Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » SUPPLIERS & INANE MARKETING PRACTICES

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SUPPLIERS & INANE MARKETING PRACTICES
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just me (but I don't think so)...

What possible purpose can be served by selling 18"x 24"x .040 aluminum blanks that are black on one side and white on the other? Or for that matter blue or red or green all with white on one side.?

Has anyone ever seen a real estate sign thats red on one side and white on the other?

Do they expect me to buy two of them and mount them back to back in the frame so I can have a double faced sign with the same color on each side? (truthfully that would be cheaper than painting the second side)

Then they suggest that I buy a 48" x 96" double faced black .040 panel (quote) " We sell a lot of those" DUH!!! ok ok ...so I buy the 4 x 8 and now I HAVE TO CUT IT... to get my black on black.

Can't tell you how many times I've explained it to them and they just don't get it (or won't get it)

Another mystery item COROPLAST...Why do they make you go against the grain of everything you've been taught for 40 years about how things are measured...Always height before width...but if you want the damned flutes to be the right way you have to order them opposite..example (for those that haven't experienced this bit of wisdom)
"the flutes run the length of the last dimension you give them (AT MY SUPPLIERS ANYWAY)...in otherwords if you sell the customer an 18"x24" sign you must order the material as a 24"x18" to get it right...but they don't realize how many mistakes this creates and yet they admit...and get this... "people get it wrong all the time...we are constantly changing them out"...Can't they understand it costs them time on the phone & double the gas money (ACTUALLY I HAVE TO PAY THE GAS SURCHARGE ON THE DELIVERY I GET WRONG AND ON THE ONE I GET RIGHT)...not to mention I am now a ****ed off customer.

ARRRRGGGHH...THATS MY RANT FOR THE DAY LETS HEAR ABOUT YOUR SUPPLIERS INANE MARKETING SKILLS!!!Surely you have some to add to this.

I'm going home now...(where there are no suppliers!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monte Jumper:
Why do they make you go against the grain of everything you've been taught for 40 years about how things are measured...Always height before width...

Ummmm...both of the picture frame shops I worked at always put width first, so did the glass company. The cabinet shop always put height first, unless it was a certain salesman who always put the smaller number first. Around here an 18" x 24" is an 18x24, regardless of which way it's oriented. I draw little arrows so there aren't any questions. Our supplier just asks us if we want the flutes 18" wide or 24" wide.

Granted, I'm a about 20 years short of having 40 years of experience but I've got to ask...where'd the height first rule come from?

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry but height has always been first since the first day I went to work...maybe I was trained wrong. But I'll go you one better...if there was ever any doubt in your mind which was which the work orders at my first shop was always marked "landscape or portrait"

In other words 4x8's were landscape and 8x4's were portrait.

Maybe I just live in a weird world perhaps I should have taken the drugs when they were offered ...i dunno...anyway my rant is over:)

--------------------

Monte Jumper
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learned the same here, didn't know any different till I started dealing with other trades.
Alos ticks me off about the two colored panels,
it makes no sense.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thas cuz you are serviced by the children of the corn..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 2 colored alum. makes NO sense. I love it when they say, "buy 2 & put them back to back."
Idiots! [Bash]
No, I don't think so. How about YOU stock blanks with the same color on both sides, how bout dat? Seems like a better solution, eh?

It always burns me when they don't have a vinyl color, "cus they don't sell that much"

They're usually multi million dollar companies... Why they don't stock a few $40.00-$50.00 items that they don't sell much is beyond me. It would probably even impress someone into doing more business maybe? I dunno.

I'm forced to buy whole 50 yard rolls of "baby crap green" & sit on it for years. [Bash]

This could easily go on & on. I feel your pain Monte!

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taught to remember "wheel" for width, height, length

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's length /height here in OZ in most things

2400mm x 1200mm (8'x 4') etc

But like you Monte the flutes seem to run the other way!!!! I get confused. So when I buy my 600x900 (2x3) and 900x600 (3x2) 3mm corflute I get a 50 pack of each ... seem to use about the same portrait and landscape anyway. The 2400x1200 5mm comes landscape only.

If there is any confusion with customers I usually add "L" and "H" to the specs (2400mm L x 1200mm H) or ask the customer to do likewise.

