Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » in Praise of MDO (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: in Praise of MDO
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do a lot of sidewalk signs (A-frames, sandwich boards, whatever you want to call them). I've never found anything better than MDO. These signs are usually hauled in every night, and taken out in the morning. They get knocked over by people, blown over by wind (50mph wind), rained on, and they still hold up. The MDO is heavy enough to keep them up in most weather, and resists dings and dents. It is easy to shape, and I don't have to worry too much about anybody cutting themselves on it.

I followed Mr. Chapman's advice from years ago (I think it was a magazine article) and round over the edges with a 1/8" roundover bit. One coat of primer each side and one coat of paint on the back and two coats on the face.

My very first one is still looking good 11 years later.

I'm now using an FSC-certified MDO. It is not as nice as the Simpson. The woodgrain swells up through the overlay, and there are voids. Still, wood is a renewable resource, and I feel good using this stuff.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Margeson
Visitor
Member # 9145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Margeson   Email Jeff Margeson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scooter...

Can you please explain "rounding over the edges with a 1/8" roundover bit." What is this and why does it help?

Thanks...

Jeff

--------------------
Jeff Margeson
High School Art Teacher
49 Kincaid St.
Bolivar, NY 14715
jmargeson@brcs.wnyric.org

Posts: 29 | From: Bolivar, NY | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff

It helps water drain away from the edge...keep paint on it better as well. Also the Bottom edge of a sign is even more important than the top..Where does the moisture sit? at the bottom.

You can also just use a block of wood and a piece of sandpaper or an orbital sander.

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Margeson
Visitor
Member # 9145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Margeson   Email Jeff Margeson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mike,

In this process, I'm guessing it is a slight erosion of the material, almost unnoticeable?

--------------------
Jeff Margeson
High School Art Teacher
49 Kincaid St.
Bolivar, NY 14715
jmargeson@brcs.wnyric.org

Posts: 29 | From: Bolivar, NY | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sort of...You'll definetly so an erosion of material if ya DON'T!

It's always better to do as much prep ahead of time, let dry in between coats etc. to ensure it's gonna work right.

I use west systems epoxy on my edges.

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weakest point of any paint film is where it goes over a sharp edge. There is a tendency for the paint to pull away from a 90 degree edge, so there is less paint there than anywhere else on the sign.

By rounding over the panel slightly there is no edge for the paint to have to go around and thus you get a more continuous paint film - hence, less breakdown.

You could use a quarter inch round-over bit with a router or just round over the edge with an orbital sander or sanding block.

It works.

P.S. to Mike: I always wondered why you walked that way.

[ May 21, 2008, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!