Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » "rust" paint demo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "rust" paint demo
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a detail from a job I'm working on today. This is a faux rust finish. I did it using Sophisticated Finishes. You apply two coats of iron metalic paint (iron filings in a polyacrylic base) and then a few light coats of Rust Antiquing Solution (Amonium Chloride and Copper Sulphate).

It's been nice and warm here, so everything is drying quickly. The rusting agent was drying too quickly, so I sprayed on some water (H2O) from a spray bottle and that helped it along.

When it was rusty enough, I coated it with two coats of matte clear coat. I used Ronan Vinyl Coat, which is a flat, waterbased clear. (I think its the same stuff as Ti-Coat, but with extra UV blockers). Two coats dried quickly and dead flat. The clear will prevent the rust from washing off the sign and staining the building and the sidewalk below it. It also filled in the texture enough so I could apply the Arlon gold vinyl.

An eggshell finish might have been a better choice. When it was all done it ended up looking like I had painted the surface, rather than going to the trouble of using the "real" rust. But, it probably took just as long, and probably has more variety than I would have done. (although, now that I have something to match, it would be easy for me to do so.)

This is from a 2-sided blade sign, 30" x 36". There is a 7' x 4' panel I'm doing that will have some painted gold acrylic letters (Gemini). The small panels show the detail of the rust better.
 -

-

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good looking sign Scooter.

I know how exicting it is to use this type of finish. When you paint on the first dull gray coat, there isn't a hint of how dyanmic is will turn out.

Like you, I'm sold on the process. I've also used the Copper, and Brass finishes. Looks good on custom carved letters also.

Keep up the good work.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use gallons of this stuff regularly in our shop. As Joe states above, their other metalic finishes are great too!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is too cool Scooter. I know you probably had to use their sacred cow but the logo sure would have looked nice with a thin brown outline. The background is fantastic!

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, Ricky, a dark border would look nice. Since this was the customer's logo, and their concept, and my first time painting a rust background, I just "gave them what they asked for."

my fear was that the customer might have expected an even rust color. (there are some special sprayed paint coatings that mix black and brown and red into a spatter texture that looks like rust from a distance, and its a very even-all-over color.)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. I'm really getting to enjoy the look of rust, patina, texture and distressed backgrounds. Maybe it's because that's the way my paint jobs turn out anyway.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!