Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Learning a valuable lesson...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Learning a valuable lesson...
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess its the optimistic side in me, but I try to always learn from everything that I do, and my latest projects have been no exception.

I got a call from a gentleman that was looking for a graphic artist to create some artwork for a new venture that he and his wife were starting. He got my number from an old phone book, from when I first started out advertising that I was only a graphic artist. I go and sit with them, and in the course of the conversation, let him know that I have expanded to a full service sign shop. It became a very productive meeting, considering I walked away with the opportunity to bid his signs (a set of channel letters) plus interior pop signage.

After is was all said and done, I had walked away with a deposit check for a very nice job, and the promise of future work.

Well, the company that I chose to build the channel letters, not the cheapest that I got a bid from, but they certainly got my attention with the promise of a quick turn around times. They supplied some photos of past work, and I felt as if I had made the right decision as far as being able to trust them to deliver on time. I had another large project that I was working on at the time, so I gave them an opportunity to do both projects at the same time, and I could same a little money by picking up both projects together.

As a sign of good faith, I paid the entire balance of the signs up front. I had made plans of driving down to pick up the signs in the agreed upon 2 week production time. Well, the 2 weeks became 3, and so on, until I sit here 31 business days (6 1/2 weeks) after paying for the signs, with only a partial shipment to install.

Looking on the bright side, I got the channel letters to put up, and that customer was happy, but now I sit here trying to make excuses to another customer why his sign is not up. I did feel like I had to donate part of the job, which cost me in materials about $150, but the good will of the customer (which is for a church) brings me back into the good graces of my customer (for now).

The lesson that I learned from the whole experience is you have to occasionally have to watch out for yourself.

Ok, my attempt at a Grandpa Dan post is over. I guess I ought to get out there and dig some post holes.

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 749 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never pay the full amount up front (I guess you know that now anyway). It's a real shame when another company puts a tarnish on your work. At least you will have the satisfaction of never using them again.

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,
I've been there, done that. We sell alot more than we produce in house, and rely heavily on our suppliers.

Over the years we've found some great vendors, and some not so great.

When a vendor promises 2 week turn around and then it goes to 6 weeks, nobody wins... Unless you've paid 100% up front, then they win.

Most of the times that I find myself in your current situation, it is a combination of my vendor screwing up and me trying to meet an unreasonable deadline that was created by the customer not planning ahead.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I buy supplies or use a subcontractor, price is almost always secondary to service. When you choose to pay more for a product, and they don't deliver on time - or in your case, anywhere close - it's doubly irritating. [Mad]

Frankly, were I in your shoes, I'd talk to an attorney about writing these folks a letter. Was the two-week promise ever put in writing, or an email or anything else that can be documented? I'm not suggesting you take legal action, but sometimes a "shot across the bow" is needed to wake them up. At the very least I'd be demanding free shipment of the remaining product.

Good Luck.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately a lot fabricators live off their down checks and the only way you can achieve the results you expect is to front only the money it takes to purchase materials for that job...thats the incentive it takes to make them produce the job so they can get their "payday" check.

When they get all the money up front they actually feel like they aren't "making money" when they recieve nothing at the end of the job.

In short they spent your money and you had to wait til they got another down check to be able to start on yours.

Sounds like you've got it figured tho out and won't do what you did again ...just thought I'd point out what actually happened.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!