Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need advice on painting steel siding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice on painting steel siding
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denny Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Denny Smith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be a first for me so I'm looking for advice from those of you that have done something similar. I have a customer that has a steel sided building that is what I call "ribbed" meaning that there are channels every 10-12". I'll be painting a fairly simple logo, all red with a black drop shadow, but the entire image will be about 25 feet long. What is the best way to transfer the image to the building, and what paint would you recommend. The painted side of the wall does not get direct sun, so that should help longevity. I've got to get started soon, so any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Denny

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Posts: 52 | From: Marion IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denny......... I'd likely project it.....probably in sections to allow for the distortions. Use a stabilo so you can correct lines come daylight.
Then I'd scuff it up & use an acrylic latex....Porter/Rhino black & Para for the red.
Para is a Canadian paint & they have a red base that gives absolutely amazing reds with decent longevity.
I believe they have some distributors/dealers in lower MI & northern IN.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denny, I did a huge Hummer roof made out of steel with huge ribs. What I used for paint was Porter DTM (direct to metal) and it worked great. Here's the pictures...

-

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi denny, Ive been painting these for 30 years, we use paper patterns for most. When the project is to big for patterns we switch to Scaling the project by using a triangulating grid (a square with an X in the middle) then hand layout the graphics with chalk (lightly) and snap lines.

Prep surfaces by dusting. If it needs further cleaning, just use water. Many prep products leave residues.

I always use Oil Base Enamels, unless the owner asks us to use their paints.

I find that a Angled Fitch works best for cutting in the edge of the letters, and then fill in the letters with a Flat or a Cuttter, on some larger projects we'll use a foam Roller.

Good Luck on your project, and your welcome to call if you've any other questions.

Ron

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was from a Bob Parsons cartoon, but in any case:
Begin by pounding all of the ribs flat - then proceed with painting. [Wink]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denny Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Denny Smith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have access to Porter Paints in my area. I'm going to check with the local Sherwin Williams store to see what they recommend.

What type of projector works best for this application?

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Posts: 52 | From: Marion IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherwin-Williams also has DTM paints, Denny. They should work fine. I've been a long believer in oil paints, but they get crappier everyday, while latex gets better.

An opaque projector will work fine, but you're going to have to do it at nite. If you've done projecting before, you know you'll have to deal with distortions from the lens.

As Ron said, if it's not too complicated, it's easier to use the grid method; and you won't have to deal with the distortions.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

I'm not familiar with the grid method you guys are recommending.

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You make a scaled sketch and for instance 1" equals 1 foot (12") you have a grid of 1" squares on the drawing and then a grid of 12" squares (usually with a chalk line) on the building, then it's easy to sketch in the drawing on the building.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use the ribs as part of your grid.
If they are every 12' on center, then make your scale drawing at 12" - if they are 10" apart, then use that as a guide.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!