Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Sad News

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad News
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of you will be familiar with the names John and Ann Cox. John and his shop, Thorough-Graphic Signs, Inc. of Lexington, Kentucky dominated the pages of our sign mags for many years. Older Letterheads will remember their attendance and participation at numerous live meets over the years.

We're shocked and saddened to report that their 17 year old son, Collin, was killed Sunday in a motorcycle accident.

Our deepest smypathy go out to John & Ann at this very sad time. Obituary below.

----------------------------

Cox, Collin Alexander, 17, son of John and Ann Kersey Cox, died Sun, May 25, 2008. A gifted artist, he was a junior at Lexington Catholic High School, where he had played Lacrosse and was a member of the 2005 State championship football team. He was also a parish member of Cathedral of Christ the King.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by a sister and brother, Mary Abell “Abby” Cox and John Forster Cox; paternal grandparents, Carolyn Cox and Fred Cox, all of Lexington; aunt, Mary Kersey, Lexington; uncles, Roger (Vivian) Kersey, Annandale, VA and Jim (Dana) Cox, Lexington; cousins, Curt and Eric Kersey, Virginia, Annie and Christopher Cox, Lexington; as well as many great aunts and uncles and many dear friends. He was preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Roger and Marylin Kersey and uncle, Robert Kersey.

Services will be 10 AM Fri. at Cathedral of Christ the King, conducted by Rev. Chris Clay and Rev. Norman Fischer. Burial will follow at the Lexington Cemetery. Pall bearers will be Curt Kersey, Eric Kersey, Brian Curtis, Thomas Hinkle, Alex Hunt, Danny Lattner, Trey Muncy, Kyle O’Daniel, Sam Rogers and Jamie Schenk. Visitation will be 5-8 PM Thurs. at Hehman Hall, located in Christ the King.

Memorials may be made to Collin Alexander Cox Memorial Scholarship Fund, c/o Lexington Catholic High School, 2250 Clays Mill Road, Lexington, KY 40503.

Services will be held at:
Cathedral of Christ the King
299 Colony Blvd
Lexington, KY 40502
Map/Directions
Service scheduled for Friday, May 30, 2008

Condolence Message Center

[ May 29, 2008, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Barb. Shortreed ]

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2375 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so sad Barb.
My prayers go out to the Cox's Family.

Such a young life gone.

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a tragedy! I remember the name John Cox. His sign work was outstanding. I will keep him and family in my prayers. Can't imagine how hard that must be.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear this, John Cox is a really fun and talented guy, we had the best time at Belevidere in '97..I believe it was Collin that ran around at that meet with my son Caleb, and a bunch of others boys having a ball....my sympathy to the Cox family. John has a heart of gold and this will be a tough one that folks need to help them with..... I will be sending a card as soon as i can. I feel lucky to have meet him....

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way Mike does. John Cox is an awesome guy. I never met his son. when young ones die, it leaves at a loss for words.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike - that was Colin in Belvidere with you and Caleb back in '97 . . . damn.

How sad. How very, very sad. My son is the same age. I can't imagine the pain they feel - or any parent feels losing a child.

We spent time with John and Ann at the Sign Museum opening. What great people. But what a tragic loss.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It tears me apart when I hear of such young talented GOOD kids leave us forever. So sad. My condolences.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts and prayers are with the Cox family.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I am saying my prayers right now before bed. There is nothing more tragic in life than losing a child. So very sorry, and at a loss for words also.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prayers here for their family too. God bless you folks, and may you have the support you need from those around you to heal during this awful time.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My deepest Sympathies, God Bless Him.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It shames me
to see that we let our children to die in wars.
When it is not needed.

And other are taken because of accidents or diseases.

We know that life of all types are presumed to be forever.
But it is not meant to be.

Truly if we leave just a 'small mark' in this world at any age then we have done our job to help others.

Sorry to hear of this passing,
and I think many that are close will remember him.
Too remember someone after life is the best thing anyone whould ask for.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John and I have been friends since the early days of the Letterheads and for a time we co-authored a series of articles for Sign Business Magazine.

News of this type really tears at your heart, especially if you have children or grandchildren close to that age. There is no way for any of us to feel the pain that the Cox family is having to endure right now. Our prayers are there and thoughts of sympathy are sent to Lexington.

Words don't adequately express what's inside at a time like this.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Losing a child has to be one of the worst pains a parent is forced to endure! Our thought and prayers go out to the Cox family. We have met John briefly at many meets and want him to know that his family has our deepest sympathies.
Jane, Bill, Ben & Joe

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are not adequate words in my vocabulary to express how shocked and sad I am for this incredible, precious family. I only wish I had known about it sooner; I would have been at the funeral this morning. John and Ann were really good friends of ours; we've swapped letterheads projects and have spent many fun times together, doing signs and otherwise. My heart goes out to them.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my prayers indeed ... so enjoyed seeing the young grow of others or just reading about

god bless

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!