Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Price & performance check with those who do wide-format digital printing.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Price & performance check with those who do wide-format digital printing.
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just completed a project this morning which sold for $2668.00

The customer had an existing brick wall with a 22'x5.5' metal panel that he wanted to cover with a digital print. The print had to be installed on-site but was low enough that we only needed a 6' step ladder.

The design/layout time took about 4 hours (revisions, approvals and so on).

I farmed the job out to a wholesaler who charged me $750.00. The print was done with solvent inks on 3M 180c and laminated with 3M's satin-finish overlaminate (I can't remember the model number).

The client had his staff to remove the old decals.

We had to wash the surface, clean off any adhesive residue and then go back over with with Rapid Prep and then Rapid Tac.

It took my helper and me 3.5 hours to do the wash and install. We had never done anything like this before.

How did we do?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll guess your shop rate at about $85/hr.
7 hours = $595
So you got $2073 for the vinyl which sounds like you marked it up almost 3 times.

Some would say they would have charged more, but they probably wouldn't have gotten the job. Some would have charged less but won't admit it.

In my neck of the woods, you would have done just fine with those kind of numbers.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 913 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great for the first time. Can you tell us more about the set-up? Did the customer supply all the photos at high resolution. What dpi did you work at? Etc. Etc. This seems to be the hardest part (and most fun).
I know how quick the installation goes on flat surfaces. I charge $2.50 to $3 s.f. for most flat surfaces and make good money at that.
I saw the most beautiful banner used for a wall sign in Las Vegas. It was about 12'x60. I'd like to do some of those type of jobs.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Lucero
Visitor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Lucero   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn, I think you did great. We get $14 sq/ft retail for solvent prints on premium air release vinyl with a clear lamination. $1700 Add $200 for the clean up/set up and $400 for a local (within 10 mile) install. I would have quoted $2300.

You got a good deal from the guy who did the print/lam job...I would have charged you $1275

--------------------
Tony Lucero
Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI
www.eaglegph.com

Posts: 305 | From: Waterford, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glen,

Seems like you sold a profitable job! Your charges vs. expenses are very good.

The "wild card" is the design and layout.

If you charge the same "Shop Rate" for installs as you do for design, then based on the quality of work that I've seen from you, you are cheating yourself.

4 hours of design work could have the value of what you charged for the entire job!

Overall, I'd say you made good money. The question is:

Did you charge the full value of your work?

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The art and design wasn't all that much. It was mostly text. The client provided a perfect vector file of their logo. I took maybe 10-15 minutes to Photoshop it into a bronze casting. The headline was made to look like gold beveled lettering. A drop shadow was put behind everything and that was pretty much it. All of the rasterized portion was set at 125 dpi at full size. The rest was vectors. The entire Corel Draw file was about 90 megs.

-

-

What really took time were the revisions such as making the "bronze" lettering and gold beveled lettering look brighter. A couple times the client wanted to see the difference between a solid color background vs. a faux smalts background. That kind of thing. I think there were about 12 to 15 revisions before they settled on what they wanted. My shop rate is only $65 per hour.

I have to add that the clients were some of the nicest and easiest people to work with. I wish more people were like them.

They had placed the order back in early January but were willing to allow us to wait for decent weather since the install had to be done outside in a large field.

I'm looking forward to doing more work for them. They are looking to do a carved/smalts/gold leaf sign for the main entrance in a couple months. And, we did two new ambulances for them a few months ago.

I should add that I realize that the lettering, particularly the bottom text, is too close to the border. The client wanted everything as big as possible because the sign is about 300ft from the highway.

[ February 26, 2008, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say you did just fine.... also in my opinion working with a good client like that is worth something as well.. it is such a pleasure to work for such clients.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!