Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Will this work?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will this work?
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to make a shaped sign out of DiBond.
In the end, it will be mounted to the side of a building by the customer.
It will be pretty big, roughly 9'x14'.
Think of almost a diamond shape, horizontally stretched.
I was going to go to the lumber yard and buy 1"x3" boards and use them as supports to screw the shape together.
It would be one 4'x8' DiBond panel each on the bottom and top, with the middle portion being two 4'x8' DiBond panels butted on the short ends.
After assembly outside, as my garage is not big enough, I was going to project the design onto this shape. Then dis-assemble and cut with a jigsaw in the garage. And then hand-paint it.
[Smile]
(I can only get 4'x8' DiBond)
Can anyone think of a better way?
The client will re-assemble and install onsite. I will supply touch-up paint for the screw heads. I wish there was a way to not use screws, but if there is, I can't think of it.
Thanks.
Love....Jill
[Thanks]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would use Econolite for this project because you can get the edge clip thingies that slip into the flutes and keeps the edge stable.

Instead of the lumber, I would use the .032 aluminum tubing that Glantz sells. It is stable, never needs to be painted and you can use VHB to hold the darn thing together. I did the very thing you are looking to do, shape wise.

You might really want to reconfigure the design to be accomandated on an eight foot height. There will be savings in it for the customer and the logistics of scabbing on a one foot piece is eliminated. However, Econolite is available in ten foot lengths so that is an option as well.

I would treat the edges of the panels with the edge trim that Laminators sells for the Econolite panels.

If you have any questions how I did this, let me know!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jill! I Think Alumilite comes in 5'x 12' and 5'x 10' too you can use some of thieirs size which it will save you some time on putting together.
If you get two 5'x 10 and cut them to the right size.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aluminum tubing you say?
Sounds interesting. I will have to call Glantz.
Got them to ship me some Ronan in for this job.

I thought of trimming leftover Alumalite into strips and using those rather than the lumber, but it needs to be dis-assembled for transport.
So the double-sided tape may not be an option, altho I do have some.

I'm using DiBond because the customer did not want to see the corrugation on the edges of Alumalite. I would not use Econolite as I have had it buckle.
Love....Jill
PS
(I can only get 4'x8' sheets)

[ May 15, 2008, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Jillbeans ]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

I also enforce the use of the aluminum tubing, They sell the corners and T's to build a nice strong structure. You will need to pop rivet it together. I have built some good size signs bigger than your size, using Dibond as the face and the tubing as the back and it becomes very strong.

I don't doubt the VHB technique from bruce but I would end of using pop rivets to hold the sign in place to the frame for the final install. I love VHB but I question the longevity being outdoors if this thing is to be mounted on a wall.

I see you said your sign needs to be dissasembled, so screws might be your only option

[ May 15, 2008, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good thing too, because I do not know how to pop rivet!
If I call Glantz will they know what I'm talking about when I ask about tubes?
Love....Jill

Terry Baird
Resident

Member # 3495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Baird   Email Terry Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jill, a nice clean seam with no screws showing is pretty easy with Dibond. Rout a groove on the back of your piece (3/4 to 1" from the edge), just enough to break through the bottom face. Slot a groove on the the edge of a 2x4 with your table saw, slip the 2x4 over your dibond and bend the dibond to a 90 degree angle. Zip screw the pieces together from the back and your screws are all hidden. I've used this method to add up to 2" of demension to the sides of my signs as well.

--------------------
Terry Baird
Baird Signs
3484 West Lake Rd.
Canandaigua, NY 14424

Posts: 790 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just called 1"x1" aluminum tube as far as I know. We use lots, but it comes in 20'or so lengths so unless you get deliveries on their trucks it might not be an option with shipping.
1x3 boards would work, so would MDO or PVC(PVC won't rot either)

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rochon:
I don't doubt the VHB technique from bruce but I would end of using pop rivets to hold the sign in place to the frame for the final install. I love VHB but I question the longevity being outdoors if this thing is to be mounted on a wall.

VHB is amazing stuff and there is really no need to question it's abilities and longevity. It is used around the world in some very large buildings as a non-mechanical structural fastener as well as other long-term bonding solutions.

You need not to question it's longevity, just a need to properly research a product and it's uses in order to give well informed advice and have confidence in it's proper use.

See here for more...

http://mws9.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs66S1OgCOrrrrQ-

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glantz also has 4x10 omegabond, but not sure if they have all the colors.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,

Thanks for the link on the VHB that is chuck full of wonderful information. It says it last up to 25 years outdoors. I also see you need to use their cleaners and such.

Even though it is stated in print I would still question the longevity outdoors. At the cost of a few rivets I would sleep better an night not wondering if my insurance policy was good enough.

And that is well informed advice. Advice from my own personal experience, and I would guess your own personal experience would be to use VHB.

Thanks for posting that link. I may try VHB on some outdoor projects.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

And thanks to Broooce for the call.
Awaiting my delivery, then I am gonna pick the brain of my Glantz guy.
Love....Jill

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pleasure, my dear!

Always glad to help a sign damsel in distress!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,
VHB really is what it says, "Very High Bond". I used some to adhere some 1/4" acrylic to the exterior of a steel entrance door over 15 years ago. I needed to remove it recently. I needed a steel pry bar and the plexi came off in several pieces, the tape hung like steel to the door.

A friend/customer uses it to join aluminum doors together for pit carts and trailer cabinets for the professional motorsports industry. Has not had one fail in 8 years.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 592 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!