But it can be frustrating I agree.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Lyman
Visitor
Member # 3280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Lyman   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about when I buy red dibond and it is yellow on the back side or green with blue on the other side?

I really don't understand that at all.

JAKE

--------------------
Jake Lyman
Lyman Signs
45 State Road
Phillipston, MA 01331

Posts: 635 | From: Phillipston, MA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man I had to do this just yesterday, buy a 4'x8' .040 (the only gauge that comes in colors of course) aloonimum sheet cut to two 18"x24"s.
All that waste for a stupid little real estate sign.
I always cut the coro myself so that's not a problem, but this color-one-side thing on blanks is a PITA.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One really plausable reason for having a color on One side & white on the other would be for fabricating channel letters; where the outside return can be any color (pre-painted) & the insides would be white, for most reflectivity for illumination purposes (especially when capped). The industry is probably more apt to cater to channels than real estate.

(edited)
I really shoulda read the question more intently instead of flying off with that answer. My answer would've been appropriate for larger pieces than 18x24's. Please disregard - unless you find it useful.

(can I unedit it?)

& stand by my original thought just to say that the smaller pieces were probably cut from the aforementioned larger ones.

[ September 14, 2007, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Bill Cosharek ]

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of this aluminum sheeting is manufactured for other industries than ours. For instance, semi-trailers. I've also seen it used on interior commercial refrigerated areas (walk-in boxes). Maybe the demand in these and other areas requires huge quantities of the stuff to be made for them. And of course, the leftovers could then be sold to sign suppliers at a somewhat cheaper rate.

At least, that's a theory.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one that's been driving me nuts is calling companies who advertise they sell One Shot and finding out they don't have half the colors in stock.
Some are just plain selling off what they have in inventory, usually the less popular colors, and dropping it all together soon.

The college art stores around here dropped it years ago with the reason "No one uses paint any more. They do everything on computers these days."

I think the assumption could become a self fulfilling prophecy.
No one can paint if no one sells paint.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monte, I hear ya. I really appreciate the suppliers who have customer service (sales) people who have signshop experience vs. the everyday hacks who are just there to process orders, and have NO idea as to what they are selling.

I must say that Mid-West Sign & Screen Printing Supply (Milwaukee or Minneapolis anyway) has the most helpful staff I have worked with in 25 years.

On your other rant, the photography and printing industry ha always used width first, height second. I can only surmise that some walldog of old, when asked to paint a bulletin or wall, the first thing that pops into his head was, "how tall?", knowing that height was an important factor compared to the length.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 591 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monte, Monte, Monte. I've found that a nice nap helps problems like that.

Don't try to figure out the system. Just go with the flow.

Why are wieners sold eight to a package and hot dog buns are six to a package?

Why does the price of gas always end in 9/10ths?

Why do you have to press Start to stop a computer?

Why are they called hot water heaters? If the water is hot, why would you want to heat it?

I'll just keep making signs and leave all the important questions up to the intellectuals.

I feel your pain, though. We only order one item from a local supplier (MDO) and they still manage to get the order wrong most of the time. Yesterday we had a shipment arrive of 3/4" MDO. For 40 years I've used raw (unprimed) Good Two Sides, and have never ordered anything else. Yesterday's shipment was primed, Good One Side. Go figure. The shipping invoice was right - they just loaded the wrong thing.

OK - time for a nap.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, downunder, it's always been the trait to use the biggest number in a pair first-
Timber is 3x2", 4x2", 8x2", or metricated 75 x 50, 100 x 50 etc.

Corro (corflute) size is specified by the side with the flute along it first, so 900 x 600 has the flutes running 3 feet long, while 600 x 900 has 2 foot flutes across it. That's the one we use mostly- portrait direction.

At least that's with all the suppliers I've used.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Ok... still dealing with with and height issues...I never thought much about it before this post but chances are pretty good that when I bought my first Gerber Gaphix Advantage if they had listed the width first height second on the sizing tools I never would have bought the program...that would have been a shame!

At least they agree that I could have been taught right!

That means a lot!

--------------------

Monte Jumper
jumpers@itlnet.net

KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey its an alpabetical thing too..h comes b4 w.

did ya know dibond is only good on one side? yep the side that has the protection on it. good to know after i've made hundreds of 2 sided parking signs. oh well....whatta ya do? nap time!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!