Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Awning graphics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awning graphics
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the preferred method of awning decoration?

We normally buy awnings with the graphics included from wholesale suppliers. We currently have a job to install new Sunbrella fabric on existing (brand new) frames.

I have the option of hiring a local awning fabricator with or without the graphics. If he includes the graphics he will be using heat transferred vinyl, which is what our wholesale supplier uses.

I'm nervous to use this fabricator because it will be the first time and it's part of a relatively large and important project.

How do you heat transfer the graphics onto fabric? What equipment is required?

Are we better off painting the graphics on (simple lettering in this case) and if so, how would you recommend we do that?

[ June 28, 2007, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Paul Luszcz ]

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have silkscreened sunbrella & have seen it 10 years later looking excellent, so I would expect that is a better choice then an iron on, but if large wholesalers are goinf with iron-ons now... I may be wrong. 10 years is pretty good though & it's time tested & proven. If you are not set up for the printing on that scale, sometimes there are guys that do canvas work for boats, so they might have a silkscreen guy to refer you too. The prints should be done before any sewing, so less is lost if someone screws up.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Paul,
At one shop I worked at, we used eradication and and intermediate vinyl a lot. The eradication was done with a reverse cut vinyl mask and worked great. I don't recommend intermediate vinyl, but it looked good for a few years. I've seen several awnings recently, where we used intermediate, and they're all starting to fail - almost like the Avery issue.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a paint mask and roll on 2 coats of acrylic gloss latex. Peel the mask before the latex is completely dry.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Si said.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do several Sunbrella awnings each week. We use HP vinyl for mask, paint the first coat the same color as the awning to seal the edges and then finish coat once that is dry. We use flat 100% acrylic house paint and usually wait until the next morning to pull the mask. We get very crisp edges on our copy using this technique.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Glen Raven (the maker of Sunbrella) suggests: click here

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting Jon, I'll bet that is the heat transfer method the big wholesale outfits Paul mentioned are doing.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do this kind of work all the time and I use Fabtac as a mask which I apply and use an iron on to increase the bond as the heat activates the glues to a higher degree than just pressure.

Then usually it's just one coat of screen ink and put a fan on it overnight, peel away from the paint and finished!

I used to use David Hardings system but find this to be a more effective system.

I think that Fabtac will cut you graphics for you if needed.they are on the web.

[ June 29, 2007, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Miles Cullinane ]

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our awning contractor has the sgs graphics machine. and by the time I mask and paint they can already heat seal the vinyl on the sunbrella very inexpensive in my opinion. the lettering looks great

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!