Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need help with file.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with file.
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

I have a PDF file from a client’s designer that my printer can’t use. It reads fine as a PDF but when it is places into another program the fonts get jiggy…

I contacted the designer about converting fonts to outlines but that was foreign to her… She tried a couple of time and was not successful. She informed my client that she was through trying. She had spent enough time on it… She did not tell me the native file format.

Can some one help here? I tried myself but was not successful either. I believe there must be a way in Acrobat.

Here is a link to the file:

http://www.talismansigns.com/uploads/raynhamreferral.pdf

Thanks,
Joe

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

"We are limited only by our perception of our abilities."

Posts: 445 | From: Middleboro, Ma USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I opened it in photoshop. 24 x 36 @ 72dpi. I can save it in whatever file format. Let me know and I'll send it to you.
Tom

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also havve a PDF file sent to me and if I open it in Illustrator and select a portion I see it is in a vector format, but I have not been able to separate the elements to use the part that I need. Any advice as to how to break this apart?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6731 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then why make it your problem? If she is DONE! with helping on this, call the customer and tell them to find a way to make it right. If customers want their stuff they will find a way.

I have pulled a few files into photoshop and I didnt like the resolution when I got thru messing with it. Ill give a file 1 chance to open, after that it's not my problem.

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe I emailed it to you as a 160 dpi .jpg...hope it is detailed enough.

A .psd file was 50.1 megs...too big to email.

[ November 19, 2007, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just broke up Joe's problem graphic using CorelX3 and had no problem, aside from about 5 minute's worth of editing the text in a couple of minor ways.

I would charge a small fee to cover what the "designer" should have done.

Rick, do you have Corel? I've tried Illustrator a few times but Corel is more fun.

It doesn't look like my help is needed here, but it was fun to look. One thing I like about pdfs is the pantone numbers always come through.

[ November 19, 2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Frank Smith ]

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was able to convert it to vectors with Illustrator. It's just under 6MB, so here is a link if you still need it.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the quick help all.

Si’s file would work but Russ’s has a little better resolution. I will send both to the printer.

Bruce “If customers want their stuff they will find a way.” I guess me asking for help here was “my way” of “finding a way” to keep the work of my client with me.

This is a good client of mine. He is exasperated with the designer’s attitude also. He paid for the design. He was out of options with her… I look at this as a learning experience too. We see this a lot as sign people. So we should learn to deal with it. Please don’t get me wrong; we should get compensated for the work.

Thank you, thank you again for the help,
Joe

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

Posts: 445 | From: Middleboro, Ma USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the full version of Acrobat just for these types of files. I can save .PDF's as .Eps's
all nice and vectored. It has saved me so much time over the years.

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back someone posted this link that I thought was really helpful.

It explains how to import a PDF into Illustrator, and extract the font vectors, even if the font is not installed on your system.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom thanks for the info and thanks for the follow up Russ.

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your E-File.

RavenGraphics/2007

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, it was Fred Weiss who posted it in response to a comment of mine- it's good stuff!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!