 89. I'm reasonably sure he was telling the truth...but you know Bob... [Smile]

[ June 16, 2008, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Monte Jumper ]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tod Swormstedt
Visitor
Member # 2017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tod Swormstedt   Author's Homepage   Email Tod Swormstedt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone said it: What a full life Bob had. No, he was bigger than life--both in his stories and his showcard work. I was so glad he could be at the Grand Opening of the Museum, and even prouder to be able to display his work permanently. He entrusted the museum with the first showcard he ever did: Done in 1938 when he was 15, he told me. I still remember him "holding court" during the opening, telling his stories. And I still remember his impromptu "workshop" at the Denver meet. Thanks so much Bob.

--------------------
Tod Swormstedt
American Sign Museum
407 Gilbert Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45202
ph 800-925-1110, ext 336
fx 513-421-5144

Posts: 35 | From: Cincinnati, OH USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Harper led a fascinating life and was a great talent. I met him a few times and we mulled over his show cards. He had a story for each piece. Lovely man, awesome talent, great sense of humour. This is indeed sad news. My condolences to his family.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope his portfolio has stayed intact and that it has gone to someone that will keep it that way...it would be such a shame to have his work disipate every which way.

Hopefully it went to or will go to the sign museum.

I loved his layouts!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sad! He will be missed... I also remember meeting him at Mark Fair's meet. He was amazing!

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Harper's work is a true inspiration for me. I wish i would have meet him.

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Harper was a great guy and artist. I've been offline for a while and did read the posts but didn't have my password handy.
Such a loss. I know that Debbie Delzell was writing a book with him about his life. If anyone wants that you may find her as she is in Columbus, OH to the last of my knowledge.
Bob, we are missing you greatly. Such a sweet man always keeping folks smiling. I met him in Vinton, OH.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This news broke my heart [Frown]

I will cherish till my death the times spent with, around and next to Bob, one of the greats...

To try and put it all into words now is an impossible chore, Bob was one in a million and will be sorely missed alongside those greats before him, whose names will circulate amongest those of us when we gather and reminsce, God speed ol' friend...

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Johnson
Visitor
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear the loss of another great artist, his work and inspiration will live on. AJ

--------------------
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson Grafix
Blairstown, NJ
[URL=http://www.alanjohnsongrafix.com]

Posts: 261 | From: Blairstown, NJ | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!