Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Lettering Tires

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lettering Tires
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pontential customer who want's to know if I can paint the lettering on the tires of his street rod orange. I've searched and found some online, but don't know if any of them are worth buying.

Has anyone done this before? If so, what did you use and what were your results?

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I painted the raised lettering on tires using XIM as a primer and Oneshot over it. It worked OK but it was definitely not a "permanent" fix.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can do it with automotive paint and RUBBER BUMPER ADDITIVE.....to keep paint flexible, but i wouldnt garontee it to hold for more then a couple days....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aqua coat

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know anyone in your area that does white walled tyres contact them, they will know the correct paint for a permanent fix

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Shot Poster Paint "sticks to rubber"

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is another one of those jobs you need to walk away from. time consuming and too many areas of fault

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SOme of the most long lasting "Signs" i have seen are hanging on fence posts in farmers field here in the Midwest, these "Signs" are white house paint lettered on tires which say.."No trespassing" some are over 30 years old!

I lettered a tire with Ronan Aqua Coat for a Carnival game where kids throw a football thru the tire...still looks great!

It CAN workout if you do it right.!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbara Fleming
Visitor
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara Fleming   Email Barbara Fleming       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did my tires about a month ago.....I first did it with a roller pen thing from Ebay, and my wonderful driving consisting of scraping the sides of sidewalks, wore a couple of the lettered tires slam off.

Then I tried white one shot, UCCKkk after about 2 weeks, they look like they have been through a desert ...terrible..terrible. If you find out a great paint...please let me know.

Just yesterday the guy I bought the tires from saw me in town, and said he had had 3 customers to ask how could you paint the lettering on tires and he told them to contact me.

It wasn't a real problem painting them...just real disappointed with them looking dirty.

My company name is BF GOODBRUSH, and I was trying so hard to see how I could turn BF GOODRICH on my tires into goodbrush*%&&$#@##!!!!
I decided, I wouldn't screw them up, but it was a fun thought.

PS As I laid down in my driveway doing the tires...I had some funny stares from folks. Being 52 years old...I guess it did look like I had lost my marbles...literally. My neighbor even hollared, he was just getting ready to call the ambulance, cause he thought I had fallen. HaHA....I guess it did look a little strange

Ta Ta Good Luck
Barb

--------------------
Barbara Fleming
BF Goodbrush
Columbia, NC

Posts: 12 | From: columbia,nc usa | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your help. I explained to the customer from the start that in no way could I guarantee anything as far is longevity. I told him I would do my best and he has no problem with it.

I decided to go with Mike's suggestion of using the Aqua Coat. Is there anything I should know about prep or application Mike? I've never used this product before.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just clean the surface real well and you can use denatured alcohol, as suggested by the manufacturer, to reduce. It will probably require a couple coats, but not always. I would suggest their color White White, the regular white has a purple tint like Chromatic fast dry background enamel. Then just wash up your (water based) brush with water, and the stubborn, dryer paint with an amonia product such as windex, or even the alcohol. For a job like this you can just use a cheap brush or something from an art store, but I use this all the time for painting on vinyl or something we are going to clear over here at the school, so I buy the waterbased quills from Mack Brush, thery're fabulous.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

What Mr. Heller said...What kinda rope are ya smokin' there Rick?

Good luck Barbara, make sure you post pictures...(I never can)

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just buy the cheaper brands, but they're pretty good. I like to keep the local cigar shop going! I think I was probably smokin Carlos Torano (with a little jalapeno above the N, or a Balmoral.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Thanks guys and gals, you have helped a lot!

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

I did the job sunday, the Aqua Coat was very easy to work with. I did 7 tires for him and although a couple of them were a PITA due to some chunks being torn off the letters, probably from handling and shipping them, hey looked great when they were done.

The car is a 39 Chevy Sedan and wad black Steelies with chrome trim rings and caps, the orange letting on the tires was just enough to set it off without overpowering anything.

Now to see how well they hold up. Again thanks to all for your suggestions

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!