Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » help, plotter being really wierd!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help, plotter being really wierd!!
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, this only happens on a panic day when I have a deadline....

I've never had this happen before:

Plotter is cutting letters way smaller than I am sending them..
i.e.: a four inch letter is coming out 3 inches....
I restarted the computer, shut everything down, did a test piece, a 4 1/2 inch tall letter....it cut it 3 1/2 tall.
I'm pulling out my hair!!!
What could be going on!!???? [Mad]

I have a banner to finish tonight, and have just about run out of the color I needed with the screw ups....
I can't afford to waste anymore.

Thanks in advance...

A [Frown]

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrienne,
That happened to my plotter one time. What program/plotter are you using?
I don't remember exactly what fixed it but I did have to send my Mimaki plotter to the manufacturer to get a motherboard not long after I purchased my plotter. I hope your problen is just something simple like a setting in your sign program.
Hopefully someone else will post with the solution.
Judy
Good luck!
JUdy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what cutting program you are using Adrienne but mine has a Factor or percentage function for scale of letters. I use it to scale plotted paper patterns.

My setting are a ratio 1:1, 1:10 etc ... yours might be a percentage ... sounds like it's set on 75%.

Hope this helps

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought, but have you checked to see if your unit of measurements are in inches or mm (metric). There is usually a place in the software where the unit of measure can be set and every now and then it will change for no apparent reason.

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was they converted to curves before cutting? If they were, you must be wary of extreme control nodes which will make a smaller design appear larger than expected. This can be corrected by placing one node at each extreme edge (at North, South, East & West); & be sure control points don't exceed their limit.

Edited to say: Any graphic with these extreme points will give a false reading to its actual size. Exact size may be smaller than measurements.

[ May 21, 2007, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Bill Cosharek ]

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, none of the above.
I did a bunch of cutting this week, everything fine.
I had to do a recut today to change copy on the banners I was working on and that's when it started.

I did nothing different, since I'm out of time will have to try to cut bigger to see if I get close and redo the entire line of copy instead of changing two words.

BTW.. I'm running Corel 8 software and my plotter is a Roland Camm-1

Thanks
A:)

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is consistent in the new size, you might be able to set a scale factor until the problem is resolved. Cut a 10" box and measure the exact dimensions. If it cuts it at 7.75", divide 10 by 7.75 and you get 1.29032. Multiply that by 100 and you will have 129.032%. Scale up your graphics by that amount before you cut them and they will cut the correct size.

If it is really weirding out and your box is something like 7.75" on the X dimension and 8.25" on the Y axis, use the same procedure to find the scale factor. X would be 10/7.75=129.032% and Y would be 10/8.25=121.212%. When you rescale for cutting, do a non proportional rescaling, multiplying the height and width by their respective amount.

When I have to do something like the above, I do my rescaling on a copy of my original. That way, I still have the correct one for reference and later use.

I had to do something like that for a while when I got a beta software upgrade that was somewhat scrambled until patched a few days later.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found I had overlooked the fact that the line of copy I was trying to cut had a 'Q' in it so it was reading the largest letter of course.(duh!)

But I also noticed when I went to turn the image 90 degees to cut it shrunk the copy just a little. [Confused]

It's very strange and it's too late for my brain to understand any of this...I'm going to bed, maybe I'll look into it tomorrow.

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!