Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Hand lettering scene in new Indiana Jones movie - plus movie review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand lettering scene in new Indiana Jones movie - plus movie review
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a brief scene in the new Indy movie where a signpainter is hand lettering an office window. Some of you might find that interesting.

General review of the movie itself? Thumbs down.

Lame movie that offers nothing new or exciting. The main character is over-the-hill for an action character....and it's almost comical how Indy (Harrison Ford) performs miraculous physical maneuvers - obviously with the help of a decades-younger stunt double.

All I can say is .... don't waste your money. If you loved the smartly written script of the first Indy - Raiders movie... this one will let you down big-time. What a dopey ending.

The original Raiders movie was ground-breaking in it's non-stop action sequences. Unfortunately, since then these types of "adventure" movies have become such common-fare and cliche that another one - even with the Indy character is anti-climatic.

I actually dozed off four times or more during the movie.

Would have been nice if someone was being rude in the audience so's I could have some excitement! Hahahaha....just kidding folks.

Ironman is the one to watch.

[ May 23, 2008, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Todd, I loved Iron Man, and I'm not much of a superhero type of guy... the guys on the radio were talking about Indiana Jones this morning and I got the feeling they were a little let down themselves.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well- maybe the next sequel (due out in 2027) will be better. [Wink]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll pass on this one.
Ever see Badlands? Sissy Spaceks father(Warren Oates) in the movie is a sign guy, several scenes with him working or at his shop.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not about the movie. We go for the popcorn. [Rolling On The Floor]

Thanks Todd, we were going to go to either Iron Man or Indy. Iron Man it is.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys....

Never saw Badlands...sounds interesting though...

Dave - I saw both Iron Man and Indy..... and my personal opinion is that Iron Man was a 9.5 out of 10..... and Indy was a 3.5 out of 10.

I'd almost guarantee you'll like Iron Man very much if you're into the comic book super-hero movies....which I am.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's with all the comic book stuff aimed at adults now? It is really getting hard to go see a movie anymore with the selections available.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the Adults (baby boomers)grew up with the comics before all the techno animated tv crap David. and the Adults have the money, the kids will always be at the movies, but if you can get the Adults there too, well it's a big payday!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Baird
Resident

Member # 3495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Baird   Email Terry Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Girlfriend's son is going to the drive in tonight with his dad to see the double feature (Indy and Ironman) so I'm sure He'll give me the 16 yr. old point of view, lol.

--------------------
Terry Baird
Baird Signs
3484 West Lake Rd.
Canandaigua, NY 14424

Posts: 790 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janis & I went to Iron Man a few days ago... I loved it... Janis not so much. Its great entertainment!

Tonight we saw Indy... and we both loved it! Somewhat predictable but then again its one in a long series of movies and they stick to a working formula. There's plenty of surprises in the tried and true Indy style. Same old Indy humor which was great!

I give Indy a 8/10 in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry, I miss drive ins.You're fortunate if you still have one.Miss all that neon, the heavy metal speakers that didn't work and sneaking in 8 people in a station wagon.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Baird
Resident

Member # 3495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Baird   Email Terry Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend's son and my son both saw the double feature last night (Russell's 16 and my son Josh is 21) and they both thought Indy was awesome. The East Avon Drive-In has 3 screens, Darcy. They play first run movies and it's always packed. One of the differences though is , no more heavy metal speakers. The car stereo is tuned to the drive-ins station and it's broadcasted for better quality.

[ May 26, 2008, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Terry Baird ]

--------------------
Terry Baird
Baird Signs
3484 West Lake Rd.
Canandaigua, NY 14424

Posts: 790 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Durnford   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Durnford       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to do with the movies - just a bit of signmaker trivia to throw in.
Muhammad Ali's father was a sign Painter.

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design
142 Mill Street, Creemore, ON, L0M 1G0

Posts: 302 | From: Creemore, ON | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Ironman last night. Fantastic. My wife loved it too. Indy is next on the list.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also thought Iron Man was a great movie....and I usually don't go to the Super-hero flics. Now what about the Narnia sequel, anyone check that one out yet?

I think I'll go see it as soon as I get back to Milwaukee. I am in Sedalia MO this week for work...

c-ya

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Ironman is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time...

We've also seen "Narnia: Prince Caspian"... was a little disappointed for some reason. I didn't think it was as good as the "Wardrobe". Seemed less magical and more like your standard science fiction war movie. It's been years since I've read all the books, so I couldn't remember the story-line exactly, so can't say how close it was. Not nearly enough of Aslan...

It was still a good movie, well worth seeing, Dale. The special effects were awesome...

[ May 28, 2008, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

One of the main reasons the comic book movies have been so common is...and I know this may sound weird...is the post 911 atmosphere in Hollywood.

The first Spiderman movie featured a scene where a plane was crashing in New York and Spidey catches it in a web between the World Trade Center. The attacks happened before the release of the movie and the scene wound up being cut.

Gone now are the movies we all got used to where the "action heroes" always won. Guys like Chuck Norris, Sly Stallone, Steven Seagal and others have tried to continue that genre only to see that it's not holding up as well these days. Most of their movies involved airplane hijackings and terrorist attacks by middle eastern bad guys.
Hollywood's since watered things down to stay politically correct on "ethnic profiling" in a lot of cases. With the comic stories, the action remains, but the realism isn't quite there.

The current success isn't surprising when you look back on the history of comic book films and TV.
The Batman TV series was a well known for it's campy style, but like today's big budget movies, it did feature some great casting. Ceasar Romero, Eartha Kitt, Burgess Meredith, Vincent Price, Otto Preminger and others. The later Batman movies also did well with darwing in big names like Jack Nicholson, Arnold, Michelle Pfeiffer, Tommy Lee Jones, etc, but the camp remained.

Now we see names like Haley Berry, Robert Downey, Jr., Hugh Jackman and Edward Norton (in the upcoming "Incredible Hulk" movie). Unlike the campy roles before them, many have brought depth to the roles. Bill Bixby's role as the wandering scientist struggling with his inner demon was probably the first to break the cheesy mold that the genre was infamous for and the latest incarnation of the Hulk is very much in that style.

As a long time comic book fan, it's been a blast seeing all these movies roll out. Movie making technology has caught up with the vision of Stan Lee and Frank Miller, the creators of most of these characters, and with the way they have consistently broken box office records, more are on the way.

I just saw Indiana Jones. Love how the sign guy gets bumped while lettering. Very realistic!!! [Smile]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Todd was banned from the local theater?

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!